Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
bald cactus v2 said:
I spy a stormtrooper helmet :whistle:

ditto, but just to let you know therossil i think the ches is a bit to small compared the the helmet, the proportion doesent look right. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
well now I have some questions (must be getting tired of those, eh?)

First off, do you use a hot glue gun for your pepakura, or something else? Because I see no glue imperfections (which are almost impossible to avoid unless you have some crazy custom trigger that can melt very small amounts of glue at a time)

Your work has actually inspired me to continue, it's a good motivator for me to continue working on my own armor, I am currently about 1/3 of the way done with a pepakura model of FS's and it is very difficult to twist and bend my hand to get all the tabs, and even more difficult to avoid putting extra glue, though hopefully all that extra glue will be canceled out by a layer of resin, or will simply be dremeled off after several layers of resin.

Another thing, I recently bought some modeling clay, just in case, and am now trying to decide whether to sink my 200 dollars into molding (only the helmet though with that route) or going your route and using mud+sanding+dremel. What do you personally recemmend? I am very tempted to just buy your helm and be done with it, but I gotta make up for all my trolling and establish myself, as well as prove to myself that I can do this type of stuff on my own, even if it's just a single high quality helmet.

Seriously, your skills can make you some good money making other props.

Ruze789 said:
How long did that beast take you to assemble? I downloaded the file, opened it, took one look and immediately closed it. After putting together one of FS' HD helmets, I really am not looking forward to that detail on a large scale...

I'm not entirely sure how many hours I spent putting this one together, but I'd bet it was somewhere over 60. I know that a few times I ended up with a bit of insomnia and pulled an all-nighter on it. There were at least four of those. If you'd like to save yourself the trouble, I'll be making a mold and offering up a limited run of these things too.

smilie120 said:
ditto, but just to let you know therossil i think the ches is a bit to small compared the the helmet, the proportion doesent look right. Keep up the good work!

I think this may have something to do with perspective. In person I'm pretty happy with the proportions. I'll post better pics when I've got them to show. It's also worth pointing out that I made the helmet one-size-fits-all and I'll be making at least two different sizes of torso armor. More on that as it unfolds.

PillowFire said:
well now I have some questions (must be getting tired of those, eh?)

First off, do you use a hot glue gun for your pepakura, or something else? Because I see no glue imperfections (which are almost impossible to avoid unless you have some crazy custom trigger that can melt very small amounts of glue at a time)

Your work has actually inspired me to continue, it's a good motivator for me to continue working on my own armor, I am currently about 1/3 of the way done with a pepakura model of FS's and it is very difficult to twist and bend my hand to get all the tabs, and even more difficult to avoid putting extra glue, though hopefully all that extra glue will be canceled out by a layer of resin, or will simply be dremeled off after several layers of resin.

Another thing, I recently bought some modeling clay, just in case, and am now trying to decide whether to sink my 200 dollars into molding (only the helmet though with that route) or going your route and using mud+sanding+dremel. What do you personally recemmend?

I use a cyanoacrylate adhesive (i.e. crazy glue or zap-a-gap) to glue all of my seams and reinforce some of the more significant creases. I also use an accelerant to make the glue set up instantaneously instead of waiting for it to cure on its own.

If you're thinking of molding and casting your project, I wish you all the best. At the same time, if you've never done any moldmaking before, you may want to start with something simpler. A full-sized helmet can be the source of some very expensive lessons learned if you make any mistakes along the way.

Of course, you could always just go ahead and buy one from one of my runs...

bald cactus v2 said:
I spy a stormtrooper helmet :whistle:

The trooper helmet is a horribly flawed casting from my first helmet molding project. Essentially it was a modded Don Post Classic Action helmet and it didn't work out very well.

I still have the mold somewhere, but I have no plans to sell those things. I also made the rest of the suit. Here's a couple of shots of that project.

I know the rifle in this one is wrong, but it was the best I could do on short notice.
halloween1022.jpg

And here's a shot of me on Halloween after a long day of not being able to find the droids I was looking for:
halloween1024.jpg

I almost forgot the latest progress pics.

