vshore100's CQB build (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is looking amazing, I'm seriously digging that neck seal, that looks so beast. I've never been a fan of the CQB helmet, but i really like how yours came out.

BTW on your helmet where the black peeled, if you take some very fine sandpaper or scotch pads, you can sand the silver and it should keep that from happening again. spray paints like a sanded surface that is well cured

this is looking amazing, I'm seriously digging that neck seal, that looks so beast. I've never been a fan of the CQB helmet, but i really like how yours came out.

BTW on your helmet where the black peeled, if you take some very fine sandpaper or scotch pads, you can sand the silver and it should keep that from happening again. spray paints like a sanded surface that is well cured
Thanks for the comments and info. I've thought about messing with it later, but for now I'm good with the way it is. :)

Don't know if you thought of this, but did you consider putting some wire-mesh over the fan in your helmet (interior) in case of hair becoming caught in the blade? Besides that a seriously amazing build man, just read thru all 43 pages, you are a master :D

Don't know if you thought of this, but did you consider putting some wire-mesh over the fan in your helmet (interior) in case of hair becoming caught in the blade? Besides that a seriously amazing build man, just read thru all 43 pages, you are a master :D
First off, thanks for the great comments, they are much appreciated. As far as the hair goes, there's not much up there to get caught in a fan. I keep it cut really short. Thanks for looking out for my well being though. :D

First off, thanks for the great comments, they are much appreciated. As far as the hair goes, there's not much up there to get caught in a fan. I keep it cut really short. Thanks for looking out for my well being though. :D

lol i might have to try Psquiddys' idea lol. My hair is long.

Hey V, how ya been man? work keeping ya busy as usual huh? Just checkin up on ya :p

Hey V, how ya been man? work keeping ya busy as usual huh? Just checkin up on ya :p
I'm good man, hope you're doing good too. Work had been kicking my butt lately, plus a ton of stuff to do at home as well. I may actually be able to start work on my foam thighs next week. We'll see. Thanks for checking up on me. :D

vshore100,
Dude, how many builds have you completed? Your work is great! I've only been at it for 3months, so I know I have a long way to go.....but damn bud, you set the bar friggin high! GJ!!

vshore100,
Dude, how many builds have you completed? Your work is great! I've only been at it for 3months, so I know I have a long way to go.....but damn bud, you set the bar friggin high! GJ!!

Uuhhhmmmm.....none! Lol, this will be my first completed build. I started an Iron Man Mk.III years ago but it was never finished. A bunch of the pep work got damaged so I decided to start on the CQB instead. I really appreciate your comment though. They mean a lot. I have started on foam thighs but there isn't much to post atm. Gonna try and mess with it some more today...we'll see! :D

Can't wait to see an update on this awesome suit. You'll be glad to know the tutorials are coming next week. I have jobs around the house to do for the wife so will be maybe Monday or Tuesday :)

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Can't wait to see an update on this awesome suit. You'll be glad to know the tutorials are coming next week. I have jobs around the house to do for the wife so will be maybe Monday or Tuesday :)

Keep up the good work,
Tom.
Thanks Tom, that means a lot coming from you. I really look forward to seeing your tutorials as well. I hope they will help me with building my thighs. :D

AWW man i got all excited when i saw you had posted i thought it was an update lol. Dang
but still nice to know your alive lol :)

AWW man i got all excited when i saw you had posted i thought it was an update lol. Dang
but still nice to know your alive lol :)

Sorry to disappoint M. I think I might be getting a heat gun for my b-day on Sunday so I should be able to start messing with the thighs more and actually have something to show for an update. :D

Hi i wanted to ask you when are you doing commissions back again because i want to ask you when your back can you build me carters full amor and how much will you charge for it and thanks:)

Hi i wanted to ask you when are you doing commissions back again because i want to ask you when your back can you build me carters full amor and how much will you charge for it and thanks:)

I am not going to be doing any commission work for quite some time Malak. Even then, I won't be doing full suit peps. They are too time consuming and would run you quite a bit of money. Also, please don't take this as being rude, but this should have been sent through a pm as it had nothing to do with my build. Thanks for your interest though, I really do appreciate it.:D

Ok you bunch of ninjas and legends...I finally have somewhat of an update to show you. How has everyone been? Hopefully good. It's not a super huge update per say, but in a way I guess it is. Any way you'll see. Let's get started...

Ok, you guys may or may not remember a while back when I added the foam detail pieces to the sides and back of my helmet. For those who don't let me refresh your memory...
Photo0401.jpg

Photo0400.jpg

Well, after talking with hyper and blackula about a few things, it was time to change it up. So with that being said, I went digging around the shop and found an old face shield that so graciously donated itself to the cause. I then reprinted the templates for the details, traced them on, and this is what we had...
2012-07-16_12-11-13_764.jpg

Then I proceeded to cut them out with a dremel mated with a flex shaft and a very steady hand...
2012-07-16_14-59-59_31.jpg

I used a heat gun to get them flattened out some, to curve others, and then super glued them to the helmet. After that I used spot putty to fill in gaps to make it all seamless. There are pieces missing on the back of the helmet in this pic but you'll see those just ahead...
2012-07-18_12-07-00_577.jpg

2012-07-18_12-07-13_382.jpg

Here you can see I am filling in tiny gaps around the edges of the details just to finish it off.
2012-07-26_09-22-52_660.jpg

2012-07-26_09-22-34_566.jpg

I made a tool out of a popsicle stick that helped tremendously with this...
2012-07-26_09-23-19_604.jpg

After a ton of sanding, filling, redoing areas I wasn't happy with, mainly the vents on top, blah blah blah, this thing is a smooth as I can get it. So I shot it with a coat 2 coats of gloss burgundy paint.
2012-08-20_14-20-24_483.jpg

2012-08-20_14-19-43_524.jpg

Before you ask, "I thought your suit was white how come this or that"... I changed the color for a very specific reason. You ready?!....... It is going to be shipped out to mah great friend Tony, aka BLACKULA727 to be molded!!! I'm so friggin' excited. So there's what I have been messing around with off and on for about a month now, The rest of the time has just been mostly work and life. I do have another update of something else but I'll get that posted a little later, maybe tomorrow. So until then my friends, please let me know what you think. I'm sorry I haven't posted something useful in quite some time, hopefully I can make it up here in the near future! :D

At first I was wondering why you were replacing the foam detail since it looked great as it was. But when I read that you are sending it to be molded and cast, I realized why, since foam does not stand up well to molding.

Looking great as always Vshore! Can't wait to see more.

Oh man I was just kidding when I said you can't mold the helmet with foam details and now you went through all the trouble to make the details out of a old visor and then paint your helmet all pretty like, lol, Im just messing with you, if you molded it with foam details then the castings would have come out with foam looking details, you did a really great job can't wait to see the castings and now you can come out of your Ninja status now that you got something to show LoL

I've actually seen someone try to mold a helmet with foam details, with disastorous results. So, better safe than sorry.

I've actually seen someone try to mold a helmet with foam details, with disastorous results. So, better safe than sorry.

I agree I left a foam part that was at the bottom of my EOD helmet when I molded it because I was to lazy to remove it and every cast that comes out of the mold you can tell it was foam, its not bad looking but I wish it didn't have the foam look in that area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back