Pizza VK78 Commando

tahu505

Sr Member
Member DIN
S505
I'm going to be making a commando and it's going to have the pizza time coating. This build has been on my list for a while and I'm catching up on my project list.
20230307_184738.jpg

I'm using TurboCharizard files that I got from Extra Life 2022. Here's what I've printed so far.
20231107_010241.jpg

Very interested in seeing how you're going to do the pattern for this one, especially since the Infinite version is more complicated than the H5 one.

One thing's for sure, though: it's going to be absolutely delicious.

How do you plan to do the paint ? Hydro dipping would be my first thought...
Hydro dipping was my first thought too. I know there's pizza patterns for hydro dipping. Like Wraith0912 said, Infinite's version is definitely more complex and realistic looking than Halo 5's. I've never actually tried hydro dipping before, so this is a great opportunity to learn something new!

P.S. I absolutely used the Last Slice in Halo 5. That never came off my AR once I got it.

Small update. I printed out all of the parts for the barrel. The gas piston rods were a little tricky to print and get support out. I might get steel or aluminum rods of the same size to replace them. I'm going to print the greeblies next. I'm just going in order of the files to keep track of all these nicely detailed parts.
1000006319.jpg

I'm going to be making a commando and it's going to have the pizza time coating. This build has been on my list for a while and I'm catching up on my project list.
View attachment 338254

I'm using TurboCharizard files that I got from Extra Life 2022. Here's what I've printed so far.
maybe you can get that pizza design made in wrap... like the ones they use on cars.. it should form to the rifle once you use a blow dryer. I have not tried it. but have a friend that ones a car wrapping shop.

maybe you can get that pizza design made in wrap... like the ones they use on cars.. it should form to the rifle once you use a blow dryer. I have not tried it. but have a friend that ones a car wrapping shop.
That could also be a potential idea! I forgot about wraps. I'd probably need to see how hot the blow dryer or heat gun needs to get for a wrap to make sure it doesn't warp the 3d printed plastic.

That could also be a potential idea! I forgot about wraps. I'd probably need to see how hot the blow dryer or heat gun needs to get for a wrap to make sure it doesn't warp the 3d printed plastic.
not to hot,,, its a hair dry blower on high and you dont have to hold it to long for the wrap to shrink

and you dont have to hold the heat gun or hair dryer,, i would buy a small one. and use a spare part to see if it works.. im almost certain it and work
I do have some scrap parts so I could give it a try! It would be interesting to see what other non-pizza patterns there are for wraps for other projects too.

I do have some scrap parts so I could give it a try! It would be interesting to see what other non-pizza patterns there are for wraps for other projects too.
the build that i did for mandolorian i made in eva.. i have yet to dip into 3d printing. wraps wont work on eva foam..

I got all the greeblies printed in 1 day! Except for the dummy round since I don't plan on adding it for now. I also still need to print the fastener greeblies, but probably won't do that until around when I'm assembling the main parts to avoid mixing them up.
1000006323.jpg

I've started the first print for the HUD module. This is where things get interesting. I remembered that the HUD module sticks out of the left side of the prop. I'm left handed, so it will be sticking out and away from me when I hold it, which will look weird. So I'm going to mirror all the asymmetrical parts on this prop to turn it into a left handed pizza commando.

I printed out all of the HUD parts except for the HUD module left and right. I started them earlier but noticed 6 hrs in that I forgot to mirror them to be left handed, so the print for those is restarting now. While those are printing on Nynrah-5 (my ender 5 plus) I have the smaller parts for the main body printing on Ada-3 (my ender 3).

Right as I was on a roll with these prints, my stock hot end broke. I've had this stock creality hot end for 1 year and 4 months, which is longer than my last stock one lasted. I ordered the Microswiss all metal hot end already and it should arrive tomorrow. So until then, Nynrah-5 is getting a little break.
1000006388.jpg

After both the new hotend and a new Capricorn bowden tube, I printed the clip. I'm not too sure what happened here since it's the same material and settings that were used before. My ender 3 also uses the same hotend and bowden tube but the prints have no stringing or gaps, again, the same material was used on the ender 3 as the ender 5 plus.
1000006617.jpg

1000006618.jpg
1000006619.jpg
1000006620.jpg

I've noticed that the esun fire engine red I bulk order came in a lighter color than normal. I have a roll of the new red loaded into both my ender 3 and 5, and it works fine in the ender 3. It might be this one specific roll that's a bad batch? I could try swapping the rolls and trying it on my ender 3 to find out.

Edit:
I didn't even need to let the 2nd benchy finish to see that it was printing significantly better, which means the roll is not a bad batch. I took a look at the thermistor on my ender 5 plus next because I know that part is sensitive and I recently swapped the hot end. It could be printing at a different temperature than it's reading. I compared the thermistors on both of my printers and adjust the one on my ender 5 plus. If this doesn't work, I might need a new thermistor.
1000006621.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back