My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update time again! I completed the forearm attachment and glued it onto the left forearm. Originally I was planning on using velcro to make the attachment removable but I didnt want velcro visible on the forearm so I decided to go ahead and make it permanent. Here's some pics of the completed piece.

IMG_0968.jpg

Here you can see how easily the iPod slips into the attachment.

IMG_0969.jpg

I created a "plug" to go in behind the iPod to hold it in place more securely. I don't want any of my devices sliding out and busting on the floor.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

And here is the attachment mounted on the forearm.

IMG_0974.jpg

The iPod plug fits nicely inside the pocket for easy storage.

IMG_0975.jpg

Thanks for looking! Hopefully I'll have more updates by the end of the week. Halloween is coming up so I wont have much build time until the weekend, but we'll see what I can squeeze in by then.

That looks awesome. What are you planning to run on your iPod when you have it all on?

That looks awesome. What are you planning to run on your iPod when you have it all on?

I have no idea. I'll try a more in-depth search when I get a chance today. Yesterday only yielded a couple of account monitoring apps. I want to find something that will look like changing planetary information, something bright and colorful. Anyone have any suggestions?

[how many foam sheets did you use for this build (EVA Squares) and what size ? looks great by the way
/QUOTE]

I bought 4 sheets and I've used them all. They measured at 1/2 inch. I have several decent sized scraps left over but no full sheets. The biceps and forearms were made using 1/4 inch foam but I'm planning on making the shoulders out of the floor mat sheets. I don't want the shoulders flopping around which is why I'm going with the 1/2 inch. The thighs, shins and boots will be 1/4 inch as well. The cod will be 1/2 inch. And, of course, I'll use a generous amount of craft foam.

Some people tape the part together on the outside, unfold it open, hot glue it, close it back, then pull the tape off when it is dry. That way, if the glue does leak out a little, it is stopped by the tape and looks like a sharper edge.

I have no idea. I'll try a more in-depth search when I get a chance today. Yesterday only yielded a couple of account monitoring apps. I want to find something that will look like changing planetary information, something bright and colorful. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been looking for something similar to what you're describing. I haven't found much in the way of apps that are like that. I do have an app that I use for work though. It's called "Tactical NAV". If you use it on an iPhone it will give real time info on Google maps. You choose to use regular maps, satellite or hybrid viewing mode. You can also overlay grids on it for land navigation on foot, drop pins, take screen pics, and change the screen color (while still being able to see the map) to red for night time light discipline. Plus, the screen doesn't always try to align with the accelerometers so it stays oriented the way it comes up. It is a paid app though and I don't remember what is cost, but like I said. . . I use it for work. It would give changing info as long as you're moving. :p If you find something more Halo like, please let me know.

There are also HALO Maps available with the Halo apps like "HALO Reach" and that one was a free app. I hope this helps in some way.

I was not successful with an app search. I tried finding live wallpapers as well as Halo apps but there was nothing that was free. I'll try a more in-depth search some other time. On a positive note I picked up another pack of foam today so I should be able to get back on track with my build. I cut out the commando shoulder but didn't get a chance to assemble it. I will get it put together and post some pics tomorrow night.

On the subject of an app that displays changing planetary information, you might try Solar Explorer Llite. It's the closest thing I found to what you might be looking for, and it's free.

On the subject of an app that displays changing planetary information, you might try Solar Explorer Llite. It's the closest thing I found to what you might be looking for, and it's free.

Is that an Apple or an Android app? I'm not finding that one for my 4S.

It's android, but I'd think Apple would have one like it somewhere... Ha ha I tried

I appreciate the effort! I'm sure I'll be able to find something in time.

Update time!

I completed the Commando shoulder which will end up on my right arm.

IMG_1002.jpg

I ran two lengths of coathanger wire through the foam before I bent it into shape so that it will hold a good strong curve.

IMG_0997.jpg

I'm about to get started on the Security shoulder for my left arm.

Thanks for looking!

I've been wanting to do a foam armor, nut I worried that you will miss all of the detail unlike with card stock (what I do), I really like your work and i hope to see more but if you can give me some pointers on how to do foam, that will be great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back