Star Wars Imperial Guard Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skupilkinson said:
Test build started now. The face is almost done, the fit is good I think and the shape isn't bad. Though the shape will improve as the rest is built, pulling it all together. Hopefully. LOL!

[attachment=5004:DSC00155.JPG][attachment=5005:DSC00157.JPG]

Dude it look's freaking sweet. ;) Awesome man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad ya like it. :) Thanks Smilie. I'm still working on it in between looking after my sick little girl(tummy bug, 1, 2, 3, "Awe" :) ), I'll upload again when I'm near the half way of the main helmet.

EDIT: I'm cutting out prts now for the cap of the helmet. I thought I'd post a warning for any budding Royal Guards out there who hope to build this.

WARNING. The parts that form the centre/peak of the cap are small. As a result fine cutting and asembly is required. Also for those who feel they need numbers in order to build from a pepakura creation, you're out of luck for this area. The parts are too small for numbers to be readable. Though opening up the PDO in pep and using the "check corresponding face" tool will see you through.

That concludes the warning. ;)It only applies to the fist two rings that make up the area so it's nothing to worry about. For those with expreience with pep and don't feel they need the numbers, you'll have no problem. I didn't.

I, uhhh... I just pooped myself. I've been wanting one of these since I was about 7, and couldn't justify shelling money out for a DP helmet, even when they weren't rare.
You are my new hero.

You're in the same boat as me then. I too can't justify the funds for one which is why I've been wanting to get this project off the ground for some time. It was only after learning the techniques used here that I felt the time was right.

You'll have one soon. ;)

I too can't justify the funds for one

They really are'nt that pricey you know. I picked up a damaged for 25nzd (about 8 pounds) that I've been (slowly) converting to a senate guard helmet master for moulding. And I got one in really good condition for about 200nzd (around 75 pound) When you think about the money time and effort you're going to put into a pepakura build of this helmet, its probably going to cost you about the same amount, if not more, anyway, at least 2 metres of matt, 4 litres of resin, miles of bondo, spot putty, pimer, paint and gloss. I'm not trying to talk you out of it though, making helmets is fun :)

edit, look.. here's one. and its full size too :)
Helmet on ebay

with the current suck state of the dollar, plus shipping, thats around 250 bucks. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but I'm still broke. I can get all the resin, glass, and bondo I need for free from work, meaning a little labor on my part will save me a lot of moolah. I'll have to keep that in mind tho.

Nice find NZ! Only at £7.50 at the mo too, I'll keep an eye on that one though I'd still like to build this one. Like you said, it's fun. :)

Ok, an update for ya.

I'm out of the woods now for the trickiest part of the build. The lid!

It's perhaps overly smooth, perhaps not actually requiring the number of layers I modelled here. Still, it does build into a nice, smooth, curved and stable part. The build should get easier from here on out.

Some pics:
[attachment=5034:DSC00163.JPG]
[attachment=5035:DSC00160.JPG]
[attachment=5036:DSC00161.JPG]

I knew there was another use for an oversized whiskey bottle! LOL!

And this shows the area in question. I posted a warning about the numbers in this area yesterday.
[attachment=5037:DSC00162.JPG]

Shouldn't be long now before I can test the fit!

@ Kerotan 36, So long as this build ends well(looking good so far) then it'll be released. Now if only there was something you could do for me in return. ;) LOL!

@ JediStumpy, It looks alot worse than it is really. See, as this is curved in my papermodelling experience it is better NOT to score and fold every line you see from a pepakura creation. You loose alot of the smoothness(a word?) when dealing with a curved structure and it's actually weaker too. So for all the strips that make up the dome, I scored nothing. Not even the tabs, I only scored tabs and lines that I knew formed sharper edges or corners. So really it's just a lot of cutting and glueing. ;)

I should get to the point where I can wear and asses the fit tonight, so I'll update again then. Thanks for looking guys.

smilie120 said:
Woah look's difficult. But awesome.. Kudos skip cant wait to see this finished! :)

:) It really isn't as bad as it looks then. Just lots of repetetive work. Strip after strip. It probably looks worse because of the numbers, it's highlighting just how many edges thre are. Like I said though, scoring isn't required in alot of this build, or folding lots of little tabs. The main area for scoring and folding is in the face. The rest is easy, just a little tedious. ;)

@ LastSpartan, true enough. It's already pretty smooth, but it'll just make the bondo stage easier too.

Glad you all like it guys.

Wow skip, thats insane! lol and i thought your Boba Fett model was good! Too bad it may not be 501st approved, it would make for an excellent suit.

Im looking over those pictures, and.....uh......there are a lot of faces in that thing. How many would you say there are?

1742 faces. :D And well worth it so far! I'm really happy with how this is going. I'm more impressed with myself for scaling it to actually fit me too! So far anyway, there's a slight bttleneck coming up so I'll know after that.

You've seen my Boba? Cool! I think I remember you mentioning that before come to think of it. ;) I'll be redoing that soon to simplify it and actually scale it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back