My First Helmet/armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son of a... :eek

Damn, dude! For your first Mk VI armour build, I'm astounded at the quality work you've put into every part of it thus far. Lovin' the weathering you've added to it, btw. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw you wind up in the Elite forum... and sooner rather than later. Top notch work :cool

my name is unknown said:
Amazing clean smooth work Good job! :D

I'd second that! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Liq said:
Its been a bit since I've updated, but I have been steadily working on it. At the rate I'm going I should have plenty of time to get an HD helmet in before Haloween, as long as I don't run into any roadblocks.

I'm nearly done with my left boot, but I might adjust paint on the original so I've kind of kept it this way until I decide what to do. I have modified the paintwork on nearly every piece I have shown so far, heh.

Halowear053.jpg

I just got the codpiece pepped out today, and I'll be starting the resin/fiberglass stage later this afternoon.

Halowear054.jpg

I want to have the entire bottom area strapped, painted, padded and basically finished by next weekend then I'll be down to arm area and new helmet.

see if this help ,maybe use it on you boots and shins,posted 1 week ago...good looking work

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20389&st=0&p=324033&#entry324033

A little update...

I finished my first forearm today, and man what a nightmare to pep! so far it has easily been the most difficult piece to do, and I consider myself a decent pep guy. I spent a little more time on the smoothing than I did my lower half, and still hope to replace my shins with the new model ones AND get an FS HD hat done by Halloween.

I have the bicep area of the right shoulder pepped out, and might get some more done today. I'm shooting for resin hopefully tomorrow, and finishing it by no later than Thursday.

I went to Academy sports today and got some el cheapo elbow pads, sprayed them black and I'll wear them between the bicep/forearm armor. not only does it look cool, but it helps hold the forearm in place. I couldn't pad it too much because its a tight enough fit on the wrist end as it is even though I have the hands of a 6 year old girl. Did I also mention the pads look cool?

shoot me thoughts, and like always I'm open to any suggestions or criticisms on anything 100% of the time.

Halowear063.jpg

Halowear065.jpg

I got the right shoulder armor finished today except for padding. I threw everything on and went outside for a couple pics, and the kids next door thought I was a robot, heh. I should have the left side finished in the next week or so then it'll be an HD helmet and some minor adjustments to padding, strapping and paint.

heres a sucky pic my wife made, it doesn't show much of the new piece but meh its something.

Halowear067.jpg

Sc0ped91 said:
That helmet looks great

Don't get me wrong I like the helmet and the pep file is GREAT, but it was my first piece really and I want to move on to the better version if I have time. If I don't have time before holiday I would wear this hat with no shame :D

There is much more deserving works that should be in elite section. I see stuff from people like Phenry, and Pooper as just inspiring artwork plain and simple. There are some true artists here.

Hey liq awesome work man! I got a question, have you been smoothing any pieces with bondo, or is that just resin and paint? Looking good!

+1 for thinking the current helmet looks great. Keep it up, I can only imagine how awesome the next helmet will be.

top_shape said:
Hey liq awesome work man! I got a question, have you been smoothing any pieces with bondo, or is that just resin and paint? Looking good!

Typically what i do after I finish the resin/fiberglass stage is go over the entire piece with a palm sander then prime it, then do another palm sanding followed by my first bondoing. I can usually get the piece the way i want it after 2 applications of bondo and maybe a little touching up with bondo putty. A palm sander definitely makes the whole process less of an ordeal.

I seem to always mix too much bondo as most seems to dry a bit too fast to be useful. On the pieces I've done so far I've used nearly an entire gallon of the stuff, which seems excessive to me. I am lucky though my wife works at a hardware store so I get good discounts on quite a bit of the material I use.

Dang man, that is pretty sick so far. I hope you have tons of Halloween plans to show that sucker off. do you have any plans for LEDs or electronics anywhere?

SwedishNinja said:
Dang man, that is pretty sick so far. I hope you have tons of Halloween plans to show that sucker off. do you have any plans for LEDs or electronics anywhere?

oh, absolutely. I'm waiting on getting the LEDs in to kind of see if I have time for my hd helmet. Right now I'm sitting here waiting for bondo to dry on the left forearm, and kinda working out some stuff with the boots. I'll post up what I got soon.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, but the great work came from the modelers/unfolders and tut makers. I'm not a chef I'm just the dude that read the recipe on the back of the box.

I've saved some of your pictures to my "inspiration folder" Hehe.

Very nice work man, can't wait to see this finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back