My first attempt at Mk VI armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only so much I can do with a rasp & 60 grit sand paper - a mouse sander will be procured before the weekend is done!

Hey that's all I use... Well... files, sandpaper, and a dremel on occassion. One tip, dunno if it's been mentioned yet but if you put the rondo layer down before you glass, it provides a smoother surface that makes it easier to lay the fiberglass onto. Looks to be coming along well though!

Thanks - I'll be busting out with the dremel soon - need to get that flexible extender attachment first. Now that I have a bit of practice with rondo, I'll be using it quite a bit more :)

I am starting to dislike fiberglass cloth very much - but a lot of that can be chalked up to my experience using it. I got tired of having it come up when I went to put a layer of resin on top of it, so I switched to rondo - lay a coat down, press fiberglass on top...and then put another of layer on top of the fiberglass after it cures. That is the new plan :)

I also tried using spray adhesive and then placing the fiberglass on top...but once I started brushing on it it came up again. Grrr... On one part of my boot I wasn't paying attention (until after the rondo was starting to cure) and one piece of fiberglass wasn't pressed down to the pepakura, so now there is a nice gap... I'll just cut that piece out (once it is done curing) and put another one securely down :)

Here's how my morning turned out:

IMG_20130120_125005.jpg

I ran out of fiberglass cloth before I was done with the helmet, and the rondo was setting up in the cup I was applying it from...so it will be finished at another time.

And both toes need rondo :

IMG_20130120_130030.jpg

Off to get a mouse sander so I can get some work done on the other helmet!

I got a little more rondo in the helmet & toe caps this evening & some sanding done on my Magnum - needed to be cleaned up from the cast & it has been primered to see what else needs to be touched up. Probably headed to a week of pepakura to get v3.0 helmet put together and more sanding on v1.0. The mouse sander only came with 120 grit sandpaper, so it isn't taking much off, although it is a little smoother now (pix later).

Another no picture update, but I am making progress! V3.0 helmet is moving along and I think I might have it glued together by the weekend. One lucky thing (if you can call it lucky...since I am building a 3rd helmet...) is by using the same file (flying squirrel) I can work ahead of myself and not make the same mistakes twice. V2.0 is more or less rondo'd, and I was looking over it at some of the things I did wrong (but correctable with bondo). Not that I won't make a mistake, but I do know what parts I need to work on ahead of time, instead of trying to glue one of the tiny little tabs last minute :). I have a LOT of clean-up to do, both inside and out of v2.0, but it will be ongoing as I get more parts assembled and in the pipe for bondo/sanding/painting!

I still need to get 60 & 80 grit sandpaper for the mouse sander and buy bondo...again. I have been buying the small container and since I am making rondo I burn through the can very quickly. On that note, the boots are just about ready for bondo...they need some clean-up as well, but they FIT over my boots - very stoked about that :)

I am thinking that once v3.0 helmet is done I'll start on forearms - putting off the chest & codpiece for last. I figure the more practice I can get while doing arms & legs, the smoother the chest will come together, if that is even possible :)

V3.0 is finished with the pepakura stage! Sadly, I am out of daylight & it has been a bit wet today, so no resin will be applied - which is fine, as I still need to put the supports in. It fits better than v2.0...and by better I mean proportionally...but still tight on the sides, so trimming will be involved once it is out of the rondo/fiberglass stage. I'm going to rondo BEFORE glassing this time, and was thinking that instead of putting fiberglass all the way inside, maybe just run strips front to back, side to side and in higher stress areas or impact areas, for when I (hopefully don't) drop it.

Here is the line up:

IMG_20130126_174800.jpg

IMG_20130126_174822.jpg

IMG_20130126_174651.jpg

I haven't had a chance to sit down & do some serious sanding on v1.0...but it is down a few steps on the priority list at this time. I got more bondo and mixed up a big batch of rondo yesterday afternoon to put v2.0 to bed in that stage...and made TOO much and had to throw half the batch away :(.

So, forearms are printed out - they will be taking up my evening hours after I (hopefully) get some afternoon resin time in. That is about all for this report!

I started to resin v3.0 but the humidity is not letting it cure...and it is supposed to be kind of wet this week :(...

After removing the paper visor from v1.0 and doing some clean-up with the dremel, I have found that it will not be a very presentable helmet. Oh, well - will continue to work on it for practice. I need to learn symmetry when I am cleaning up/sanding bondo - but this helmet is pretty catty-wompus to begin with. On v2.0 I'm going to sparingly apply the bondo and work from there this time.

I have traced the template for the double visor onto the outer visor - since I probably won't be resining I'll try cutting it out today:

IMG_20130127_192021.jpg

The opening on v1.0 is too big for the visor, so this one will go into v2.0

And in other non-build news, I found a mega-blocks companion for my Master Chief figure :)

IMG_20130127_192155.jpg

"I shall call him..."Mini-Me" :p

For the mouse sander, DON'T buy the stuff b&d sells for it. Home Depot sells some replacements for it by a brand called Diablo, and they barely clog up and don't need frequent replacement. Look online, but they should have some in the store.

For the mouse sander, DON'T buy the stuff b&d sells for it. Home Depot sells some replacements for it by a brand called Diablo, and they barely clog up and don't need frequent replacement. Look online, but they should have some in the store.

thanks for the tip - i found some on clearance at Sears, but it was designed for the craftsman design sanders, so the pads are a bit big. Since I was using the sander for larger areas, it wasn't a big deal, and they are easy enough to cut down.

Humidity is keeping the resin in its can, so I got the outer visor cut:

IMG_20130128_175124.jpg

As you can see, the $7.50 visors aren't very gold...

IMG_20130128_175233.jpg

Back to cutting forearms...

