New Hardening Method*

Status
Not open for further replies.

stick83

kk so i made my pep arm . but i wasnt aloud to use fiberglass, but my mom bought me whats called modge podge. i coat the armour in it with 2 thin coats and a thick one. (let it dry for 10 minutes in the sun before doing next coat)then i use paper for a coat. cover the paper in modgepodge and put it on the armour and do a think coat over it. keep doing till hard. then do one insdie layer of just moadge podge. when your done spray paint it and its done ! :D

it's a good method. However, mod-podge is water based and will dissolve if held near a humid or moist source for long enough. I know that the armor gets hot after a while in it and your sweat will actually condense on the inside of it. If i were you i'd find some way to waterproof it. You can get spray rubber and polyurethane at home depot, or see if you can sweet talk your mom into letting you use fiberglass. Fiberglass over the top of mod-podge should create some super hardened peps!

i have cthat stuff too!! it works pretty good but i then put fiberglass on mine but its still drying..

any way ya it works pretty good!!

jim. said:
i have cthat stuff too!! it works pretty good but i then put fiberglass on mine but its still drying..

any way ya it works pretty good!!

i had a problem like that with my right pauldron (Shoulder Piece), the resin was still very gummy & sticky after a few days even. All I had to do to fix it was to just drip a few drops of hardener in strategic places on the uncured resin and then just spread it around with my fingers over the top of it. That takes care of that problem in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Modge Podge on my armor too, but you have to be REAL careful about how you apply it. To much Modge Podge can cause your pep to warp very badly and won't look right. I applied light coats first and then thick coats.

yeah pooper. you do like one or two thin coats then teh thick coat.

it will still be flimsy after you do it but once you do the paper and inside its pretty hard, iv already painted mine.
ill post a pic if i can see how to upload to cmop .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spawn Camp3r @ Nov 2 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>pics?
<- It's a lie!</div>

sorry for double post.

its no lie i just uploaded the pics.

halo001.jpg

halo002.jpg

halo003.jpg

done with my crappy paintjob

Looking pretty good so far! I see you've added some black paint for weathering. Are you going to have some silver scratches painted on as well?

I'm also curious about how the helmet will support the weight of the visor just using Modge Podge alone. Can't wait to see it! Keep it up xXSTICKXx... I'll be watching this thread.

pooper said:
Looking pretty good so far! I see you've added some black paint for weathering. Are you going to have some silver scratches painted on as well?

yeah i am going to use silver sctches but. i only hade anough for 2 spray cans so i though ill go back with silver another day,

and yeah youer right i never even thought about the vison on the helm. but then again i might not be able to get a visor. ill let you no

If the weight of the visor is too much for the helmet (assuming you're only going to use mod podge), you can always add some cardboard supports in the back of the helmet to help counter weight it. Just a thought... what part are you going to work on next?

It would be interesting for someone to spray a pep piece with truck bed liner, one layer of resin, and then paper mache it. Save on the toxic expensive materials, "recycle" newspaper, etc.

Gooberz said:
It would be interesting for someone to spray a pep piece with truck bed liner, one layer of resin, and then paper mache it. Save on the toxic expensive materials, "recycle" newspaper, etc.

I use spray rubber (bed liner) over the top of the fiberglass as i need the resin to soak into the cardstock. It works nice because the part on part rubbing tends to strip the green spraypaint off of the piece which leaves a really nice weathered black streaking effect on the parts. I might have to try the paper mache-ing thing on this next round. What I really want to get is the rolls of plaster & try those out!

BFDesigns said:
What I really want to get is the rolls of plaster & try those out!

you can get those at Michaels Arts and crafts stor. its plaster wrap i was going to get some but i didt want to. you wet it with warm water wrap it and let it dry.

Hmmm... the plaster wrap sounds interesting. Something to look into.

Anyway, how's the armor coming along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back