Noobs first chief build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnieDarko

Hey guys this is my first build. I had been documenting with pictures with my iphone but it decided to break and all my pictures are gone till i can replace my phone. So these pictures are a bit ahead of the initial pep. These pics are of the bondo work I'm doing. please excuse the bad quality, more updates will come and better pictures when i get my pone fixed

Thanks all.

Darko..

You cAn see my smoothing process and some of the spot putty work (i had to use a lot) i found applying spot putty worked best with a straight razor
get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg

I had to do some a major patch here because it wasn't a spot i had the fiber glass mat on and when i went to sand it tore it and cracked... excuse the crooked finger thats the one i broke lol
get-attachment-1aspx-1.jpg

Just a side view. I have a hard time sanding in small areas with angles
get-attachment-2aspx-1.jpg

I thought this would show you how its coming together up top and getting that nice curve
get-attachment-3aspx-1.jpg

Front view of the work
get-attachment-6aspx.jpg

Some pics of the other side. For some reason this side scarred up a lot more then the other and its taking A LOT of sanding.... i like the bondo stage because you can finally see your pieces start to come together and there is no really ruining your whole armor piece cause you can just sand it down. I was scared to use it at first but now its my savior lol.
get-attachment-5aspx.jpg

get-attachment-4aspx-1.jpg

OK wow way to many posts a double post(to posts in a row with no other response) is frowned on use the edit function and add more than one picture, on to the helmet its looking great, yea some better pictures would be nice but it looks like your coming along nicely.

Every time i went to edit post and add to it it would sit and not load it up and then the web page would freeze and so i had to do multiple posts ill delete the above sorry for the problems. Thank you for informing me

edit dont work for me either but hit the advanced edit after edit(it works) and thats how i edit... looks good tho

Thanks another week till i can get some better pics up. Have not worked on it in the past few days but ill post some updates soon.

Leet: ill try that next time, thanks. I looked at your armor,I would not have considered painting white but with the black it looks sick. Hope to see any of your future projects.:cool

AND YES going into advanced edit worked just fine thanks again. Sorry for the double double post again lol.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAYS: i think i have found a way to incorporate the night vision inside the helmet it might be costly but its will be shweet.

Im starting the torso next (eek) Im a little worried about where i should split it and when.

more bondo work...bondo after bondo after bondo..ugh lol

get-attachmentaspx-2.jpg

get-attachment-5aspx-1.jpg

get-attachment-4aspx-2.jpg

get-attachment-2aspx-2.jpg

(SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST BUT I CANT EDIT FOR SOME REASON)

im getting closer to being done with the bondo still alot to do.
i used a primer to find all the flaws.. note one side is alot closer to being done then the other

get-attachment-7aspx.jpg

get-attachment-6aspx-1.jpg

Can you tell which side is not even close to being done lol
get-attachment-8aspx.jpg

ANOTHER UPDATE!

its been long since i last worked on it so im still perfecting the helmet. id say im almost 80%done so far

flat primer black to spot bad spots
get-attachment-3.jpg

normal foam?.....NO! i ordered ALOT of temperpedic memory foam samples..this will be one of the comfiest helmets lol.
get-attachment-4.jpg

ok so big update i did some painting and floating faces on to the helmet.. i still have to make the helmet look like its been in action and some minor paint detailing a lot to do i just ordered the 2 visors pics soon and same story for the leds..and magnets

first coat of paint looks orange lol but its actually dark red
get-attachment-10aspx.jpg

floating faces added
get-attachment-5aspx-2.jpg
get-attachment-7aspx-1.jpg

get-attachment-6aspx-2.jpg

quick paint to edit and add details ad smoothing later.. much more to come
get-attachment-9aspx-1.jpg

added a really thin foam padding to make the inside easier to place pads and it makes it look nicer inside
get-attachment-8aspx-1.jpg

VISORS CAME!!!!!!!! test fitted the first one to make sure it fit.. going to go cut the second now and fill the gap between the visor and helmet but im stumped on how to do that.. any suggestions ?
Photo70.jpg

Looks good so far!

I saw that Longshot-X put his visor in by covering it with clear wrap (for food) and then clear tape to hold it on. That way his visor was super protected. He then used more tape to put the visor exactly where he wanted it, and then used a small amount of expanding foam to fill in the gap between helmet and visor. Let it sit, then grind away all the excess. He said his fit like a charm with some hot glue, no problem. I stuck mine in place with some hot glue, then filled the edges with epoxy for a more permanent stick.

It seems to be turning out well, im still looking for my visor, but im definatly going with the foam method. I do however have a question:
What is it that you used for the details on each side of the visor and the bottom of the sun-visor? Ive thought of using the traction pads used on skateboards for mine but yours seems more like foam. Am I right in my assumptions?
Keep up the good work!
-Gryphon

Looks good so far!

I saw that Longshot-X put his visor in by covering it with clear wrap (for food) and then clear tape to hold it on. That way his visor was super protected. He then used more tape to put the visor exactly where he wanted it, and then used a small amount of expanding foam to fill in the gap between helmet and visor. Let it sit, then grind away all the excess. He said his fit like a charm with some hot glue, no problem. I stuck mine in place with some hot glue, then filled the edges with epoxy for a more permanent stick.

i ended up using this method and it turned out great.. i had to cover the exposed foam with another pass of bondo but all in all it turned out really good..thanks for that info

It seems to be turning out well, im still looking for my visor, but im definatly going with the foam method. I do however have a question:
What is it that you used for the details on each side of the visor and the bottom of the sun-visor? Ive thought of using the traction pads used on skateboards for mine but yours seems more like foam. Am I right in my assumptions?
Keep up the good work!
-Gryphon

i went to a craft store and they had these thin black foam pad sheets they were like 79 cents each so i bought alot and used them insted of paper like some people used for the floating faces im very happy with it, they were super easy to cut and flexible i used them to also spice up the inside of the helmet and make it look sleek inside. AND you said you were still looking for a visor well check these out if you haven't already

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mo...8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1284344165&sr=8-28
i have not tried them out my self but if i had known about them before i purchased my 30 dollar each one i would have

looks great! why are u sting in the noob forum?

lol flattering but im still very much a noob!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE!
well i worked my arssss off figuring out how to wire in the led....well after burning my finger tips to the point where i had no prints or nerve feeling LOL (no joke)
i finally got lights in! rocker switch and all
get-attachment-12aspx.jpg

get-attachment-11aspx.jpg

get-attachment-13aspx.jpg

WOW!awesome helmet man, i love that helmet and yes that is going to be the comfiest helmets ever lol :p

Looks like you lost some detail from over bondo-ing and could have spent a tad bit more time on the details and pins holes and such. But a great first helmet.

Looks like you lost some detail from over bondo-ing and could have spent a tad bit more time on the details and pins holes and such. But a great first helmet.

I didn't take my time pepping and due to a ALOT of errors i had to do more bondo than i wanted, i realized i was going over some things but thanks for bringing that to my attention. First thing i plan on doing is remaking the helmet with the knowledge and experienced i gained wile screwing it up a lot lol.I've been far more careful and observing with the chest piece which i am pepping now. after my suit is done i WILL redo the helmet. i did this helmet in 2 weeks.. very rushed: and this camera takes poop like pictures. HOPE for better pictures soon.

btw checked out your helmet and you made mine look like a ghetto mc lol.

So the girl friends little bro found my helmet motocross pads and my pellet gun and begged me to take a couple pictures so i did lol
enjoy

get-attachment-14aspx.jpg

get-attachment-15aspx.jpg

get-attachment-16aspx.jpg

get-attachment-17aspx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back