MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no such thing as too much battle damage or weathering. Our experience in CG has always been that everything has to be overdone so much that it looks nearly ridiculous to the creators to 'sell' the piece. One of the reasons why all the armor in the Thor pre-release pictures looked so fake - it was all just far too pristine.

Very nice job on the whole armor so far, can't wait to see it finished!

How did u cover up the seam? or was there any?

I will be doing video tutorials on how I make my armour but still waiting till I can afford to fix my camera with the HD video on it (Nikon D7000). Going to send an email tomorrow for the go ahead as finally saved enough. It's not my main camera but I will need it for a wedding shoot I have in a couple of weeks so it needs doing.

How did u cover up the seam? or was there any?

I will be doing video tutorials on how I make my armour but still waiting till I can afford to fix my camera with the HD video on it (Nikon D7000). Going to send an email tomorrow for the go ahead as finally saved enough. It's not my main camera but I will need it for a wedding shoot I have in a couple of weeks so it needs doing.

There is no such thing as too much battle damage or weathering. Our experience in CG has always been that everything has to be overdone so much that it looks nearly ridiculous to the creators to 'sell' the piece. One of the reasons why all the armor in the Thor pre-release pictures looked so fake - it was all just far too pristine

Yeah I know what you mean. Every time I walked passed my suit in my office it just didn't look real so finally pulled my finger out my arse and got a real paint job done. The most fun bit will be the chest claw marks cause I can really go to town on those. Might even glue a load of foam in behind or I am gunna have holes in the armour once I am done with it :p

Update on new paint job. The bits on the back are silver not white. I know they are normally black but I liked the contrast, looks less flat I think. I will be doing more to the torso as its not completely painted.

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Wow, Foam is phasing out Pepakura pieces. The amount of flexibility you have when making battle damage is alot cleaner and easier than Bondo and the like.

This looks outstanding drack. That's one heck of a cat fight you got into, lol. :D

Do you plan to drybrush more damage on the armor? Right now there are those nice large claw marks and chipped paint on the edges, but the areas between them are a bit flat. There should be a gazillion thin scratch marks and other kinds of damage to break up the monotone green. It doesn't have to be as accented as the large claw marks though.

This is a nice example of what I mean:
http://images.hollywood.com/site/avengersnewestpicsironmanbeams.jpg

Yeah I was thinking the same about there being to much clean on there. I am adding the fight to the suit as a little story in my mind. Once I finish the torsos big claws'n'blasts I will start on scuffs'n'scrapes. I wish had bookmarked a helmet build, MKV I think it was in yellow that has a really good scuff job done on it.

I figured that now Masterchief has his new armour I must own his old hand me down which would have taken many knocks by now after all the battle it's seen :p

I have bought some para boots and will attach the 3 parts to them with 150mm corigated pipe for the area that bends in the middle like longshot did. I will also be adding extra foam to the bottom for extra height and a layer of rubber underneath so the foam doesn't wear.

Catching up on your armor, looks great. How did you get the paint to look so nice? Whenever I paint foam it looks weird.

Catching up on your armor, looks great. How did you get the paint to look so nice? Whenever I paint foam it looks weird.

First I coat the foam with a layer of plastidip. This gives it a nice smooth finish and seals it up. Then 2-3 coats of primer. Finally hand paint with acrylic paints. That's it really no special technique. The only part I guess that makes the nice finish is the plastidip foundations.

First I coat the foam with a layer of plastidip. This gives it a nice smooth finish and seals it up. Then 2-3 coats of primer. Finally hand paint with acrylic paints. That's it really no special technique. The only part I guess that makes the nice finish is the plastidip foundations.

lol Thats probably why, thanks. I used 2 coats of primer and then 2 coat of spray paint.

Coming along awesomely, it seems to be very rare to see heavily battle damaged foam builds, did it give you trouble when gouging it out?

We have two master armor makers, one pepping and one foaming, it's very interesting seeing how each progresses, and to see the tutorial videos you're both making.

Your work is fantastic man, it looks a ton better with the weathering, though you've always had one of the best foam skills I've seen anywhere. Great job, keep up the good work!

Coming along awesomely, it seems to be very rare to see heavily battle damaged foam builds, did it give you trouble when gouging it out?

We have two master armor makers, one pepping and one foaming, it's very interesting seeing how each progresses, and to see the tutorial videos you're both making.

Your work is fantastic man, it looks a ton better with the weathering, though you've always had one of the best foam skills I've seen anywhere. Great job, keep up the good work!

The gouging was really easy tbh. For the claw holes I cut some holes where the claws enter the armour really badly so they didn't have a clean edge. Then cut a grove leading away from the holes. Took a fine triangular file and then roughed up the edges and filed the grove to a nice thin point if that makes sense.

I am excited to see how the boots come out!
It seems to be a unique approach, that if successful (of which I have no doubt) will catch on quite quickly!

Cheers,
Cereal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back