MLC Torso in Action/SuperFrankensuit Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
iamyourcousin228 said:
Looks good! Cant wait to see more of it. When will we get to see your helmet?

Thanks! It's a Spase helmet - Actually the signed #1 super limited edition collectors model... :D

I should be able to make some strong progress this weekend - all my strapping and buckles showed up so I can try out my torso alignment buckle idea. I think that I have worked out a way to keep all of the butted joints lined up properly so that they don't shift around like with traditional strapping...

Last edited by a moderator:
DogWizard said:
Thanks! It's a Spase helmet - Actually the signed #1 super limited edition collectors model... :D

I should be able to make some strong progress this weekend - all my strapping and buckles showed up so I can try out my torso alignment buckle idea. I think that I have worked out a way to keep all of the butted joints lined up properly so that they don't shift around like with traditional strapping...

Sweet dude, this will truly be one of the most modern Suits around... using all of the new talent you can find eh?

And some more progress pics - busy weekend...

and sanding...and filling...and priming...and sanding... (did I mention the filling and sanding and priming?)

and more priming...these are about 2/3 done...

getting nice and smooth...

let's see some color on there, shall we?

next on the block...

and from this...

to this (still nowhere near done)...

So much sanding and priming - I've probably spent $50 just on primer and "test paint" so far. I'm not sure I'm digging the color though. I haven't tried any blackwash effects but it just seems too khaki to me...

If anyone thinks that molded armor is some magical shortcut - I'm here to tell ya the devil is in the details!

More to come...

Xavier said:
coming together great man! i think the color might be too light...
Color will be light until you start weathering it. I thought my suit was too light in person (on camera it looks light) but after spraying black and taking it off a second later, it looks much better.

Xavier said:
coming together great man! i think the color might be too light...

Yeah - for some reason the oregano is just coming out bleh for me. I think that even with some of Adam's super over-effects I would prefer something darker. I have scoured every place in town that sells Duplicolor paint to try and match the green that Spase uses on his helmets but so far no love. I picked up a few more cans of primer this afternoon as well as a few other colors to try out. I would really like to try a metallic dusting for the irridescent effect but we'll see how that works out...

Thanks for the support guys - just another week or two...

couldnt you just get a paint studio to get the custom color to get the right color with buy more and more paint that doesnt work

Dude, this will look great!!! Cant wait to see some more. and were is the sig from spase? i dont know if it would look nice with that in the middle. but will it be that cool color one or will you repaint it match you stuff?

G'job. Maybe try sanding some of the bulk off.

That's the only trouble with molded armor, it always seems to come out fatter-looking than the real deals. No question, it works and looks good. I just prefer custom molding, since you can style it a little more realistically.

Just a thought. Great work.

Just a quick "pre-weekend update" color comparison. I'm still going back and forth on the color but it looks I'm going to at least start with the Oregano base coat and see what I get. I tried a more traditional OD Green and it looks good now but I'm afraid it will be too dark once I blackwash everything - what do you think?

@ James Falcon - what looks "bulky"? Not being a jerk, I'm just curious...

I like the OD green myself. To me thats more of a miltary color, and this is a combat suit. But it also depends on how much you blackwash it.

Time for the weekly update. Got a lot of work done this weekend - I think I've already covered how much fun it is to cut, grind, trim, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, prime, fill, prime, sand and paint. While it will never be perfect, I'm pretty happy with the results so far...

Arms - Before:

And After:

I had the legs pretty much done and then decided to go back and take some off to shorten them just a bit (I will want to wear this when I'm done and I'm just not "Spartan-Sized)

Some Group Pics:

I haven't done any weathering or finish-painting yet - I want to do all of that at the same time so my technique stays consistent. All my strapping/buckles are here and the rest of the undersuit has already arrived. Once it comes together, it should progress pretty quickly. Should be nice when it's all set...

Next up:

Thanks for all the compliments and support - when I'm sitting in my garage covered from head to foot with toxic dust it helps... More to come...

I want to get you a new cod piece ( i redid it last weekend) before you start on it. But... what size is your waist? if it's in the 32 - 33" range it will fit ya.

Adam said:
I want to get you a new cod piece ( i redid it last weekend) before you start on it. But... what size is your waist? if it's in the 32 - 33" range it will fit ya.

I'm all about new and improved pieces :) My waist is 35"-36" but I have discovered that a heat gun is a priceless tool for adjusting resin armor so I have great faith that I can make it fit. If you wouldn't mind, send one on over (heck - just throw it in the box with the sidepouches) and if it's too small I'll be happy to send it back...

Thanks for the offer - can't wait!

I'll do that. It's going to need some cleaning up, but looks a lot better than the other one.

OK - it's been a while since the last update but these hands have not been idle...

Codpiece...

Feets...Before...

...and After...

Helmet after sanding and shaping...

...and priming...

...finally painted...so smooth...

Last ones - one more Spartan almost ready for duty...

The next update should feature the whole deal - thanks for watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back