Thorssoli's MkVI Costume Buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helmet redux is DONE:
6837963590_1da63cf0c5_b.jpg

If you're just tuning in, the visors were vacformed in 1/16" PETG, then dyed orange and sprayed with the same mirrachrome paint I used on the old versions. Here's a side shot of my Agent Washington helmet to show off the shape:
6837963434_04b3ec7253_b.jpg

In my rush to get this one together I installed it with the center a little too low, but you get the idea.

Here's a comparison shot against one of my "version 1" helmets:
6984085473_d9cdde60b9_b.jpg

At left, "old and busted." At right, "new hotness."
6984085387_ccf5920c6a_b.jpg

Now I just need to put together enough cash to re-mold the medium torso and crank out another five suits. Then I think I'll finally be able to call this project finished.

Thoughts?

Nice MIB II reference, looking good my friend you never cease to amaze:D
One question, where do you get the mirrachrome paint and is it expensive? looks phenomonal on visors!

That was brilliant Thor. Gunna have to steal that one. I often wonder after saying it so often how to continue to do it politely.

First and Foremost:
The helmet looks great. The new details really do shine and the final visor is the best MKVI I've seen.

Second: I am going to have to start using that web address in my calsses. That is hands down one of the best answers to the "how do I find...." question.

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard the first time I stumbled across that link and I've been using it a lot ever since. To be fair, there's often a bit of an art to finding what you're after on the web in the midst of the millions of things that show up when you do a search. That said, it's usually not that difficult.

Thanks for the compliments regarding the MkVI. I'm pretty tickled with it.

Forgive me if im sounding stupid..but isn't mirrachrome a spray on chrome? as in not a spray on tint? how are you able to see out of said sprayed over visor?

^^ What he said. It's also a very delicate finish, so if you overdo it, you can buff it with a soft cloth and rub much of it off.

Still, I'm in the early research stages of building my own vacuum metalizing rig so I can actually coat plastic parts with a microscopically thin layer of vaporized aluminum.

I dusted off the EVA Helmet the other day and I've been making slow progress ever since:
6993253386_ff12372826_o.jpg

I gave it a gloss coat last night, but it's got a ways to go:
7141353683_b1de200bcb_o.jpg

Today I'll be sharpening up some of the seam lines:
7141353679_4616a5edb5_o.jpg

In other news, I pulled the medium chest prototype out of storage and I'm mostly finished with tuning up all of the details I didn't like from the original build:
7141353643_895d818dff_o.jpg

I should be making molds for both of them over the weekend.

Still looking awesome, Thorssoli!
Love the new visor and updates to the Mk VI.
And can't wait to see your EVA!

I keep forgetting to post that I've finished the molds for the new medium-sized torso. Here I am wearing one of the raw casts:
7456045834_7382946884_b.jpg

In this shot you can see the molds on the bench behind me:
7456045476_6f53219fbe_b.jpg

They were basically done the same way as the large torso molds, only I used fiberglass to make the mothermolds instead of the heavier mothermold material that I used last time.

EDIT: I just got a PM asking me about the scale of the new medium torso. I don't remember the build height off the top of my head (this particular piece was from a pep model I assembled in early 2008) but it was on the pictures of the pep model somewhere in the first ten pages of this thread.

That said, the new medium torso is the same size as the old medium torso. It will fit about the same size as a medium t-shirt. The only changes are a few of the small detail parts, the inner mold for controlled thickness (and greater strength) and the addition of about 1-1/4" of length to the struts that pass along the ribs under the arms so there's more room for the ab plate, the undersuit, and my massive girth.

There you have it.

I just read through the latest few entries in your blog. Those matching pink helmets are probably the cutest things I have seen in a long time. And my cat had kittens a few months back. I have to say that I was a bit thrown off when you described the colour as pink instead of light red or prototype colour. Love the updates, and I can't wait to find out what this secret project is that you are working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back