Noble 6 (S-B312). . .a WIP MY WAY. . . Eventually Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your armour is coming along really nicely bro. You've done a great job on the attachment pins (shame it had to break to get there though :(). Looking forward to when you start shaping up the out side of it :)

Tom.

Looking awesome. Sorry to hear about the break. I can't wait to see how section this works out. Till your next up date.:D

Sorry to hear about the break man; looks like you found a good way to keep it together though. Nice repair job. Your build is still awesome.

Great repair work!!

peter-quincy-taggart.jpg

Never giveup, never surrender!

Well im glad to see that you are working hard on this :) everything is looking great so far. Minus the small break that is. but hey you fixed it so its all good! :-D
anyways, keep up the great work bud

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. -- breath -- nooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... You get he point..

Damn it! it broke :( well that sucks... But we must learn from out mistakes! ( and the fact that some supply's are not reliable..) btw when will the s-3 armor you ordered from reach arrive? Lol I know you will fix it

Your armour is coming along really nicely bro. You've done a great job on the attachment pins (shame it had to break to get there though :(). Looking forward to when you start shaping up the out side of it :)

Tom.

Looking awesome. Sorry to hear about the break. I can't wait to see how section this works out. Till your next up date.:D

Aww man, I know exactly how that feels.

KEEP ON TRUCKIN!

Sorry to hear about the break man; looks like you found a good way to keep it together though. Nice repair job. Your build is still awesome.

Great repair work!!

peter-quincy-taggart.jpg

Never giveup, never surrender!

Well im glad to see that you are working hard on this :) everything is looking great so far. Minus the small break that is. but hey you fixed it so its all good! :-D
anyways, keep up the great work bud

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. -- breath -- nooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... You get he point..

Damn it! it broke :( well that sucks... But we must learn from out mistakes! ( and the fact that some supply's are not reliable..) btw when will the s-3 armor you ordered from reach arrive? Lol I know you will fix it

Thanks for the support everyone. I appreciate it.

Mini Update

I was able to get the second alignment post in on the top of the torso this afternoon. Sorry. . . no pics. I had some major warping on one side when I poured for the second post. So, I'll have to bring on the bondo. :p Actually both sides will need bondo now. Just one is worse than the other. :D Oh! Just FYI. . . the neodymium magnets that I bought are very strong. I have to use a screw driver to separate the top part of the torso so I don't break anything again. I used magnets that are 1"L x 1/2"W x 1/4"D and I think they have a N42 rating. I only used one magnet on each side thankfully. LOL!.

I started to work on the bottom section to join it back together and have a couple things to do so I can get it all set to pour rondo in. I went to town tonight to get some epoxy so I'm not fighting the JB Weld on the magnets though. That was the real hold up on getting anything else done today. Well, that and my son and I had to finish his Pine Wood Derby Car for the Pine Wood Derby tomorrow morning for Boy Scouts.

Thanks for all the support on the break I had. I appreciate it. It was scary, but the patch I put on there seems to be working out well. Sorry I do not have pics tonight. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the bottom section put all back together tomorrow at some point and get some pics up before I cut apart the second section on the rung to ad a little room.

Until Next Time. . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least you shouldnt have to worry about the chest falling off with the strong magnets lol

Well at least you shouldnt have to worry about the chest falling off with the strong magnets lol

My thoughts exactly. :D

Although I'm starting to worry about putting the same magnets on the bottom part. I can see what I'm doing up on top. I can't see the bottom. :p

Update!

In case anyone was wondering about the pine car derby turn out. . . My son placed first in his bracket against kiddos in his pack, but was no where near the top of the pack overall. . . . LOL!!! I think he did well for his first one.

I was able to get the torso all back together tonight. I ran an extension cord to the shed so I had some light. LOL!!!

I used Cereal's methods again by using a playing card hot glued in place as a dam and stuck my alignment posts through it lubed up on one side with vaseline. The epoxy I got worked a lot better than the JB weld around the magnets too. I did the same thing that I did on the upper section that was joined together. Here's how I set it up when it was ready for rondo to be poured in.

th_IMG_1732_zps3e41aaae.jpgth_IMG_1734_zps0b2427c1.jpg

Once it was all said and done here's how it came out.