One question - has anyone used drywall tape instead of fiberglass cloth? I thought about laying it down before pouring rondo in the helmet - would the tape absorb the rondo or just mold around it...and would it add any strength?

If anyone could give me some feedback about the question above about using drywall tape, it would be appreciated :)

Another no-picture update - it dried out enough to put another layer of resin on v3.0 helmet and get a little bondo on v2.0 (thin layers this time, front part of dome and "cheeks"). Weather permitting tomorrow I might be able to get some rondo going on v3.0 and some sanding on v2.0.

Sizing fail on my part (again) with the forearms - too small :(. Back to cutting I go!

Another no-picture update - nothing exciting about watching bondo dry or pouring rondo :)

I am at a bit of a standstill on the build - bondoing the helmet to smooth out low points and make the edges more defined is going to be more of a challenge than I already anticipated! I'm not going to give up, but found myself staring at all the work I have to do on it...not including all of the pep work ahead of me as well. Oh, well - many before me have worked through this, and I'm sure I'll find myself in the same place on other parts :)

It is kind of wet outside today, so no bondo work - I think I am done with rondo for the helmet, aside from a couple of spots that I somehow managed to miss on Friday. The weather will clear later this week so I can finish up that little bit and also fill some of the air pockets on the boots. I will probably give the boots a spray of primer to see how the outside of them looks & how much bondo they will need.

Your work is looking good.

I have used the drywall/fiberglass tape quite a bit in my Mandalorian builds. I use it exclusivly instead of the cloth now. I prefer it because it is cleaner in finish than the matte is. I've never used it with Rondo, to be honest I'm not a big fan of the Rondo. But, it works great with the polyester fiberglass resin. It doesn't absorbs as much as it bonds.

Your work is looking good.

I have used the drywall/fiberglass tape quite a bit in my Mandalorian builds. I use it exclusivly instead of the cloth now. I prefer it because it is cleaner in finish than the matte is. I've never used it with Rondo, to be honest I'm not a big fan of the Rondo. But, it works great with the polyester fiberglass resin. It doesn't absorbs as much as it bonds.

Thanks for the info - I will give it a try on one of my miss-sized (non-wearable) pieces to see what my results are :)

So, I was feeling a bit down on the whole project a couple of days ago, but I picked up the exacto & started cutting the forearms and started feeling better :). That, and I managed to "build up" part of the jawline with bondo - the left side was lower than the right. I also cleaned up the back edge of the helmet opening - before it kind of looked like a seismic graph ;). I'm feeling a bit more confident about being able to make corrections with bondo, but symmetry is going to be a challenge for me, I can already tell!

Here are some pics of sanding from tonight - I also slopped some bondo on the low points on the dome (there are quite a few...) but they will need to be hit with a rasp before I sandpaper. Of course, you won't be able to see much of what I described due to my continued use of the camera on my cell phone!

IMG_20130206_183557_zps73f2ae02.jpg

the inside of the back of opening will get some touch-up with the dremel after I do a bit of fill work

IMG_20130206_183626_zpsd1384b7c.jpg

the top of the dome needs to be evened out
IMG_20130206_183655_zps56155356.jpg

IMG_20130206_183713_zpsaf95b6bf.jpg

You can see that the left side is now higher than the right - that will be corrected soon. The center of the jaw ("nose", for lack of a better description) is going to be a challenge to get straightened out...

IMG_20130206_183542_zps41306ebb.jpg

So, a little progress - still a long ways to go. This is my v2.0 helmet, aka the 'practice' helmet. v3.0 is going to get bondo started soon :)

It fits! V3.0 helmet actually fits! WOOT!

v30fits_zps14dcfef7.jpg

I am so happy that I won't be going to a v4.0 helmet :). But...plenty of work to be done on it still. We are supposed to get rain over the weekend, so bondo work will depend on the humidity.

I did some clean up on the heels of the boots...and they need a lot of work as well. I have some major airpockets to be dealt with, and in a couple of places the fiberglass doesn't touch the paper, so I might have to cut those spots out & re-resin/rondo/patch. Oh, well. My excitement about my helmet will carry me through that work.

On a downer note...v2.0 forearms are looking kind of small - I'll have one glued up tonight for a test fit. I was hoping my gloves would be here by now to see how it all comes together, but I'll know before then whether or not I'll be going v3.0 on them as well :(. Pictures tonight when the forearms are done - stay tuned!

*sigh*...sizing FAIL...again:

IMG_20130210_214511_zpsebd4f2eb.jpg

IMG_20130210_214525_zps791ac5ef.jpg

I'm seriously considering moving forward with resin & fiberglass on this & make it into a lamp (like in "A Christmas Story" :) ). That or an umbrella stand! But, jokes aside, moving forward I will probably ask for a 2nd opinion the next time I have my daughter do my measurement :). But, I managed to crank this one out both cutting & gluing over the course of 3 evenings, so it isn't that big of a setback. I also realized that I didn't "mirror" the file, so I would have ended up with two left (or right...not sure which this one was - crackhead09's file) regardless. I printed out two, but only cut one, so I'll recycle the paper for another part (so I don't get mixed up which side I am supposed to be cutting :). I'll be taking a break from the pepakura for a couple of days - my only window of opportunity this week to resin & bondo will be tomorrow before a cold front blows in, and I have one forearm to resin, one to fiberglass, and bondo to get started on my v3.0 helmet.

till next time!

I guess I'm not the only one to oversize the shins:D. Everything is looking good, keep it up.

I guess I'm not the only one to oversize the shins:D. Everything is looking good, keep it up.

Thanks for the encouragement :). I had an epiphany last night that i could just measure the height of the left shin of my TK armor (the one with the sniper plate)...it should be just about the same dimension... If nothing else it will help me get some reference :)

If you right click on the parts area you can bring up a tool to measure between two points. I have found it to be very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back