spn_phoenix_92's Halo Reach Foam Armor Build (Pic Heavy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol that pumpkin is freaking awesome lol. I gather you are going to dress up for Halloween too? I'm going dressed as a 14th century armoured foot soldier. I have authentic 14guage steel body armor. Its a little heavy but is very comfortable.

Yeah I'm using an Ezio Auditore costume I made a couple years ago, unless I go with a plan I've been thinking of, building a quick Mark V suit of cardboard :p

UPDATE!

After a few days of not being able to work on my suit, I finally took the time tonight and made the left shoulder in one sitting, took about 5 hours to do lol. It still needs some sanding around the edges and some of the excess hot glue cleaned off, but I think I'm getting better at working with foam. :cool

DSCN0493_zpscfbb406e.jpg

DSCN0495_zpseafc3265.jpg

DSCN0494_zpsb250f343.jpg

DSCN0497_zps59ae3c3a.jpg

DSCN0496_zps5134a5a9.jpg

I used Forged Reclaimer's pepakura file and unfolded it to suit foam work.

Gonna try to finish my other project (link in signature) over the next few days, then start back up on this.

I've been thinking on something to use to fill in seams in foam, something that can be applied like putty and dries hard and is sandable and paintable, and I thought of this. Anyone know if something like this would work?

0002600000887_500X500_zps15666397.jpg

You want to use a silicone sealer. Just get a bit on your finger and smooth it into the gaps. Works a treat!

I ordered an airbrush a couple weeks ago and it finally came in today, I also got some Tamiya Clear Red paint and a cheap pair of chrome sunglasses, and I got to work on an idea. I really don't like the mirror red iridium visors you can find easily, and true red mirror visor is rare and expensive. So I decided to use redshirt's tut on visor painting minus the silver undercoat. Here are the results I got.

Here is my new airbrush :D

DSCN0514_zps639377f4.jpg

This is the paint I used

21346erg_zps60690221.jpg

Here are the glasses before

DSCN0506_zps2739edbd.jpg

Here are the glasses after. I forgot to hold the airbrush close so it dried instantly and uneven.

DSCN0510_zpsb3486b75.jpg

This is how it looks through the glasses (not actual pic thru them, cause my camera was being stupid so I just took a picture without them and edited it to look the same)

DSCN0513_zps3292bc52.jpg

As you can see, everything looks blood red. I'm not sure if I like it or not, I'm gonna buy a cheap clear visor and some aluminum buffing paint and do the redshirt tutorial all the way through that way and see if there's a difference.

So last night I picked me up one of these bad boys at my local Toys R Us for $30 :p

2471116.jpg

I've seen a couple threads by Sithslayer78 where he used these guns to make Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles. Here are pictures of his builds.

1229092122_zpse173c67f.jpg

0925000913_zps69f256ae.jpg

I originally wanted a sniper rife, and told myself that I didn't want an assault rifle like most people, but after seeing this, it's making me think twice. Anyone have any suggestions? ;)

nerf has one called the Raven that is rear loaded and has the perfect grip for the dmr, br, and ar check it out some time king_L_mo and I have been talking over builds using it. the Recon does make a great sniper.

I just got done scaling and printing the pieces for my forearms, but I noticed something weird, I'm not sure if these lines are intentional or a glitch, I have them circled. If they are glitched, how do I fix them?

q2345_zps175ef4eb.png

4ewst_zps9b5f6aa7.png

This is unrelated, but I've been testing out different kinds of paint with my new airbrush and I did this quick design for a test on plastic. Anyone tell me what anime it's from? :p Hint: The best freakin show ever made!

DSCN0516_zps5d40b035.jpg

So it's been a week since my last post, and still not much progress to report. :/ I've been busy fixing my grandpa's roof and helping the in-laws clean out their old house to sell, so haven't had much time for anything. I did get half of a forearm put together in foam and pepped the very top of my Cqb helmet, but not enough for pictures.

I do have some good news though, my wife got us a pair of 3 day passes to Pax East, so I now have a time frame to finish my suit, and now I am going to make her one as well. I'm going to finish mine first, so when I make hers it will turn out better since I will be more used to this stuff.

Here is the design she wants hers made to, kind of a modified version of her in-game spartan. (Minus the helmet attachments)

Vanity_634869749362012595.png

With this new found determination, I should be able to get the ball rolling. When I have a time limit, it helps keep me from procrastinating. ;)

I've got a few hours to kill before I gotta go to bed for work in the morning, so I'm gonna spend it researching and pepping the helmet. :cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back