My 3 sons continued-Halo-ween parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was Epic work. How long did they keep them on. Not too hot for them I hope

No, heat wasn't the problem, since it was about 40F. The issue was mobility. My 2 youngest were not used to being unable to lift their arms above their chests. Moreover, running in armor can be quite a challenge.

No, heat wasn't the problem, since it was about 40F. The issue was mobility. My 2 youngest were not used to being unable to lift their arms above their chests. Moreover, running in armor can be quite a challenge.

I bet it was awesome watching them try though.

Yay for Dads!

I am 30 years old and have fond memories of my dad helping us (me and my 2 siblings) craft Halloween costumes when we were little -- and now that I am all grown up with crazy crafting skills of my own, we're teaming up on an armor / weapons build with me doing armor and him doing weapons. This is particularly meaningful to me because I've never been close to my dad and these last few years our relationship has been much richer for our shared hobby of video games [and now, apparently, Halo costumes).

These really are the memories your kids will carry with them for life.

And a quick technique question - what do you use to prime the foam before you paint it? You got a really great, smooth finish.

And a quick technique question - what do you use to prime the foam before you paint it? You got a really great, smooth finish.

Thanks. I used Modge Podge after heat-sealing the foam with a heat gun. To get the high sheen on my oldest son's chest plates I primed it with Gesso after heat-sealing. I've also gotten pretty good results with Elmer's glue diluted with water, although I didn't use that technique here since getting the wrong proportion of water to glue tends to lead to cracking.

Nice job! I did a MkVI for my boy, so I know how much work goes into one suit. Doing it for two more? Wow!

I typically sculpt and vacuum form my costumes. Alternatively, I've used craft foam. This is the first time I used the Pepakura fiberglass method. I have to say, it was much harder than foam, but easier than hand sculpting. You hit the nail on the head though, ALOT of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back