The Back Section
th_IMG_1735_zpscd0b7d15.jpgth_IMG_1736_zps1cdc7269.jpgth_IMG_1737_zpsb7bedc24.jpg

The Front Section
th_IMG_1738_zpsa7923bda.jpgth_IMG_1740_zps2b565a71.jpgth_IMG_1741_zps584b9491.jpg

And the whole thing together. . . .

IMG_1749_zps0413e01c.jpg

Right Side Inside and Out
th_IMG_1748_zpscac8ae7d.jpgth_IMG_1746_zps906914e5.jpg

Left Side Inside and Out
th_IMG_1747_zpsa3d07446.jpgth_IMG_1745_zpsd3276485.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with how it came out. A little bondo in a couple of key places and it will look good. The connections are strong and I don't think I'll be needing a back up system to make sure something doesn't fall in the event it comes apart. If I'm not careful, the parts pinch the heck out of me after they're lined up. I've opened up the holes for the alignment posts a little with a dremel to make them slide a little easier, but I still have to use something to pry them open a little to take it off. I did a test fit to make sure I'd be able to take it off and was able to get it off without too much hassle. Don't have any pics of that one right now. I'll get some after I mod the back part of the rungs. I keep thinking to myself it could look better at this point. I beat my self up a lot so I think I could have done better, but it's too late now. . . LOL!!! That's why there's a bondo stage.

When I was saying in a previous post that I had some warping issues on the top, this is what I was talking about.

Top Right
th_IMG_1743_zps4be1cb18.jpg

The thing looks like a set of waves coming towards the beach and the back section is slightly higher than the front section.

Top Left (looking from the back)
th_IMG_1744_zpsa20eeb0a.jpg

The front of this one got wavy too, but the main problem is that the front section is higher than the back section on this side right there on the corner. Since I was working with it upside down, I was making sure that the bottom was lining up nicely, but the heat from the rondo made the top section bulge a bit and pushed it out. AARRGGHHH!!!! LOL!

All of the issues are fixable with a bit of bondo, but I was really hoping for not having to use all that much. Oh well. . . Guess not. HA!!! Now it's off to modifying the back part of those rung things to give me enough room for the ab plate. Oh! By the way. . . The torso fits perfect right now. I am only modifying the rungs to give about two inches of space so that the hardened ab plates will fit under the front like it should.

Thanks for looking everyone. All feedback, criticism and comments are welcomed and encouraged as always. Until Next Time. . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!

Still looks awesome. The fact that your trying to do something that not many have only makes it better. :)

This is looking pretty good. for my build im probably gonna stick with buckles, but strong magnets are an interesting method too. :p

exelent everything is going acording to plan! :) glad to see that you fixed that break

Thanks, Croc. Appreciate that.

Still looks awesome. The fact that your trying to do something that not many have only makes it better. :)

Thanks so much, Thorn. Are you referring to the magnet thing?

This is looking pretty good. for my build im probably gonna stick with buckles, but strong magnets are an interesting method too. :p

Thanks for the compliments, Conman.
The magnets really do work well despite the warping the large amounts of rondo caused.
Having to pry it open I'm sure will be a pain in the wazoo when I'm completely suited up. I don't mind though.

Update

Well sorta. I got the torso cut apart and a section added in that I can expand on the back of the rungs to make it a little more game accurate. I have some photos of how I did it and stuff, but my virus protection, chrome and Internet Explorer are all showing that our beloved site is infected with malware again. Right now I'm doing this from my phone.

I've sent messages to Adam and Carpathiavh about it with some info about what my virus protection picked up on. Hopefully they'll be able to squash it soon. When there's no more malware warnings, I'll post a better update with pics. Hoping this weekend I'll be able to start on the under suit.

Are you referring to the magnet thing?
There are very few people who could pull off a Reach build with a split chest. The Magnets are the icing on the cake and just add to it. :D

There are very few people who could pull off a Reach build with a split chest. The Magnets are the icing on the cake and just add to it. :D

Well, thank you, Thorn. I didn't realize that it was rare though. I thought it was the norm. :p
I do appreciate the compliments and your following along.

