Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keegan said:
Lets see you do better then you can comment like that.
Well, you still shouldnt comment like that!
Still looking awesome!

Ok, I dont mean to be rude either, but finnish that was kind of harsh it looks Awsome! And as far as I remember, you put a litle bit of clay over a legendary helmet, asked how much you would get for it, started more topics than nessescary, and then gave up?

Great work therossil!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick update.

The other night I managed to cut the armor apart and make it wearable. Hacking into it with a saw and a dremel was a bit nerve-wracking, but I managed a fairly clean cut and had a friend snap a couple of pics of the test-fitting. I apologize for the low-res cellphone pics, but it's all we had on hand:

02-20-08_2104.jpg

If anyone would like a copy of the chest armor when I start making pulls, I'm accepting deposits to help pay for moldmaking materials. I will be able to deliver these by the middle of March. I'm 5'8" tall and a lean 160 pounds with a 38" chest, so that should give you some idea of the size. I have shipped a number of helmets already, and anyone who owns one can attest to the quality of my work. PM me for more info.

Here's a closer shot:
02-20-08_2105.jpg

With all of the chatter here about the disproportionate sizes of the helmet and chest armor, I decided to dig back through my files and check. My saved version of the FS helm is set up for a build height of 31.9cm and that seems right. The chest armor had a build height of 42cm. Bear in mind that I was making a one-size helmet and a my-size torso. Since I'm outfitting a group of 8-10 people, I will be making at least one larger size torso armor to fit everyone in my costuming group that is bigger than me. Our largest member is over six feet tall and over 200 pounds, so there's no way he'll fit into my-size armor. Our smallest member is not much smaller than me, so she'll probably fit a pull from the my-size outfit.

Stay tuned.

thorssoli said:
With all of the chatter here about the disproportionate sizes of the helmet and chest armor, I decided to dig back through my files and check. My saved version of the FS helm is set up for a build height of 31.9cm and that seems right. The chest armor had a build height of 42cm. Bear in mind that I was making a one-size helmet and a my-size torso. Since I'm outfitting a group of 8-10 people, I will be making at least one larger size torso armor to fit everyone in my costuming group that is bigger than me. Our largest member is over six feet tall and over 200 pounds, so there's no way he'll fit into my-size armor. Our smallest member is not much smaller than me, so she'll probably fit a pull from the my-size outfit.

Stay tuned.

Sweet glad to hear it, I to have a big friend. I'll be PMing you on a helm at some point. He is 6'5" and right at 300 pounds.
I wanna make him a to-scale spartan.

Good work on this Thorssoli, don't let the proportion stuff get you bothered. You're entirely right about the 'one size fits all' issue, it should be a little larger to accomodate some of the ego's around here :p Just kidding! In all seriousness I went through the same problems with my first build, the helmet was a little larger than it should have been to match the rest of the suit. When I revised the helmet to make it proportional it was a tight fit, so much so that it didn't fit some people. I then had to go back again to make adjustable spacers to fit larger heads..

Now that I'm working on some of the new helmet variants, I'm just making them a bit on the larger side to avoid having to go through all this again. It just goes to show that you can't please everybody, and apparently head sizes vary as much as peoples thumbprints! I still occasional hear from someone who says my bucket is too small for them.

I think you did the right thing in making the helmet a bit bigger to fit as many people as possible. If I went back and redid mine ( ;)) I'd certainly scale it up 5 or 10%.

The work you are doing on all this is phenomenal, keep it up! :not worthy:

It looks great when paired with a fine set of torso armor...

Nice job, it's lookin as awesome as ever, it's a real treat to watch the progress in your thread.

Sean Bradley said:
Good work on this Thorssoli, don't let the proportion stuff get you bothered. You're entirely right about the 'one size fits all' issue, it should be a little larger to accomodate some of the ego's around here :p Just kidding! In all seriousness I went through the same problems with my first build, the helmet was a little larger than it should have been to match the rest of the suit. When I revised the helmet to make it proportional it was a tight fit, so much so that it didn't fit some people. I then had to go back again to make adjustable spacers to fit larger heads..

Now that I'm working on some of the new helmet variants, I'm just making them a bit on the larger side to avoid having to go through all this again. It just goes to show that you can't please everybody, and apparently head sizes vary as much as peoples thumbprints! I still occasional hear from someone who says my bucket is too small for them.

I think you did the right thing in making the helmet a bit bigger to fit as many people as possible. If I went back and redid mine ( ;)) I'd certainly scale it up 5 or 10%.

The work you are doing on all this is phenomenal, keep it up! :not worthy:

(y) I was wondering myself for the purpose on not rebuilding, LOL. I think it's great to think of your group and others, if I wouldn't have been so caught up on my helmets fitting to me......

Btw I can't believe how awesome your torso turned out, and you helmet look like it sets nicely, I can't wait to see it with your other torso builds!

