Torsoboy "we Are Odst" Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEESUZ!!! GEESUZ helped you didn't he! ITS TOO AWESOME TO BE SEEN!! This was my reaction
Bang.gif

Very nice work. I like how you modified the helm. The mold pulls looks awesome as well, very clean. Cant wait to see this suit done. Keep up the great work

Sorry to contribute to the necro of this thread, but I was looking for it a while ago, and I'm really glad it's come up again... BOOKMARKED!! I had remembered seeing a mold with a whole bunch of little registration keys set into the parting flange seam of the silicone and, I was trying to figure out how it was done, but I couldn't find the thread. Looks like you used a clay wall with the keys dug out, which is great for aligning the silicone, but how did you keep the two halves of the silicone from bonding to each other?

Interesting idea of making the silicone mold and the mother mold into a single piece. Not sure how it would work for other designs with deeper details and more undercuts, but it seems to have worked out pretty well for the ODST.

after seeing your amazing work on that recon helmet I am going to make one after I finish my current build. Amazing work on making that helmet. you are crazy skilled at moulding. That odst helmet is crazy

where i am i couldnt track down any card stock in a decent form for printer, so i had to print on paper cut and then past to cardstock which sucks!

nice work, how did you lean to do this kinda stuff? i've always been into make metal armor but the stuff you guys are doing is sweet

Wow, I come back to see if I had made a new thread about a UNSC pin I'm making (I couldn't remember if I started one yet), and I find out that this thread had been dug up from the grave. lol. I don't check my own threads that often here, and only scan through the top-level forum once a day now-a-days, so it's no wonder I missed all these questions. I'm just going to hit on a few of the major questions:

How did I carve the details?
I went to school for traditional printmaking, and I ended up having a bunch of wood engraving tools. Not "wood working tools," mind you, these are for making super detailed relief prints. I did some testing one day on some scrap bondo that had a flat surface, and found that these tools work perfectly on bondo, so that's what I've been using to carve my details. However, I cannot teach you over the internet how to use these tools. You'd need first-hand experience in learning to use them. Sorry I couldn't help much more than that. Read up on wood engraving and metal engraving if you're interested in using these tools. Or spend 4 years at a fine arts school learning printmaking, ya slackers! :p

How did I do the mold seam?
As you saw, I used a clay wall to create the vertical surface that would become the mold seam. To create the divots, I pressed the back end of a sharpie marker into it. These registration keys aren't for keeping the halves together, though - that's what the screws are for! - rather, the registration keys keep the mold halves from rotating on each other. That's why I used a ton of keys, so there is only ONE WAY the mold halves will fit together. In order to prevent the second half of the mold from sticking to the first half (this goes for the rubber and the fiberglass parts), I brushed on a layer of petroleum jelly. When it's rubber touching rubber, I don't trust any other release agent. When you do this, you have to be very careful not to get it on the model itself (or that detail will be captured in your rubber!), and you have to be careful to get it on all the little registration keys. I used a small model painting paint brush to coat the rubber that's next to the model, and then I just went at it with my fingers for the rest. I even coated the back side of the mother mold's seam edge in case any fiberglass resin decided to drip down and try to seal it up.

Am I selling castings?
I don't get the whole idea of posting your email address and expecting me to see it and email you. I've only ever seen this happen on the 405th. On every other prop forum on the internet, the interested buyers contact the seller, so that's how I prefer to answer these kinds of questions. If you are interested in a helmet, please email me at davre.gamob@gmail.com and I'll try to help you out.

Wow, your ODST helmet is awesome!!!!! you got so much detail! Ill have to research wood engraving tools... Great job!!

I'm not sure how long the Elite Section is sticking around for, there may be plans to do away with it or change it up...
But until it's gone I'm moving this project into Elite.

Love this helmet! And I love the WIP photos you provided, a very good insight into how much work went into it and the steps involved including the molding.

I love that helmet cast I got from you a while back, although I've been to busy to actually finish it. It's so smooth, so I have to do very little to clean it up! I'm going to get Flyerfye to attach the visor for me while the government steals me away...

What type of undersuit did you use? I was thinkin of something like that for my Gears of War 3 build. I was also going to do a desert camo ODST "when all else is done"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back