MLC Torso in Action/SuperFrankensuit Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
You haz to wear it, for us to get a better idea what it looks like (right now... Pure awesomeness..)
Anyways, either A: wear it, or B: align them all on the floor, so we can see what it would look like when it's on..

-Fin(n)ish

EDIT: @ADAM, where you waiting the whole day to post at "01.17" pm ;)
(in GMT+1)

DogWizard said:
It is one of DoC's - my Spase helm went back into his personal collection (it was model #1 so we worked something out)...

BTW... Thanks again.... can't wait to see you in that thing. Nice suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I actually went overboard on everything. Looking back (and at what the "weathering" paint effect did) I'm not sure I would be so intense about it if I had it to do over again... ;)

DogWizard said:
Helmet...

OMG you did an amazing job on the helmet! WOW! I might have to see if you wanna mockup one for me...... I'm sure we could work out a deal ;)

Great job though! Can't wait to see all the pieces painted and together!

DoC ByTeS said:
OMG you did an amazing job on the helmet! WOW! I might have to see if you wanna mockup one for me...... I'm sure we could work out a deal ;)

Great job though! Can't wait to see all the pieces painted and together!

Thanks for the props - I'm REALLY happy with the way it turned out. I'm sure we could work something out and I'd be happy to help if you're interested... :) How's the rest of your armor coming along? Any new bits and pieces?

I should have pics of me wandering around the house in the fully completed suit this weekend - I'm just working on fitting the boots now...

DogWizard said:
Thanks for the props - I'm REALLY happy with the way it turned out. I'm sure we could work something out and I'd be happy to help if you're interested... :) How's the rest of your armor coming along? Any new bits and pieces?

I should have pics of me wandering around the house in the fully completed suit this weekend - I'm just working on fitting the boots now...

I'll have some new stuff for ya to see very soon ;)

I said that I was finishing up so here we go...

The boots - I really wanted to get something form-fitting so they didn't just flop around. I also wanted to use something comfortable so the cheap/disposable workboot idea wasn't going to happen. I also wasn't going to dump another $100 on a pair of Magnums or HiTecs for this - The solution was some expanding foam. It keeps everything snug and the boots just slip right in. I just finished a test with the Plasti-dip spray so I will be using that on the interior foam for some extra durability and grip:

100_1889.jpg

100_1914.jpg

Some final assembly and strapping ideas - first I needed something to keep torso sections closed up tight. I molded some 1.5" parachute buckles into blocks of resin and then shaped them. Glue them in place and BINGO - snap-closure. They are a little harder to access than I anticipated but I think that the result is worth it:

100_1882.jpg

100_1886.jpg

And the shoulders - I filled in the "caps" of the shoulder pauldrons. I think that it looks better as a solid piece and it allowed me to do this:

100_1883.jpg

100_1884.jpg

I drilled/recessed a slot in each shoulder and then used epoxy to secure the strapping in place. Add a buckle and some adjustment tensioners and DONE...

The strapping and undersuit integration will be coming right up...

Here's where it gets interesting. I really wanted this to be as integrated and comfortable to wear (long term) as possible. Coming from an SCA background, correct strapping and tweaking for comfort are second nature and can make the difference between a miserable event and a great weekend. I started with one of the Sette Pressure Suits and combined that with a 2" web belt and military style 3-point suspenders for support.

The suspenders are laced through the pressure suit for proper alignment and lay under the spine protection for concealment. The shoulder strapping does the same - including slots cut into the pressure suit shoulder cups to keep the shoulders in position. Basically the entire thing is one piece - undersuit, shoulders, suspenders, belt, codpiece, buttplate, and pouches are all strapped together and are put on as a single unit:

100_1906.jpg

100_1885.jpg

100_1909.jpg

100_1911.jpg

100_1913.jpg

All of the "waist" armor has been attached by drilling recesses and then using epoxy to inset Chicago screws which are attached to the web belt. I still need to work out the final version as I have to manually attach the last screw on the codpiece. It works, it's just not as simple as I would like.

100_1891.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the results...

And the finished result - one more Spartan for the front lines:

100_1892-1.jpg

100_1900.jpg

100_1902.jpg

100_1904.jpg

There are some issues - I need to reshape the thigh pieces to allow for more flexibility and the suspenders needed to be shorter to raise the "waistline" but overall I'm gonna label this a success. This was the first full suit fitting and I will be tweaking and adjusting for a while but I thought that it was far enough along for the big reveal. Needless to say the AR is a work in progress - I still have to install the electronics/barrel and get it painted.

I've said it before but I'm going to say it again - thanks to everyone who contributed and helped me along. I couldn't have made this kind of progress without the 405th...

Reporting for duty!

That looks great! The only part I’m not so keen on is the upper chest, near the neck, it looks kind of weird when it's green, I think it should be black.

Just spectacular! Suspenders are the greatest thing ever to hold up armor, I use 'em on my own SCAdian rig.

Looks pretty good. The painting in of details could use a bit of attention, but it's going to be great!

Thanks guys - I appreciate the support - come on DoC, Iknow that you can find some words... :D

Please keep the suggestions coming - this is my first suit and I want it to be all that it can be...

@ p0rtalman - which area at the neck are you talking about? Are you talking about the thin edge around the neck or the whole area above the recessed detail or somewhere else?

@ Adam - which details need the most attention? I just realized that the "should be undersuit" area of the biceps should be blacked out - what else am I missing?

I really didn't want to "over-weather" everything and go too dark but If I am missing some critical details, please help me out (constructive criticism only please)...

Looks super awesome!! Nice Novascotian Retriever you got there :)
I think the paintjob could use a little work tough.

Here you can see it, when the best armor makers best costume parts are combined the end result has to be super awesome!!!

Congratulations for owning this stuff!!! (y)

-Fin(n)ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back