Phoenix Team Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roxy, you can fill in my name now on the opening thread. Don't have much for armor done yet, but I have started the Laser as well. And, it's functional.

A group out in Phoenix? I grew up out there near Luke AFB in Goodyear.
I like the idea of working as a group. Takes this from a very lone-wolf activity to a social event. I've been considering trying to get some of my friends to give it a shot (though I doubt any of them would be up for the hours of pep). Anyways, I'll be interested to see how your work ends up.

@ Uncle Fellow
The most time consuming part that I found is just the cutting. We've been using X-acto knives and a slab of granite. Obviously blades get dull but we've got more. It's just obnoxious because most of the parts have the SLIGHTEST angles and you can't just make one cut for a side, it turns to 3. That seems to be with every line more than an inch long.

@ Rhinoc
Oh my gawd I'd be so happy if you could do that. I've been dreading the scratch build on the chest because I'm completely new to all of this. I've had ideas throwing around my head but nothing awe-inspiring has hit me yet. I've got his boot cover and helm. I'm changing his arms a little bit because his right one is hard to see in most ref-pictures but I'm sure it'll look fine. The handplates are another problem. They're a small piece though so I'm sure I'd be able to wing those.
I also know Jorge's legs are massive. Well, to say the least, mine are not. So I'm just going to go with the mark VI route. I may add some extra bondo on it to make it seem a bit more worthy of being called a "Jorge knock-off". We'll see how that goes. X_x

EDIT:
ALSO, Any Phoenix Residents!
We ARE actively looking to fill some roles for our group. We're looking for a few ODST troops and of course a few Marines. I believe we only have room (currently) for one more Spartan. We haven't had a chance to meet as a group for about a week now so it's been hard to talk things over. I'd like to run a group of 6 Spartans, 3 ODST, and as many marines as we can get. We've also got our two A.I. Aether and Cortana. Aether is a completely original idea and we're going to try and work Cortana into our storyline as best we can. If there is any interest regarding this last paragraph, please send any PMs to ME about this. I'm taking over the role of active recruiter while I'm still in Phoenix (I'll be moving to Flag in a month).

Picture2.png

How does that chest look? lolzies
Sorry but at the moment it isnt unfolded! Still waiting for someone to do that!
If you want I can crank out some shins and make an addon to my forearm to make it more like Jorges
http://www.4shared.com/file/EzdgIONe/Reach_Forearm_by_Rhinoc.html that is the forearm you'll need to download for the addon to fit correctly

That looks fantastic! I'm actually on someone else's computer but I haven't started on the forearms. It's actually my next project! :D I figured I was going to throw a "plate" on them and belt them to my arms. XD That would have looked so... well not good. But that again would be so awesome! Thank you!

Hmm...
Never mind, dont download the forearm. I'm looking at Jorge and I need to make a new one from scratch.
Disregard the link in my post above.

Never mind again, download it, I got a closer look and it is the same

Awe. That's fine. I'm definitely in no rush if someone is going to make it for me. I feel lazy... Is there anything I can do in return for you?

EDIT:
ALSO, Any Phoenix Residents!
We ARE actively looking to fill some roles for our group. We're looking for a few ODST troops and of course a few Marines. I believe we only have room (currently) for one more Spartan. We haven't had a chance to meet as a group for about a week now so it's been hard to talk things over. I'd like to run a group of 6 Spartans, 3 ODST, and as many marines as we can get. We've also got our two A.I. Aether and Cortana. Aether is a completely original idea and we're going to try and work Cortana into our storyline as best we can. If there is any interest regarding this last paragraph, please send any PMs to ME about this. I'm taking over the role of active recruiter while I'm still in Phoenix (I'll be moving to Flag in a month).

Well, so far there are only 2 other people wanting to join our team as Spartans, so 6 Spartans should be okay, but I don't think limiting the team would be in our best interests, Rick. I guess we need to discuss this some more.

But yes, adding some ODSTs and Marines would be nice. ^^

@Cloudsshroud
oh okay. ^^ You didn't friend me so I forgot your user name. I'll add you now.
You got the Lazer to work? Whuuuuut???

@Rhinoc
Thanks for doing the pepakura models for Rick. He's been stressing about that, so thankyou!!!

My jun helm warped during the rondo roto process because I cut corners, I'm about halfway through the forgedreclaimer Jorge helm currently. Maybe we can coordinate something Rick- the model was too damn good for me to not attempt it. I sclaed it at the default 300mm size. If I do bondo work worth a crap maybe we can get it molded. I'm more of an appropriate heigh to be a marine or odst- odst armor just looks like a pain in the ass to make.

Awe. That's fine. I'm definitely in no rush if someone is going to make it for me. I feel lazy... Is there anything I can do in return for you?
I dont need anything from you! I love doing models and your giving me reasons to make them! Actually, i do have one request... make this the best damn Jorge you can!

@RoxyRoo
No problem! If there is anything anyone on Phoenix team needs I will make it for you guys. Good luck on your build!

@ Rhinoc
You rule! :D

@ Rosh
What did you have in mind? I have a few models from different folks on the helm but I think I'm going to follow basic forum advice and make the helm last. As for scaling goes I hardly have to scale it. With the 3-4 inches of extra room I'm sitting at about 80 inches. MC is 84. /shrug

@ Roxyroo
Yes, we DO need to talk about it more. Hence why I said "currently" not "everybody go away I only want this one." Haha. It'd be nice if Keith came over and we all got some work done as a group. Crimson as well...even though she'll be done so much sooner than us. It'd be inspiring to see a finished costume in our group. Plus, then she'll have time to add the hints of code we were talking about. :3

Yea, doing the helm last is always good advice to make sure you don't gas out instantly- I should have focused on one of my weaker armor parts first but I decided I'm redoing the whole thing anyways and my mark vi helm isn't up to what I'm capable of. I'll make a wip thread with pics once I get home from work so you can see what I'm up to. I'm ordering some smoothcast 320 to harden this one since it's a little less prone to warpage than the rondo method- I'll also be reinforcing it to high hell. If I mess this one up I'll take it as a sign and start working on easy to mold pieces like kneepads and handguards.

All of team phx's work looks great so far, can't wait to see the week 4 vid!

@Roxyroo: The laser is going through a few different prototype stages. I'm making the cartridge out of A 4D-cell Maglight modified to produce a little over 50mw of red laser with a potentiometer and dimmer to tone it down for cons lol and run and fire capacitors to make the charge-and-fire realistic. The problem is, red is EXTREMELY hard to make visible to the naked eye because of where it sits in the color spectrum. Plan B will be to just throw a few green 5mw's together (the highest power you can legally buy in the US is 5mw because 10mw+ can actually light a match on fire)

@Aether: Haha, nice post-caption.

Thanks for the support guys!

@ Cloudsshroud
Sounds epic! Keith and I had this conversation. He said he's working on the capacitors and wiring for the laser but he said roughly the same thing. Over 10mw is illegal, 50mw or something close to can burn human flesh. Heh.

In the words of Cortana, "You're Crazy! Unfortunately for us both, I like crazy."

amen to that im wearing my mark vi to reach release.......im gonna look well nerdcore! but i dont care

I wish I was going to be in Phoenix for the release of Reach, but ya'll will just have to wear what you have completed and take lots of pictures! I'm excited! I'll have to wear what i've finished to the release in Michigan...
Any soldiers out there in Michigan...? *IS AFRAID TO BE LONELY* ; w ;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back