Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUOTE(jimmyfu @ Jan 11 2008, 01:42 AM)
by using urethane casting resin for the inside, did you not need to fiberglass? and if so, how much casting resin did you use on the inside...? i'm just trying to determine how much to buy if that's the case

what brand did you use and what type/kind?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
JediStumpy said:
what brand did you use and what type/kind?

thanks

Up until recently I've been using urethane casting resin from a local outfit called TAP Plastics.

Since then I've been using resin I got from jgreer.com . It's less expensive and it seems to be working out fairly well. I pour the first layer or two with microballoons added in to make it easier to sand. After that I add in milled glassfiber to add strength. This is the same way that I pour the helmet castings and so far they are all pretty tough and reasonably lightweight.

In other news, the boots are coming together:

Bootsinglass001.jpg

The toe and ankle strap are symmetrical for the left and right boots. The only difference (for the hard parts) is in the heel cup, so I had to make a left and right version of those.Now I have to pour a few layers of resin inside and start fairing and smoothing them. I'll be doing some shaping on the chest armor today as well.

I still need money to pay for sticky goo so I can go forward with this project. If you're on the fence about buying one of my helmet castings, now would be a great time to go ahead and pick one up. You can get more details in my classified thread. PM for price and Paypal info.

thorssoli said:
Up until recently I've been using urethane casting resin from a local outfit called TAP Plastics.

Since then I've been using resin I got from jgreer.com . It's less expensive and it seems to be working out fairly well. I pour the first layer or two with microballoons added in to make it easier to sand. After that I add in milled glassfiber to add strength. This is the same way that I pour the helmet castings and so far they are all pretty tough and reasonably lightweight.

In other news, the boots are coming together:

Bootsinglass001.jpg

The toe and ankle strap are symmetrical for the left and right boots. The only difference (for the hard parts) is in the heel cup, so I had to make a left and right version of those.Now I have to pour a few layers of resin inside and start fairing and smoothing them. I'll be doing some shaping on the chest armor today as well.

I still need money to pay for sticky goo so I can go forward with this project. If you're on the fence about buying one of my helmet castings, now would be a great time to go ahead and pick one up. You can get more details in my classified thread. PM for price and Paypal info.

I've really been following your progress.
i'm really interest on your casting resin idea. from what i get you coat the pep in fiberglass resin 1st and then add one or two layer of the urethane casting resin.(no fiberglass at all just some fiber filler maybe in the urethane casting resin?) i looked at the links you put up and your are right: the price for the resins are really good prices. i would say it would cost only about $10-20 more to use you way (per piece...give or take) then fiberglass resin and fiberglass mat/cloth.

i'm just about done making the HD Chest (same one you made) and i think i would like to give the urethane casting resin a try given that the price i think is in my "price range." ( i think i should try it on a small peice first and not on my chest that took forever ti cut, fold, and glue)

keep up the good work!!!

JediStumpy said:
I've really been following your progress.
i'm really interest on your casting resin idea. from what i get you coat the pep in fiberglass resin 1st and then add one or two layer of the urethane casting resin.(no fiberglass at all just some fiber filler maybe in the urethane casting resin?) i looked at the links you put up and your are right: the price for the resins are really good prices. i would say it would cost only about $10-20 more to use you way (per piece...give or take) then fiberglass resin and fiberglass mat/cloth.

In order to make the parts strong enough to hold up to sanding and fairing, I tend to pour the resin in pretty thick. In some places my torso armor was 3/4" thick before I started adding bondo. The final product is fairly heavy and a bit brittle. The resin itself is not really ideal for laminating with paper. It'll work, but the fiberglass method is not a bad way to go.

Yodajammies said:
Is that the halo font I spy in all your work? :p

Yes it is. I forget what thread I found the link in, but if you dig around you'll find it in the forums here.

For today's news, I've started fairing the toe of the boot and the torso armor:
TorsoFairing018.jpg

Here's another shot of the armor with the helmet on top:
TorsoFairing023.jpg

Stay tuned.

oh. my. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

that torso looks SUPERB. i definately will be starting on that this weekend now that i know what it can look like.

Finnish_Spartan said:
LMAO!!!
The helmet looks bigger then the torso... LOL! (no offense)

-Fin(n)ish

That is kinna rude for you to have addressed your question like that, but I am curious to what scale your helmet is?

DoC ByTeS said:
That is kinna rude for you to have addressed your question like that, but I am curious to what scale your helmet is?

thorssoli said:
If memory serves, the helmet was built to a height of 39.1cm. I'm not certain though. I scaled it before I licensed my copy of Pepakura and I wasn't able to save it.

I did some more work on the pep models for the boots last night. I'll post pics when I've got them.

His helmet should fit everyone....

Finnish_Spartan said:
LMAO!!!
The helmet looks bigger then the torso... LOL! (no offense)

-Fin(n)ish
Lets see you do better then you can comment like that.
Well, you still shouldnt comment like that!
Still looking awesome!

It's pictures like these that keep my armor construction desire strong! Absolutely superb, definitely visitng this thread for shots of inspiration! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back