Mission Objective: Create Halo Armor by Next Halloween

Status
Not open for further replies.
By next Halloween did you mean 2011 or the one coming here in a few weeks? Personally goal is to have a set ready for the 31st. I started on the 3rd. :D

I'm also in the same boat that you are when it comes to scaling. I'm 6' ft. 135 lbs. with thin, long legs and arms. It's extremely difficult for me to get the pieces to fit properly on my body. I've finished a helmet that I am happy with, but the forearm I've pepped is about 3 inches too short in length and 4-5 inches oversized at the part where it reaches my elbow. Needless to say it looks ridiculous on me. The problem is that if I scale it up any larger for added the length it'll look more like a thigh piece than an arm piece. I really wish I could figure out a way to fix it without having to make a pep model from scratch. The only other option I can think of is to cut each piece right down the middle and re-glue the severed halves overlapping each other to reduce the void that exists between my arm and the armor. Or maybe trying to make an extension to the existing pieces that are too short. I just don't want it to look disproportional when I get finished with it. I'll take some pics of what I've finished so far and put them up here for you guys to help me out with tomorrow. Right now though it's time to call it a night and get some sleep.

One more piece done! At least i got the scaling right for this one! well it may be a little wide for my skinny arm, but nothing a lot of padding cant fix! I also finished a boot, but im scraping that since i found a better boot file im gonna go with, also having already built a boot, im going to be able to scale it even closer to the size of show im planning on using. More to come soon!

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

Night Fury
By next Halloween did you mean 2011 or the one coming here in a few weeks? Personally goal is to have a set ready for the 31st. I started on the 3rd.

I'm also in the same boat that you are when it comes to scaling. I'm 6' ft. 135 lbs. with thin, long legs and arms. It's extremely difficult for me to get the pieces to fit properly on my body. I've finished a helmet that I am happy with, but the forearm I've pepped is about 3 inches too short in length and 4-5 inches oversized at the part where it reaches my elbow. Needless to say it looks ridiculous on me. The problem is that if I scale it up any larger for added the length it'll look more like a thigh piece than an arm piece. I really wish I could figure out a way to fix it without having to make a pep model from scratch. The only other option I can think of is to cut each piece right down the middle and re-glue the severed halves overlapping each other to reduce the void that exists between my arm and the armor. Or maybe trying to make an extension to the existing pieces that are too short. I just don't want it to look disproportional when I get finished with it. I'll take some pics of what I've finished so far and put them up here for you guys to help me out with tomorrow. Right now though it's time to call it a night and get some sleep.

My next halloween I dont mean the one comming up, lol! I just started a little over a week ago, but i got about half of my suit pep'd now. If i had the funds to finish the suit by this halloween i might go for it, but unfortunatly, once i get finished pep'in my armor, ima have to play the wait game till i get more money to start resin'ing and glass'n my armor. As for the problem with scaling, i know completly where your comming from. How im dealing with this problem tho is im scaling the armor for the length of my individial body parts (shin, thigh, forearm, etc) then im just gonna pack ALOT of padding into the armor so it fits snug to my body. I think its gonna feel kinda cool to "look" way bigger then i'll ever be able to get! haha. You can see in my pic of the forearm piece, its 3" wider then my arm all the way around at the widest part of the armor. Hopefully i can buy some cheap padding!

Lol! Have you done your biceps yet? I just finished one of mine and I could probably fit three of my arms inside of it.

I have not done my bicep yet. I plan on doing that as soon as i finish my boot im getting ready to work on. Reason im doing my boot is its gonna tell me whether i have to redo my shin piece to make it longer, cuz right now im not quite sure its long enough. Im sorta jumping around to different pieces of armor just cuz im trying to have fun with it at the same time. Ima be doing the MK VI HD shoulder for my shoulders. Just curious but what shoulder file did you use, and what scale did u go with? i did the MK VI HD forearm at scale 465.522422, Height- 330, Width- 177, Depth- 149 and got the results you see above.