DoC ByTeS said:
Btw I can't believe how awesome your torso turned out, and you helmet look like it sets nicely, I can't wait to see it with your other torso builds!

You may have to wait a bit before you see other sizes of my torso. In addition to working on the size that I've got, I'm currently working on the boots. Rather than just make shoe covers like most costumers do, I'm making actual boots with custom soles and all. When they're finished I'll be able to build them to fit just about any shoe size. More on that later. For now I'm still trying to settle on a design for the soles.

Chronos said:
I like your idea for the boots. How practical do you think they'll be compared to covered boots?

I'm essentially making an actual pair of shoes that will look just like the armor's boots. So while covered boots tend to just be the hard parts attached to a pair of shoes, mine will be actual shoes with all of the hard parts built in. Essentially I'll be building them around a pair of Vans or some other low-cost slip-on shoe.

They will be made with the three hard parts in fiberglass and the soft parts (sole, arch, flexible portion of the upper) in urethane rubber. I'm making the hard parts in two or three different sizes and I'm experimenting with an adjustable mold for the soft parts. I'll post pics when I've got something more to show off.

i'm sorry, but it looks like all your torso is covering is er...your boobies? or is that due to the fact that the file is two pieces, with the abs unattached? (i think. i haven't put together that pep file so i wouldn't know...)

If you don't mind my asking - how tall are you and what do you weigh? It's difficult to gauge based on the pics...

Thanks!

I received one of Thorssoli's helmets the other day, and the detail is fantastic! (y)

It's been great to see peoples' responses to just the raw casting.

Thanks a ton for doing a run!

jimmyfu said:
i'm sorry, but it looks like all your torso is covering is er...your boobies? or is that due to the fact that the file is two pieces, with the abs unattached? (i think. i haven't put together that pep file so i wouldn't know...)

I have not yet made a version of the ab plate that I like. When I start a run of these, the ab plate will be included.

DogWizard said:
If you don't mind my asking - how tall are you and what do you weigh? It's difficult to gauge based on the pics...

Thanks!

thorssoli said:
If anyone would like a copy of the chest armor when I start making pulls, I'm accepting deposits to help pay for moldmaking materials. I will be able to deliver these by the middle of March. I'm 5'8" tall and a lean 160 pounds with a 38" chest, so that should give you some idea of the size. I have shipped a number of helmets already, and anyone who owns one can attest to the quality of my work. PM me for more info.

It's also worth pointing out that the smallest t-shirt I can wear without looking ridiculous is a medium. A large is about right usually and the medium fits like a second skin. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yesterday, after another day of sanding and filling and sanding and filling, I decided to go ahead and shoot my first coat of primer on the torso and boots to see how they look. Since some portions of the armor soaked up more primer than others, the finish is wildly uneven. Still, having it all one color is helpful for pointing out flaws that are harder to pick up when there's more going on.

The chest came out okay, but there are still quite a few trouble spots I need to get dialed in a bit better and some details to add. The biggest problem is that I still need to square up the pecs some more and straighten out some of the detail lines:
DSCN3737.jpg

I'm a little bit happier with the back. There are a few minor symmetry issues to sort out and I need to sharpen a lot of the edges:
DSCN3736.jpg

This is the first of two or three sizes of boot I will be making (this is the smallest one and is mostly a rough draft). I'm happy with the overall shape, but it won't look right on anything but the smallest feet. For now, I still need to do some more detailing:
DSCN3733.jpg

It was cold, wet, and miserable outside and as a result it was cold and miserable inside. The temperature ended up slowing the cure time for the bondo and eventually I decided I'd had enough of freezing my butt off dressed like this:
02-23-08_1532.jpg

I'll be out of the shop for a week's worth of training, but I've brought some printed Pepakura parts to fold and assemble while I'm sitting around in the hotel, so there will at least be some sort of progress.

When I do get back to my shop, I will be laying into the chest armor as quickly as possible. I'm going to be finishing up the shaping and detailing on Monday the 3rd. At worst, that may extend into Tuesday the 4th. By Wednesday the 5th I will be laying up the mold and I fully expect to be pulling castings by Friday the 7th of March. I still don't have quite enough cash lined up to pay for moldmaking materials, so if you're interested in a copy of my armor I'm taking deposits to help cover costs. The price for folks who help out with the mold will be cheaper than if you wait for a later run. PM me for more info.

Stay tuned.

SNIPER 118 said:
whos boot?

The boot was based on the Robogenesis pep model. In particular this was his 3-piece HD boot.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question.

Did you fiberglass the torso in one piece and then cut it apart, or did you cut it apart before you fiberglassed it?

gamerguy55 said:
Did you fiberglass the torso in one piece and then cut it apart, or did you cut it apart before you fiberglassed it?
good question , i think he does it in one piece but i will like to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back