Moulded Kevlar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to add that im pretty sure there is no danger if the testing is done when the suit is unoccupied. You should do it 009-SPA, but i would reccommend some good background knowledge, like for example, do a bit of study in basic physics and perhaps in composites, just some stuff to get you started. From then on you'll be able to calculate what is needed. I've been doing a dimploma in electronics engineering, so i'll be able to help out there if you decide to add some crazy-as onboard computer (hahaha lol). But of course, the forum here is full of helpful souls ready to explode with knowledgable advice.

And is it really against policy to do this???? I didn't bother to read much of any of that.

Hope that helps!

Cheer! :p

KevlarSpartan said:
And is it really against policy to do this???? I didn't bother to read much of any of that.

405th is a costume and prop making community. Its purpose never was and never will be (I believe) functioning armour. I believe the reason it is against forum policies is that the creators and administrators of the 405th don't want to risk getting involved in lawsuits from people who built "functioning" suits from information on the 405th and ended up getting seriously injured.

Last edited by a moderator:
AceHigh said:
405th is a costume and prop making community. Its purpose never was and never will be (I believe) functioning armour. I believe the reason it is against forum policies is that the creators and administrators of the 405th don't want to risk getting involved in lawsuits from people who built "functioning" suits from information on the 405th and ended up getting seriously injured.

You state a good point there. Im not too familiar with the American justice system or it's laws, but couldn't they simply put up a disclaimer, stating that they and their subsidiaries ARE NOT responsible for any damage or injuries etc, etc?

Cheers! :p

KevlarSpartan said:
You state a good point there. Im not too familiar with the American justice system or it's laws, but couldn't they simply put up a disclaimer, stating that they and their subsidiaries ARE NOT responsible for any damage or injuries etc, etc?

Cheers! :p

Possibly, I'm no legal expert of any kind. However, I cinserely doubt that there is a disclaimer that would be 100% foolproof. Also, if someone got seriously injured and pointed towards the 405th, who knows what kind of action Microsoft/Bungie would take. I'm guessing they wouldn't be too happy about that sort of press.

The reason we have that note in the 405th rules is because the 405th doesn't want to be held liable for some idiot building a "bullet-proof" suit of armor, then going out and getting seriously wounded (or killed) in a firefight or some stupid thing like that. The 405th cannot handle that kind of publicity.

In-b4-flamewar.

AceHigh said:
Actually, criticism is allowed if one offers good reasons why or improvement on ideas. So far Awesomeness and MrToad have offered quite a lot of knowledge and ideas, even though they don't really think it's a good idea to build the armour.

If you do know your rules, you should also be aware that it is against forum policies to construct "impact resistant armour" as well, so this thread should probably be locked and deleted. Problem solved.

this is bad criticism. they were trying to "discourage" his ideas by such methods. I do agree with your solution though. i will inform an ADMIN imediatly

009-SPA said:
Nobody has answered my second question yet. Where can I find cheap but good quality Kevlar?

Go to Fibre Glast online. They sell Kevlar and Kevlar/Carbon Fiber hybrid weaves at reasonable prices ($30 to $60 USD/ 36"x50" pre-cut fabric). I get my stock from here. You will need at least 6 layers to make a usable, abrasion resistant part.

Be advised that Armed Forces helmets are comprised of at least 29 layers of Kevlar molded under high compression to minimize the thickness of the helmet each layer must be completely saturated with a ballistics compatible resin and free of air bubbles between the layers which means that you will need vacuum bagging and more than likely a large oven or an autoclave to bake the resin in because a resin with a set work time will not do the trick.

Even after this expensive process you will only have a rating of Threat Level II which will only protect against 9mm and .357 magnum small arms fire for a single hit (after your armor is hit once its integrity is compromised because it is a solid shell). Also the helmet shell itself will be a moot point if you cannot get a thick enough layer of polycarbonate (possibly 3/4" or greater) for the visor, AND figure out a way that it can be fixed in place and will not detach when struck.

