My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the rough build on the chest is now complete. I need to create a nice neckline once I get my 1/4 inch foam in the mail and I still need to do ALL the detail work and seam coverup with the foamies. I expect that once I get rolling with the foamies I should be able to complete the chest in a couple of days. I'm looking forward to the detail work even though I'm sure I'll get very meticulous.

Update time!

I roughed in the backplate for the mid-spine protection and I'm going to create the lower back armor/butt pack which will be an armored pack that I can carry misc things in (cell phone, keys, etc). The pack will cover my lower spine and rest above the butt plate.

IMG_0936.jpg

Since I have a long torso, I decided to freehand the upper ab plate that drops down below the rib protection and make it longer. Once it's painted I think it will give a nice contrast to the ab armor which will be black. The plate set in the opening where the upper ab plate drops down will have plenty of detail work done once I find some appropriate things to attach. I'm sure it will get a nice LED treatment as well as the standard LED placement.

IMG_0938.jpg

And here's a pic of the lower rib armor finally joining with the chest armor. Again, I have alot of detail work to do but I'm trying to stay focused.

IMG_0939.jpg

Thats all for now. Thanks for looking!!

Progress! I began the detail work and the seam cleanup on the chest last night and got quite a bit done. Here's a few pics.

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

I free-formed all of the foamie work and I'm trying to smooth out the seams using hot glue and then running over the bead with the glue gun tip. It seems to work pretty well for covering up the seam lines. Once I plastidiip the entire thing there should be few visible seam lines. I can always go back and touch those lines up with silicon and hit those spots with a spray of plastidip.

Thanks for looking!

Finished!! The chest buildout is now done. I need to plastidip and paint and this one will be checked off the list. I decided to attach the armored collar to the undersuit instead of the chestpiece in order to make the suit easier to put on. I think I will tackle the upper arms and the shoulders next. Here's the finished buildout.

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased and I certainly invite any opinions and critiques.

Thanks for looking!

**edited to remove a double posted pic**

wow buddy, for a first build it looks great! keep up the awesome job and push through. can't wait to see it finished and painted!!!:coolmakes me wanna do the rest of my spartan 4 in foam now.

love all the picture angles. This will a great help to all those doing this armor. Great work cant wait to see this painted.

wow buddy, for a first build it looks great! keep up the awesome job and push through. can't wait to see it finished and painted!!!makes me wanna do the rest of my spartan 4 in foam now.

Thanks! Trying to balance happy-fun-build-armor-time and husband-father-caretaker-of-extremely-pregnant-wife time is a challenge, but I'm managing to keep motivated to complete the suit.

love all the picture angles. This will a great help to all those doing this armor. Great work cant wait to see this painted.

I should have anticipated how many pictures I would take during this process and posted a "pic heavy" warning on my initial post. Glad that the images will help others though. And I can't wait to paint this thing and see how it turns out!

why is it my foam attempts all went to crap lol

liking this one a lot

It's never too late to try again! Give it another go and see what happens. I'm a total noob but I will help in any way I can. I've learned a few things from this process so far and any advice I can offer is freely given!

Updates coming soon! I should receive my 1/4 inch foam today and I will hopefully be building this evening.

Thanks for looking!

I just went with what I know, stuck with the pepakura for armour, and wood then casting for the weapons, but cheers :p still going to follow this one for maybe in the future though

Update!! I got my 1/4 inch foam yesterday but I was too tired from work to get much done. I went ahead and selected the bicep file I wanted to use (Model: ForgedReclaimer, Unfold: L3X BLU3RIV3R) and printed out the three pages (it was a foam unfold which is probably why there were only 3 pages). I cut out my patterns being careful to keep each one separated by page.

IMG_0957.jpg

Then I traced each shape onto the 1/4 inch foam, once again keeping each section of foam separated by page number. This should make matching up the cut out pieces with the pep program easier when it comes time for assembly. I also went ahead and flipped each piece over and traced it again so that I would have all the parts necessary to complete the right and left bicep.

IMG_0951.jpg

I hope to start assembly tonight or tomorrow night. I'll update with pics as soon as I get something completed.

Thanks for looking!

**edited to remove typos**

Small update.

I've completed the biceps and they are ready for plastidip. I am planning on picking up the paints I need early next week and I intend on painting both the chest and the biceps by the end of next weekend. Unless my wife goes into early labor lol.

IMG_0964.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Updates! Forearms completed. I've printed out the forearm attachment to store my iPod and should have that done and attached tonight. I'll post pics as soon as it's done. Here are some pics of the forearms.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back