Finished my re-build of the boot, since the my first boot build was the a little too big in my opinion. The good news is that now that I was able to try the boot on with the shin piece, i decided that i will not have to rebuild the shin. My fears were that the shin piece was not gonna go low enough on my leg and there was gonna be a big gap between the bottom of the shin and the top of the boot. There is still a gap, but its a gap i can deal with. Here are the pics of the boot and ones with the shin piece on too. sorry if their a tad blurry, it was hard holding the camera perfectly still and trying to get the right shot at the same time! lol

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

What scale did you use for the boot and how big is your shoe in mm?

What scale did you use for the boot and how big is your shoe in mm?

my shoe is 317.5 MM long X 114.3 Inches high, roughly. Doing the MK VI HD boot the scale i used was 61.741501, Height- 152 Width- 167, and Depth- 310. The shoe fits Perfectly into the armor, but it might be a little tight to get my foot in once the armor is hardened. the plus side is I wont need much padding to put in the armor to make my shoe fit properly! lol

I've gotta say that your pep work is REALLY clean. This build is looking really good so far. I'm going to have to build my suit for next year as well since I don't have enough funding. Hopefully your scaling will work and pieces will fit nicely, good luck

the pep work looks grate, amazing .. where did you find the shin?? I been looking for that shin, it looks better than the one I havee

the pep work looks grate, amazing .. where did you find the shin?? I been looking for that shin, it looks better than the one I havee

Umm, i cant quite remember the exact thread i found the shin from, but it came from the package that had a lot of different armor's in it. Ive been to so many threads, read so much, and downloaded quite a few packages in the past few weeks that i cant quite remember... lol. If you have MSN messenger you can add me, or send me a email at Vahn363@hotmail.com and I could give you the file.

Thanks for all the compliments on my pep'in, it really fuels the drive to continue producing quality work! Also if anyone has any questions on the scale ill be more then happy to tell you what scale im using. Keep in mind tho im 6'1"-ish, 130 pounds, so im tall and skinny. being the build I am the scale is really hard to nail so ill be more then happy to help if im able to!

BTW, right shoulder should be done be tomorrow and i should be postin pics. Sorta took a gamble on the scale, so cross your fingers and hope i got it right!

Hopefully i can buy some cheap padding!

If you go to your local Wal-Mart try looking for some foam egg crate padding for like a twin bed, Its like 20 dollars and you can trim or add to it really easily with a sharp pair of scissors. As for attaching the padding to your pieces I used Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone, that stuff works great because elmers glue and super glue don't stick for nothing.

Well finished the shoulder late last night. Fits perfectly length wise, but being so skinny, its a little wide as with all the armor ive built so far. O well, extra Padding FTW. for anyone thats curious the scale i used is 68.524739, Height- 330 width- 190 Depth 162. Its about 13 inches long, which like i said is perfect in height so I couldnt scale it any tighter to my arm otherwise i would lose the height part of proportion.

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

If you go to your local Wal-Mart try looking for some foam egg crate padding for like a twin bed, Its like 20 dollars and you can trim or add to it really easily with a sharp pair of scissors. As for attaching the padding to your pieces I used Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone, that stuff works great because elmers glue and super glue don't stick for nothing.

Thanks for The Idea Bullseye! i forgot all about the foam egg crate padding. Just curious tho, do you know how well it takes to being spray painted? or is there possibly a Cheap way to die it black so that it will blend in well with the armor? Since my build's gonna be padding heavy, I need the padding to match color with the armor so its not so noticable.

Still looking great. Looks like you might be a bit ahead of me. I got my left shin done as well and have the same problem. It catches right on the bottom of by heel about 1/2 way through and then again at the very end. It's the second one I've pepped. The first one was way too small lol. Would you remember by any chance what scale you used for your thighs? I'm about to start on mine and I don't want to have to end up doing it twice like I did the shin and forearm. I think we're about the same body size so it should fit me fine. Posted a link to my thread in my signature if you want to check out my build.

man I wish i had my exact measurements of my thigh pieces, but those are actually the second pieces i built, right after my helm, and i didnt write them down and since i dont have the full version of pep program, i couldnt save it. I did measure them just now and there right in between 13 1/2 and 14 inches long (around 343 MM). These are actually the tightest fitting piece i have made for my suit so far, will be just enough room for a small layer of padding and my undersuit. Although if i were to do them again, i would do them a TAD bigger, not much, just a little bit. I think the best way to figure out scale tho is to measure your own thigh, input the numbers and see what the other measurments are, width and depth. Then figure those dimensions out in inches and cross reference it with your own thigh. I usually play around with my numbers some before deciding on a final print. Hope this helps you.

