Sue's Halo 2 Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calliopeia said:
@ Flyerfye, 5-point, Judge - Thank you!! But nope I didn't sew it. I ordered a made-to-measure purple unitard from a dancewear store, and painted on the rest from there. :D

UPDATES

I did my first makeup test this morning. First off, the paint came out redder and more violet-ish than it appeared on the palette. Also, I had a lot of trouble trying to get it even. As you can see from the photo it was quite patchy. The paint (by GRIMAS), is cream based, and its not exactly the easiest thing to blend.

I wore eyeshadow and eyeliner on top of the paint, but it was, like I said earlier, hard to blend.

I'll keep practicing till I can get it better. Any suggestions or tips? :D

PS. I wish I could claim credit for the beads-in-the-wig genius idea, but alas I cannot; I would never have thought of doing that! This is {Cortana's old wig. Thank you!

Here's a back of the wig photo.

Oh my gosh, the makeup looks really good! A bit reddish, like you said, but good nonetheless. Nothing a little practice can't fix. If you want a few pointers about how I did my eye makeup recently, just look up eye makeup tutorials on youtube! Here's the one I used; although I bought most of the makeup she suggested (except for the LimeCrime stuff, it's just way too pricey), you can always just find similar makeup at your local store.

Smokey Matte Blue Eyes

She also has one for purple eyes, which would work for your Halo 2 Cortana, it's a two parter, here> Purple Eyes. It may look a bit over excessive, but when you take into consideration that you will be wearing a purple suit and purple facial makeup, you will want your eyemakeup to POP. Just look at the wonders it did for me.

P10100332.jpg

And the wig looks PERFECT on you! It never really fit me for some reason, I guess I just have a REALLY big head, lol. Hehe, glad you like the beading so much. :) I am happy to see it went to a good home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks {Cortana! I'll look at more smoky purple makeup tutorials.

Heh, how'd you apply your face paint? Was yours water-based? It looks even and smooth!

Calliopeia said:
Thanks {Cortana! I'll look at more smoky purple makeup tutorials.

Heh, how'd you apply your face paint? Was yours water-based? It looks even and smooth!

No problem, glad I could help out.

It's a moist cake makeup, so yes, it is water-based. The brand I use is Mehron, and I highly recommend them. Here's a link to the one I used.

Paradise Makeup AQ

I would recommend the Purple as seen on this chart below...

paradisecolorchart.jpg

The great thing about this makeup is it goes on just how it looks in the palette, where as cream-based still lets your skin tone show through slightly, which is probably why yours turned out reddish.

I applied mine with my fingers, but they sell brushes, and I've heard the sponges work wonders with getting even coverage without smearing. :)

And I also recommend getting a matte eyeshadow in the same tone, just a few shades darker, to use for applying realistic shadows and whatnot. I hope that makes sense. ^^;

Very nice work so far, the original stuff looks fantastic, so can't wait to see how it all looks with the progress made. Not to mention you're getting advice from one of the best with {Cortana, her outfit at GenCon looked amazing in person. She'll point you in the right direction to make your already fabulous work even better!

@ Ehkru - Thanks! Yep I absolutely love {Cortana's suit. She did some amazing work there.

{Cortana said:
It's a moist cake makeup, so yes, it is water-based. The brand I use is Mehron, and I highly recommend them. Here's a link to the one I used.

Paradise Makeup AQ

I would recommend the Purple as seen on this chart below...

The great thing about this makeup is it goes on just how it looks in the palette, where as cream-based still lets your skin tone show through slightly, which is probably why yours turned out reddish.

I applied mine with my fingers, but they sell brushes, and I've heard the sponges work wonders with getting even coverage without smearing. :)

And I also recommend getting a matte eyeshadow in the same tone, just a few shades darker, to use for applying realistic shadows and whatnot. I hope that makes sense. ^^;

Mehron looks great, but it looks like international shipping is quite pricey. =( I'll look around and see if there's anything I get locally. The cosmetics effects shop had water based ones, but the lady told me to get the cream one because it was more lasting. Maybe I'll go back there and see if they have anything else.

I'm also probably gonna use Coastal Scents makeup to replace all the MAC stuff, because I just can't afford MAC. And CS does have a lot of MAC duplicates that should work fine. Thanks for the link.

Another update

I've hit a snag. Sorta. =( I've just discovered my Halo 2 disc has been missing for some time. So now I have to recreate the patterns on her feet using the only one image I have of it. *sigh* Not impossible, but annoying nonetheless. I'm still trying to see if I can borrow the disc from anyone. Hopefully I will!

I have roughly a week to finish this.

Eeverything looks great so far can't wait to see the new finished product. Maybe a quick re-look at the cinematics on youtube might help with the feet? Wish I could help!

Cheers,

Kensai

Calliopeia said:
@ Ehkru - Thanks! Yep I absolutely love {Cortana's suit. She did some amazing work there.