Your layers should look like this with all parts from the outside to the inside:

GEL COAT

----------------------

29-35 LAYERS OF KEVLAR

----------------------

GEL COAT

Afterwords, you will need an undersuit of some type to make sure that this is not the weak point of your armor. The layers will probably look like this:

BALLISTICS NYLON

---------------------------------------------

14 GAUGE (SWG) 3/16" ID WELDED TITANIUM CHAINMAILLE

1" SILK LAYER

BALLISTIC CERAMIC PLATING (Only in some areas i.e.: the groin & neck)

20 LAYERS UNSATURATED KEVLAR

BALLISTICS NYLON

The Titanium in this is for stab resistance, not ballistics proofing. This undersuit would be like a snowsuit underneath your armor, you'd need some significantly larger hard parts to go over this.

All in all I would estimate something in the way of $500,000+ USD for this project to actually work.

But everyone on this thread seems to have a misconception on what Kevlar is actually used for in an industrial setting. It doesn't just provide bullet proofing in several layers, it also provides resistance to heat at extreme temperatures (I used Kevlar sleeves during my glassblowing class last year), and is a highly abrasion resistant material. I made a pendant out of it once, I had to use a bench grinder with a rough grit stone to shape it and it still took me about 20-30 minutes to do.

So, if you're not looking for ballistics protection and are just looking for standard impact protection/high heat (1000°F-1800°F) protection, you'd only need something say 6-10 layers thick and a heat resistant resin that can take that kind of punishment to provide more than adequate protection. Also the undersuit would likely be much less bulky and could be wrought from 2 layers of kevlar.

If you're going strictly for abrasion resistance, you'll probably only need 2 layers of Kevlar with a layer of Kevlar pulp in between on your rigid parts, and the undersuit would also probably only need to be 2 layers of Kevlar.

Good luck to you and give us some pics when you get a WIP going :)

To answer your question, Kevlar is not cheap. I did a quick search and you're looking at prices from $20-30 per yard. You'll get savings by buying in bulk, though. In this application Kevlar's real benefit is impact and abrasion resistance coupled with light weight. It is my opinion that while making molded composite armor is technically feasible, the materials are prohibitively expensive for what amounts to a costume. Especially when there are urethane plastics out there with some pretty impressive properties.

One thing to remember about Kevlar is that it is extremely abrasion resistant and tough. You'll need to get special scissors to cut it. I also recommend looking into epoxy resins as opposed to the polyester "fiberglass" resins. Epoxy is not only safer but also has vastly superior properties. You're also looking at making fiberglass molds with a tooling gelcoat to provide a rigid surface to put the vacuum bag on. Your silicone molds used on this forum won't do in this case. The biggest issue with making Master Chief armor is that Kevlar and the like do not usually have the ability to conform with all the undercuts and complex shapes without cutting and fitting. Curves and smooth shapes are better suited to Kevlar.

I know the 60lbs vest I wear everyday will only stop a 7.65 round if it hits the inch thick ceramic plates...they don't cover near enough of my body to count on that. The soft armor does jack squat.

Sorry if it seems off topic but, even if the armor was made out of kevlar, how would you stop a round (if that is your goal) from hitting in between the armor peices?

"Hey dude shoot me." "Okay." *Bam* "*@$#%^$! Not in between the armor!"

I just came on for a few minutes to see if there were any more PDO's for my friend, and after seeing this topic... After reading post, after post... All I have to say, is wow. Just let the guy try it. Many of you are correct... Waste... Maybe... Expensive... Yes. Depending on how he goes about it. I made my suit bullet 'resistant'. Was it a pain? Yes. Did it take almost 2 years. Yuppers. And when I say resistant, I mean resistant, not bullet proof - there's a difference. Casting material on the outside was merely for detail. It could take a 9mm from a distance easily, but that's about it, and it would sacrifice the suit for the wearer. I wouldn't dare try it out with me in it, or anything more then that. Merely based on test plates, that were around 80% of the finished suit thickness... But then again, my suit weighs an absurd amount. I ended up using Kevlar for it's heat deflection properties, and abrasion resistance, rather then its net like weave for bullet proofing. Solid 5-8 pound plates of different steels were used instead. Thats all the advice I can give for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back