Torso armor with fiberglass resin:

TorsoGlassingResin023.jpg

And another shot of it with the casting resin inside for reinforcement:

TorsoGlassingResin031.jpg

More to come.

wonderful work, who's file are you using for the chest plate?

Also, I don't know why you think the storm trooper helmet looks bad, it looks good to me, and I don't see anything wrong with it (unless it's only noticable in real-life)

jimmyfu said:
by using urethane casting resin for the inside, did you not need to fiberglass? and if so, how much casting resin did you use on the inside...? i'm just trying to determine how much to buy if that's the case

You look extreamly happy under that helmet :cautious:

I love the way this is coming along. How do you keep the edges sharp when your sanding the bondo. Ive never worked with the putty. How hard is it to apply?
Also, just to get things straight...is it the pep, then resin, then body filler?

thorssoli said:
The trooper helmet is a horribly flawed casting from my first helmet molding project. Essentially it was a modded Don Post Classic Action helmet and it didn't work out very well.

I still have the mold somewhere, but I have no plans to sell those things. I also made the rest of the suit. Here's a couple of shots of that project.

I know the rifle in this one is wrong, but it was the best I could do on short notice.
halloween1022.jpg

And here's a shot of me on Halloween after a long day of not being able to find the droids I was looking for:
halloween1024.jpg

Good luck getting 501st approval with that bucket:lol:

Even if he's rejected by the 501st, he'll always be more then welcome here. Am I right? 'course I am

Will you be making the torso a two-piece or keep it as one whole?

PillowFire said:
wonderful work, who's file are you using for the chest plate?

Also, I don't know why you think the storm trooper helmet looks bad, it looks good to me, and I don't see anything wrong with it (unless it's only noticable in real-life)

This is Flying Squirrel's HD Chest armor pep model. The stormtrooper helmet I'm wearing in the pics is the original Don Post Classic Action helmet. There's nothing wrong with it at all. The one in the background in some of the earlier pics is the flawed casting that I made. I was trying to do a fiberglass layup and it didn't work out very well. Because of that, there are serious problems with the gelcoat and big thin spots with no glass mixed into the resin. But enough about that.

xrallyman said:
I love the way this is coming along. How do you keep the edges sharp when your sanding the bondo. Ive never worked with the putty. How hard is it to apply?
Also, just to get things straight...is it the pep, then resin, then body filler?

First the pep, then coat with fiberglass resin to make it rigid. Then cut out the support struts and coat the interior with casting resin to make it stronger. Then bondo to smooth out the curved portions. I use a variety of power tools and body rasps (aka shurforms) to help me shape the bondo after it sets up. The bondo is designed to stick to things, but it's a good idea to sand the surface you're sticking it to in order to aid in adhesion.

Spartan-299 said:
Will you be making the torso a two-piece or keep it as one whole?

I'm planning on splitting it into front and back sections. Otherwise I can't figure out a way to get in and out of it. The neck hole isn't big enough for my head to fit through and I kinda want to keep it that way.

No progress pics to post today and I'll be gone for the weekend. Stay tuned.

ShadyMailman said:
With the one-size-fits-all idea in mind, what scale did you using for the helmet?

If memory serves, the helmet was built to a height of 39.1cm. I'm not certain though. I scaled it before I licensed my copy of Pepakura and I wasn't able to save it.

I did some more work on the pep models for the boots last night. I'll post pics when I've got them.

thorssoli said:
If memory serves, the helmet was built to a height of 39.1cm. I'm not certain though. I scaled it before I licensed my copy of Pepakura and I wasn't able to save it.
Heh, no offense, but if MY memory serves, 32cm in assembled height was what the 7' tall Chief wore. 29.1cm sounds more like it.

All that aside, you're doing awesome work and making progress the way I wish I could...

Nicktendo said:
Heh, no offense, but if MY memory serves, 32cm in assembled height was what the 7' tall Chief wore. 29.1cm sounds more like it.

You're probably right. It's been a while since I did this. If it helps, there are some scale shots with a ruler in my for sale thread in the classifieds. That may give you a better idea.

thorssoli said:
You're probably right. It's been a while since I did this. If it helps, there are some scale shots with a ruler in my for sale thread in the classifieds. That may give you a better idea.

Much appreciated, keep up the badass work! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back