Odst - Dare W.i.p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some info I would like to share about my progress.......(somebody PLEASE read! Need a bit of help!)

I went to go buy some more resin today. There was a guy there that remembered me from last time and asked how my armor ws coming along. The guy that was helping me became more interested. He helped me pick out my paint so I got the right stuff and my spot putty. I actually took the chestplate with me so I could show them what I was putting this stuff on.

The guy gave me an awesome discount on the stuff I bought and saved me close to $10! :D He also asked me if I was going to be using a dremmel and I told him that I don't have one and he explained that they carried some, but clearanced them out. Employees could get them for $10 so he bought 8 and said that he could let me use one! :D:D

He also became MORE interested in the armor thing and said that he has seen people that were wearing stuff they made. He asked me if I could make a Transformer suit for his boy and if so, how much it would be. He even asked how much would he be lookin at if he were to make it himself. I told him that the cheapest would be about $100-$150 to make your own. He then asked me if I could do it and asked what I would charge! I gave him my price and he still seem interested.

So I need to know, are there ANY pep files that exist for Transformers? I'm not sure which character he wants as he didn't specify. I will be asking him when I go back to the auto store to pick up the dremmel from him saturday.

As for my progress, I began more fiberglassing. Started to do the thigh pieces. I hope to get my knee pieces painted by the end of the day. :)

@ HaloGoddess super lucky lol im not sure if there is any transformer files but ill do some searching if no one has any

i wish i could get some work done on my ODST but im getting homework from almost all my teaches :(

im hoping to get some resinin done this weekend

Wow, sounds like you've got a fan already
wink.gif
. I don't know of any .pdo files right off hand, but I do know of a full bumblebee .pdf file out there for papercraft. I'm not saying build a full costume off of that, but it would definitely give you some good reference. I thought I remembered seeing someone on here designing an Optimus Prime head, highly detailed, just can't remember who though
dry.gif

I did a search here on the 405th, and the results were few, mainly links to papercraft models that were about 12" in height and folded uber hi-def models. I also read that the main reason that there is no pep files for the Transformers is because of the sheer amount of details in the models, and that if you really want to make a Transformers armor set, it's better to do it from scratch, or settle for the ones from the old cartoons.

Here's a link to the thread I found http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s...ansformers pep file&fromsearch=1&#entry312991

Here's a few suggestions; if the armor is for a kid, then you could tell his dad to go buy the helmet, and you could construct the rest. Start with a basic undersuit, almost like what my Cortana suit is like, or if you want to go a more simple route, a plain black sweatsuit. Next, start constructing the armor out of cardstock, followed by resin/bondo/painting/etc. After you have constructed the armor, get some industrial velcro to attach the pieces to the suit, making it easy to put on/take off, and so they can wash the undersuit. It's a few starting points to improve on, but you get the basic idea. :)

I have knees! haha

My knee pieces are pretty much done. Just need to clear coat them so they stay nice and protected. :) I found a really good color to use as my main color.

For my blackwash, I did it a little differently. I still followed one technique by painting the area and then use a rag to sorta wipe it. I used some black acrylic paint and used a sponge brush to paint the area that I was going to have black. I used a rag, BUT I made an area of it damp. I painted the area and first used the wet part of the rag to smear the paint then used a dry part to wipe it a little more. If you are familiar with "scratch art" then you may be familiar with the technique I used to create my scratches. All I did was use an exacto knife and just scratched away! :)

One not complete, one finished.....

knee4.jpg

BOTH finished! :D

knee3.jpg

knee2.jpg

knee1.jpg

It's also lookin like my chestplate will be the next thing to be finished. I should have that done by tomorrow. :)

Looking good with the knees, one mine are real fat, I screwed up >_<. Oh well, least you don't have to deal with much pep if at all anymore.

i was looking at the first Dare pic you posted (the bungie render) and if you look to the rear of her abplate.. is that the bottom portion of the male ODST torso?? maybe im crazy but im looking at the pep version of the male torso/back and it loks a lot like that piece :unsure

Awesome knees. I'm going to have to try out some of your paint techniques sometime.

Did LOTS more today. Not as much as I wanted since it suddenyl got cold real quick and was getting too windy. I had fiberglass pieces flying around! D:

But I did manage to get my helmet glassed:

helmet_glass.jpg

And I ALMOST have my hip plates finished. NOT NEARLY as good I was hoping. I was going for a "beat up" look, but I'm not exactly too happy with it. *sigh*

hip.jpg

hip2.jpg

hip3.jpg

And then my chesplate. It's not 100% done, but it's getting there. Still needs a few more final touches.

chestplate_paint.jpg

Painting DARE across the top was a pain. I had to paint it upside down! haha So yeah, instead of painting the letter "A" as you normally would, I had to do it upside down. I had to do it this way because of how the bottom part of where the name goes is slanted and I needed to make sure that I got down far enough so holding it upside down was the best way I could do it. In the pictures, I can see a little bit of test above her name. I wish I knew what that said! XD

So eh, some stuff is looking okay, some could be better. I know my "finished" pieces may not be the greatest, but I think it will work. BLAH.........

You might try weathering the rough spots of the hip plates. Bah, I wish I could just draw on the pictures real quickly...but you know the rought spots where one spot of bondo is slightly higher than the other? They make natural points to be disguised as pieces being chipped off or cracks.

I now have SEVEN days left to complete this! D: My shins are a bit behind since I have not even resined them yet! I managed to get both forearm pieces glassed and I resined the ab plate. I still need to get her pack done, but I am waiting for forgedreclaimer to finish modeling it. I gave him some better reference pics so he can make it a bit more accurate. Then harding29 will be unfolding it.

My main issue is the visor. I don't have much money at all. I only have about $30 and I still have to worry about what I am going to wear under it!! Still so much left to do........

I wonder if I will even have this finished. I'm going to be WAY sad if I don't have this done in time. :(

i think ull finish it in time since u got everything done so quickly,for the undersuit if ya have to just get some black or dark gray long pants and shirts but everything turning out great and good luck with the time/build

i know my siut isnt goin to be done by the time the ODST firefight thing comes on friday since i need to get most of my pieces resined and the pieces i have resined arent painted or anyhing

HaloGoddess, if you have to, you can use some kind of clear plastic on the visor with a gold tint. I'm not sure where some people got their tint but you may even do something like using a 2 liter bottle's plastic just for the launch.

Here's a tidbit. I didn't finish glassing my forearms til about a few hours before the halo 3 launch but I got it done and everyone loved it.

Dang this just gets better and better goddess. Also did you end up going to the odst event? I was gonna go but then my ride had car troubles and didnt want to risk breaking down halfway there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back