Mehron looks great, but it looks like international shipping is quite pricey. =( I'll look around and see if there's anything I get locally. The cosmetics effects shop had water based ones, but the lady told me to get the cream one because it was more lasting. Maybe I'll go back there and see if they have anything else.

I'm also probably gonna use Coastal Scents makeup to replace all the MAC stuff, because I just can't afford MAC. And CS does have a lot of MAC duplicates that should work fine. Thanks for the link.

Another update

I've hit a snag. Sorta. =( I've just discovered my Halo 2 disc has been missing for some time. So now I have to recreate the patterns on her feet using the only one image I have of it. *sigh* Not impossible, but annoying nonetheless. I'm still trying to see if I can borrow the disc from anyone. Hopefully I will!

I have roughly a week to finish this.

Oh, ouch. Well, if you can't find a decent replacement, let me know. My boyfriend works for FedEx, therefore gets a huge discount on shipping, including international. I can order the makeup for you, then ship it to you for really cheap, I won't even charge you a handling fee, just pay whatever I paid to have it shipped to me, plus the extra shipping. :)

I didn't buy any of the MAC products either, they are just way too expensive, but that's good that you found a replacement!

Oh noes! I feel your pain. My boyfriend's xBox got the RROD the week before the Halo Wars release, so I had barely any reference shots for the designs. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here's a few good refs for the feet.

Cortana_Standing_by_Zenstrata.gif

Cortana-2.jpg

I really hope that your disc turns up soon.

{Cortana said:
Oh, ouch. Well, if you can't find a decent replacement, let me know. My boyfriend works for FedEx, therefore gets a huge discount on shipping, including international. I can order the makeup for you, then ship it to you for really cheap, I won't even charge you a handling fee, just pay whatever I paid to have it shipped to me, plus the extra shipping. :)

I didn't buy any of the MAC products either, they are just way too expensive, but that's good that you found a replacement!

Oh thank you for the gif! I've never seen that one before. :D And I just checked with a friend and she's lending me her copy of Halo 2 so yay for that too!

i have a few ideas regarding the make-up, but if none of them work out well and I decide to get stuff from Mehron, I'll definitely let you know. *glomps* Thanks so much for the offer. ;)

Have you thought of airbrush makeup? Just a thought but I hear it is not that hard to apply. Looking good so far.

Calliopeia said:
Oh thank you for the gif! I've never seen that one before. :D And I just checked with a friend and she's lending me her copy of Halo 2 so yay for that too!

i have a few ideas regarding the make-up, but if none of them work out well and I decide to get stuff from Mehron, I'll definitely let you know. *glomps* Thanks so much for the offer. ;)

You're most welcome! YAY! It's so nice to have awesome friends like that! :D

Ok, sounds good. Just drop me a line if you need it. ;) *glomps back*

Hey Sue.

It's about time you showed up. :) Remember, Master Chief needs you on the 19th. :)

Lookin forward to more updated pics!

Stay safe,

Tim.

Bamabat said:
Have you thought of airbrush makeup? Just a thought but I hear it is not that hard to apply. Looking good so far.

Wow thanks for the suggestion! I never thought about airbrushing before. I just did a youtube search and it looks pretty easy! Definitely gonna look into airbrushing as a possibility. Thank you! :D

Halo_1 said:
Hey Sue.

It's about time you showed up. :) Remember, Master Chief needs you on the 19th. :)

Lookin forward to more updated pics!

Stay safe,

Tim.

*poke* Silly Chief.

2ND UPDATE​

DSC06505.jpg

I just did a second makeup test today. Instead of purple straight to the face, I used white paint first as a base, then dabbed with a sponge (as opposed to smearing and rubbing the first time) the purple, on top. Dabbing definitely helped even the colour out, and white base helped tone down the red pigments. The photos were taken on my Mac's iSight, so you probably can't tell the difference in colour, but it was there.

After the paint, I used fixing powder all over. Initially I wasn't sure what it was supposed to do; was just told to use it lol. But oh boy, this is *so* useful. It did two things to my face.

1. It acted as a sort of protective layer over the face paint. So if I rubbed my face, scratched my chin, etc., I wouldn't have to worry about anything coming off.

2. It returned the texture of my face to normal, instead of that sticky feeling you get after paint, which allows smooth application of other makeup. Unfortunately I'd already put my eyeshadow on before the powder! Haha messed up the order of that one!​

And because I didn't have any specific purple or blue lip colour, I used black lipstick as a base, then painted over with the same purple paint I used on my face. Couldn't tell, could ya? :D Pretty happy with the way the lips turned out. I couldn't find my eyebrow pencil and mascara, so I just left them out for the time being.

Photo84.jpg

I only painted half my face because I was planning to try a different technique on the other side,

but the first one worked pretty well I decided it was better to stick to that.

Photo82.jpg

Think I could give Two-Face a run for his money? :p

(Next update will have my completed feet!)

I agree it looks much better now. The other try looked kind of like Violet from Willy Wonka after she ate the gum. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back