In other news, some drunk idiot hit my truck while it was parked, didnt do much dmg but because its a older model, and the dmg is on key parts of my truck (bed, cab, and door) the insurance company of her's might just have to mark it as totaled and pay me out 90% of what my truck is worth, and i get to keep the truck. So were im getting at with this story is i MIGHT just MIGHT have the funds i need to finish my costume. I find out in about 2 hours, and if this does happen the way im hoping, then its gonna be crunch time on my armor building with a new goal for my dead line! This HALO-WEEN! hahaha! I know its not wise to rush the armor building process, but we have wonderful weather here in cali right now, perfect for he drying of resin and fiberglass, and if anything, i could always repaint my armor after halloween since the paint job is the only thing i could forsee myself losing quality on due to rushing. So Everyone cross their fingers for me!

Your pep work is superb! Especially, considering you don't use edge ideas or color variations for your lines! NICE WORK

Ok It's crunch time!!!

So I ended up getting a nice little chunk of money and I have all the funds I need to finish this armor. So new goal is THIS HALOWEEN!!!! yes you heard correct, ima try to finish pepin the last half of the suit, and get it all resin'd, fiberglassed, painted and padded by halloween. Dont worry, im not rushing my work, still gonna put quality work into it, and if i dont get done by halloween i will not be dissapointed. I have nothing to do between now and then as in work/school wise besides one class, so i should have adequate time to get this completed. hopefully.

Here is a pic of the supplies i have bought so far:

IMG_2620.jpg

And here is my safty gear test, as well as my backup halloween suit if i do not finish my armor in time:

Bio_hazard.jpg

Time to pep my ass off!!! haha!

Some Progression Pics from today, got the helm fully resin'd and fiberglassed along with one boot and right forearm resin'd.

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

I didnt even know my g/f took this pic till I was uploading my helm pics onto the computer, sneaky like a ninja!

IMG_2623.jpg

Next in line for fiberglass:

IMG_2625.jpg

I did get the toe piece of the boot fully fiberglassed, since it was my test piece to make sure i knew what i was doing! Also finished pep'n my left forearm while waiting for resin's and fiberglass to dry. All in all not a bad days work in my opinion. Starting to feel like this goal of finishing by halloween is even more realistic then i thought!

Impressive!

Your work looks superior, excellent use of your safety equipment and work space, time managment skills (working on two things at once) also excellent. It appears that to make your self-imposed deadline, you've got the plan :)

Here's a update, not gonna say much cuz im tired as hell, so ill let me pics do the talking for me.

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

The forearms are padded and ready for final spray aswell as helm. Chest is pepped and should be under construction starting tomarrow. 4 pieces left to pep, everything else well underway to being completed! 11 day's left, so no time to relax yet!

Quick update on my progress. Helm is pretty much finished, along with the gauntlets. everything else is in the fiberglass/paint stages cept for left shoulder, right shin, right boot, and hand plates. My goals is to finish all that i have done plus the shin and the shoulder by halloween. the glove and the boots can totally wait till afterwords.

Chest and Shoulder:

IMG_2656.jpg

Me messing around with helm:

IMG_2660.jpg

Wore this a week before halloween to my g/f's halloween dance, not finished but worth wearing (considering i had nothing else to wear):

IMG_2663.jpg

Cod piece pep'd:

IMG_2673.jpg

Various pieces of armor in various stages:

IMG_2675.jpg

helm:

IMG_2678.jpg

helm again:

IMG_2680.jpg

so the only thing left for the helm is to seal off the visor, which i have the sealant already, black ofc, and just lagging on the seal. ill get it done ofc. as of today chest piece, both thighs, COD and shin piece are all sanded and ready for paint. Still gotta pep the other shin and shoulder tho to achieve my goal by halloween. In all reality, if it dont rain for the rest of the week, I should have this done. SHOULD being the key word.

This is by far one of the most epic things i have ever done, and I am 100% thankful in this site for ALL the info I have used from it. You guys area awesome!!!! hard to believe only a week ago that helmet of mine was only paper...! Simply Amazing! Thank you 405th and I really hope you enjoy my work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back