War Machine Foam Build- WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea for experimenting!

Here's two ideas for you to try out as well:
1, make sure your gaps are sealed and there's no excess glue and then use a decent plastic coat primer before spraying with metallic paint.
Or
2, you can use RD65 I think it is to properly plastic coat the foam. This process will set the piece of hard as its causing the foam to soak up plastic and the benefits are more endurable armour that when painted looks just like the real thing.

2 is a long process though. You need to build up about 6 layers of PVA then another couple of the RD65, it's also a bit expensive. But the end result is brilliant.
Go to YouTube and check out Xrobots there's a video of his showing how you do this.

Good luck buddy :)

That is actually the idea behind it, the problem is:

1) It's expensive.

2) It's REALLY expensive. $90~ upwards for 1 gallon.

So experimentation is hopes in finding a more cost effective solution. *fingers crossed*

Now I'm having a suit identity crisis:

iron-man-3.jpg

I'm seeing a USAF logo on the left forearm of the "Iron Patriot" armor, and since Sony holds the rights to Norman Osborn, does this mean Iron Patriot = War Machine?

It's very possible that they decided to "screw the comics," and decided to rename War Machine "Iron Patriot?"

Thank god the trailer's coming out on the 23rd.

i wouldnt doubt if they did. the movie industry is screwing with everything we love and know.

I don't see anything wrong with that. The movie industry is just changing things when it is relevant. Can you imagine Bumblebee transforming into a Volkswagen? War Machine name sounds just like it, for war. Iron Patriot is more relevant to today's environment, rallying the troops to defend our country against terrorism.

Gosh damnit, Iron Patriot IS War Machine:

Iron-Patriot.jpg

It says Lt.Col James Rhodes on it.

I love the paint scheme. I may have missed this event somewhere. Is this Iron Man 3 upcoming movie?

I don't see anything wrong with that. The movie industry is just changing things when it is relevant. Can you imagine Bumblebee transforming into a Volkswagen? War Machine name sounds just like it, for war. Iron Patriot is more relevant to today's environment, rallying the troops to defend our country against terrorism.

I love the paint scheme. I may have missed this event somewhere. Is this Iron Man 3 upcoming movie?

Yes, it is from Iron Man 3.

And actually... sadly, onmi shift is right.

Those familiar with the comics will know that Iron Patriot was actually a villain... And the "patriotic" colors were meant to decieve the public that he's one of the good guys.

It's just an attempt made by the producers to squeeze out a few dollars, by looking "unique," and "original."

On the topic of iron patriot, I can understand people's confusion. In the comic Iron Patriot is Normon Osborn, operating a suit that's significantly inferior to Tony's at the time and really only there for show and to prevent the depowered and again osborn from getting pulverized in the massive battle royale that ensues.

I personally think that Tony's new gold armor looks better than the tweak of the MK2 suit...the curving along the pecks makes it look like it has breasts IMO :p

Lol you are so right Cpt.Califlour. I hadn't noticed that until I just saw the front shot of the patriot.
I must admit although the MK VIII or Mark 42/47 (as there is much debate about which it really is) looks absolutely beautiful, the chest looks a bit tank top like. I want to rekindle my 3D modelling skills just to animate him prancing about like a fairy :p

looking good man, one day I hope to build my ironman armor im looking at this foam build i think i know what ill make it out of. keep up the good work going to keep checking in

Thanks guys :D

Now for an update.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the "inner thighs"
12111.jpg

So I made a protobuild out of regular paper first:
IMAG0229.jpg

135.jpg

I plan on making the actual inner thigh out of thin craft foam, plasti-dipped, and elevated with suspenders.
IMAG0231.jpg

Since craft foam is unfortunately very rippable, even after plasti-dipping, I probably need to reinforce the interior, with Duct tape perhaps.

Ergh.

Due to those wonderful strands and clumps of hot glue left over (even after "cleaning up" with my hot glue gun the best I can), my plasti-dipping process now consists of this:

1 layer plasti-dip
1 Obscene amount of cheapo Krylon paint
1 layer of plasti-dip

This is seeming to level out the layers a bit, but does anyone have other ideas of how I can go about plasti-dipping?

/rant

So those little aerosol plasti-dip cans are a huge rip-off.

I bought 1 can (thank god, I only got ONE), and guess what?

Whilst I was spraying 1 thigh, I was already halfway out. And here's the kicker; It's only half-coated. I can still see the foam.

So halfway out of plasti-dip already, I finish the thigh, and now I'm out. So 1 can of aerosol Plasti-dip Will only get you 1 coat.

Meanwhile, I was able to get multiple coats on various pieces with the liquid plasti-dip.

Lesson of the day kids, DO NOT get the aerosol Plast-dip, you're going to be better off getting the liquid version of it.

Also well worth mentioning that the aerosol cans cost $7.49 at my local hardware, and they have the liquid version for $8.49~, that extra dollar will get you a LONG way.

your right, the aerosol is a waste of money. I've only ever used the potted plasti dip which is quite a lot thicker so one coat is all you need and i've done my entire halo suit and still have enough to do most of my ironman suit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back