I agree with thorn, it looks great man :)

Thank you kindly, Mstruvmgc.

Pic Update

I didn't get a malware notice today, so figured I'd try to get the pics on what I did the other day up.

I cut apart the back section of the rung from the middle to add a little more room for the ab plate. I hot glued playing card pieces in place to hold it all together.

Left and right rungs before filling
th_IMG_1750_zps50a7939b.jpgth_IMG_1751_zps97036cb2.jpgth_IMG_1752_zps19739dbe.jpgth_IMG_1753_zpsc79e8f28.jpg

Then I filled it in with store bought bondo glass and added some resin to the mixture (rondo glass I guess you'd call it).

Inside Look
th_IMG_1760_zps84b631a9.jpgth_IMG_1761_zpsba851a5a.jpg

Just FYI this stuff was nasty!!!! LOL! This is what I wound up with on the outside.

Right
th_IMG_1757_zpsb3c23627.jpgth_IMG_1759_zpsc0d9bc6f.jpgth_IMG_1758_zps64539947.jpg

Left
th_IMG_1754_zpsbfe2437d.jpgth_IMG_1756_zps935f5da7.jpgth_IMG_1755_zpsaee647f7.jpg

As it turned out, I only needed to add about an inch to give me the room that I needed and to help get the center bottom part of the back (where the spine plates start to come from on the back) off of my back to leave room for under suit detail.

It really does look better in person. In these photos I don't think you can really see the way it came out with the little angle like the back is overlapped to the center part of the rung. When I get to the bondo stage of all this, I'll most likely add a little bit more in this area to make it look like a couple screen shots that show it to be rounded and protruding a little more, because I have a couple spots to fill to make it look better anyway.

Over the last couple of days when I had time, I've been playing with ideas on the under suit and how to add the details with the latex I have. I've put on my spandex under suit base and marked where I am in it for reference when it's on the dummy. I still have to cut the feet off of it and sew it back up so I can put it on the dummy though. Maybe tomorrow on that one.

I've also been stocking up on things for painting and doing research in that department. So, tally up about another $150 -$200 over the last couple days for supplies and paint guns. There was a thread I stumbled upon that BoneRiot started with a link to a Stan Winston School of Art Video that has painting techniques. The guy that is demonstrating the techniques was involved in painting things like Terminator and Halo live action trailers like Deliver Hope. It is an awesome video and I highly recommend it. It may take some time to download, but it is well worth it. I really wanted to get the primer that he used in the video, but 3M is showing that it is obsolete now. So, I'm asking for help from all the painters here on the 405th. . . . Can anyone recommend a very good lacquer based black primer in aerosol cans? I've ordered some Alclad II and need black lacquer based primer as a base before I use the Alclad on the parts. I also want some in standard gray. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated, because I'm not savvy when it comes to paint types. Savvy? LOL! All I know is colors, finishes and if it's in a spray can or regular old paint can. LOL! I do know what enamels, acrylics and latex based things are, but not whether or not something is good and if it's lacquer based. Thorn . . . I know you know your paint. . . got any suggestions?

Hope y'all like the pics and hope you can help me out with the paint issue. I can use all the help y'all are willing to give. Keep the feedback and criticism coming.

More great progress! You know something? I think you should copyright "Until Next Time. . . Keep Building and Make It FUN!!!!" as your official motto ;)

Great work, and can't wait to see more!

-Seth

Looking awesome as normal. :)
The 2 best Primers on the market are as follows.

Plasti-Kote™ Sandable Primer – can be found at Auto Zone and other auto supply stores in the U.S. Contact: Plasti-Kote in Medina, OH Tel. 800 431 5928 or www.plasti-kote.com

Bulldog™ Adhesion Promoter - Contact: W.M. Barr Co. in Memphis, TN Tel. 800 398 3892 or www.wmbarr.com. Or order online at www.levineautoparts.com

Give plenty of time to fully cure. Then paint away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back