My Kat Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Photos Of my Finished pep Assault Helm.

Here is the back of the helmet. :)
Working on my shins, basically just testing sizes.
Then I'm going to try and finish up resining my chest, and fiber glassing the belt.

What is a good way to prevent warping on a helmet when resining?

024.jpg

025.jpg

What is a good way to prevent warping on a helmet when resining?

For a helmet without supports such as this, the best way to resin is to not do the first coat of resin over the entire helmet. Start with the crown (top half) let that cure, flip it over and resin the rest and let that cure. Once the entire helmet is covered with a coat of resin, you can add a second coat over the entire helmet. I recommend the second coat as it will further strengthen the structure of the helmet so it will stand up better to glassing/rondo, whichever you decide on. This is the method that I've been using for my helmets since my second ODST helmet about two and a half years ago, and I have had no helmets warp on me since.

For a helmet without supports such as this, the best way to resin is to not do the first coat of resin over the entire helmet. Start with the crown (top half) let that cure, flip it over and resin the rest and let that cure. Once the entire helmet is covered with a coat of resin, you can add a second coat over the entire helmet. I recommend the second coat as it will further strengthen the structure of the helmet so it will stand up better to glassing/rondo, whichever you decide on. This is the method that I've been using for my helmets since my second ODST helmet about two and a half years ago, and I have had no helmets warp on me since.
Okay that makes sense, I'll do that. Thank you carpathiavh99!

Hmm how'd I miss this build. Looks good.:cool

I see you've already run into all the same problem that most people do...Sizing. Just remember that it is paper. you can always add/subtract paper to make it fit. Chest plate without the under suit parts, you need to brace it before resin. Most people add those parts then cut it out, to suit there build.

All that said, while going thru you're build. I can see you're skill level getting better and better. At the level where you are now (judging from helmet) you have the potential to make a truly awesome set of armor.:D

I hope this has helped you in some way.

Hmm how'd I miss this build. Looks good.:cool

I see you've already run into all the same problem that most people do...Sizing. Just remember that it is paper. you can always add/subtract paper to make it fit. Chest plate without the under suit parts, you need to brace it before resin. Most people add those parts then cut it out, to suit there build.

All that said, while going thru you're build. I can see you're skill level getting better and better. At the level where you are now (judging from helmet) you have the potential to make a truly awesome set of armor.:D

I hope this has helped you in some way.

Thank you so much thorn696!
And yes it did help. :)

Wow, Rs, I haven't been back here in a while, and I'm floored. I remeber when you started out, I had my helms and armor pepped... now i can barely finish a gun... and you're almost done with your belt!!! *Soooo much win!* keep going girl!

Wow, Rs, I haven't been back here in a while, and I'm floored. I remeber when you started out, I had my helms and armor pepped... now i can barely finish a gun... and you're almost done with your belt!!! *Soooo much win!* keep going girl!

Hahaha! Thanks!

Spart, where did ya go girl!? I kinda abandoned my thread a bit, but that was ... b/c i have no respirator... saaaad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back