MLC Torso in Action/SuperFrankensuit Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, very nice!!!! Feel free to remold any parts that I send ya. Good work!!

part of it I guess... if improvements are made to the armor I send out, I say remold it. ONLY GOES FOR MY MKVI STUFF.

Adam said:
part of it I guess... if improvements are made to the armor I send out, I say remold it. ONLY GOES FOR MY MKVI STUFF.

Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the support! I'm hoping to get everything finished up this weekend and start working on the battle-damage paint job. More updates to come...

Are you missing the biceps? Their not in the picture, there...

Nice job on the suit, anywho. Looking amazing!

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Are you missing the biceps? Their not in the picture, there...

Nice job on the suit, anywho. Looking amazing!

The biceps and sidepouches are the last pieces under construction - hopefully they should be done this weekend (along with starting on the visor). Thanks for the compliment, it's taken longer than I thought it would but the end result should be well worth it... :)

LastSpartan said:
Awesomenest!

I have a newbie question. Why do you need to sand primer?

:popcorn:

You can't really tell from the pictures, but each resin piece has several areas of Bondo (each sanded down and shaped) to fill in any depressions or asymmetrical areas. There are also a few spots daubed with paste filler (for any areas where my sanding revealed tiny bubbles in either the resin or Bondo). Then everything gets an initial coat of primer. It's sometimes difficult to see high or low spots or imperfections on a raw surface - especially white.

The primer ats like a layer of paint, revealing the details and showing what the surface will look like with paint. Then any imperfections are worked on. Repeat as many times as it takes to get a finish you are happy with. Finally, you can either wet-sand or steel-wool the final primer layer before paint. I'm only using off-the-shelf spraypaint and you can really improve the final finish by lightly sanding between layers of primer/paint as spraypaint doesn't have the precision you can get with a gun and booth.

Hope that helps...

I'm using that tactic now, but I'm still making all of the pep pieces, so I'm a far amount of time behind you.

Also, your sig is...erm...discouraging :(

This is it - the last update before everything is strapped and wearable. Finally got all of the weathering detail done as well as a start on the electronics. I'm really pretty happy with the final paint color. I wanted everything to look "used" but not trashed, something like "even though I've been kicking ass all across the galaxy, I still take care of my gear..."

Please excuse all the dust on the pieces - I should have cleaned everything off first...

Every Spartan needs a soundtrack - a little hole here...

Perfect little speakers - actually sound pretty good for what they are...

Some rigid black grillcloth (you can't really see the honeycomb pattern in regular light)...

Torso...

Helmet...

And the rest...

My helper - totally uninterested...

So whattaya think?

The next shots should be me wandering around the neighborhood - should be a trip...

Thanks to everyone who helped out on this, whether through parts, advice, criticism, or encouragement - I appreciate it!

Xavier said:
Thats looks like a Doc helm, thought u picked up one from Spase?

It is one of DoC's - my Spase helm went back into his personal collection (it was model #1 so we worked something out)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back