War Machine Foam Build- WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
your right, the aerosol is a waste of money. I've only ever used the potted plasti dip which is quite a lot thicker so one coat is all you need and i've done my entire halo suit and still have enough to do most of my ironman suit!

This is VERY reassuring.

I thought I was going insane for a minute XD

Yeah Mikes right. I bought a 2.5 litre tin and it's still going after a year.

Heya bro! Great looking build!! I cant wait to see the whole thing finished. I know exactly what you mean about the plastidip spray. I bought 2 cans and it took just about both of them to properly coat the chest of my reach armor. I thought it was just the nature of the beast but the information you guys provided about the liquid form will save me alot of money. Thanks for the info! Im subscribing to this thread for sure.

Hey guys, so something EXTREMELY interesting happened.

I first applied about 3 coats of half-and-half diluted PVA glue onto my EVA foam, which allowed it to soak into the foam.

Then I applied fiberglass resin (took 2 days to cure). No cloth, just pure resin.

Now I have this shiny coat of resin that has bonded to the foam, and flexes to it. Without cracking, at all. Painting on it seems to be just fine. Funny, because my original intent was to put Resin on the non-flex pieces, but it looks like this method MIGHT actually replace plasti-dip in my process.

Is this supposed to happen?

1 quart of Resin runs at $20

Plasti dip is $10 for a pint. (USD here)

I'm actually starting to see some VERY tiny cracks if I flex it TOO far, but it should be perfectly fine for low flex regions like the biceps, forearms, chest, etc. I'm planning on reinforcing the interior with FB cloth and cardboard anyways for those, so theyll be stiff :p

You're welcome to try it yourself and see what results happen, I'll keep yall updated once I apply a few more layers of resin.

Update time!!!

First, let me get some wonderful vocabulary out of the way.

%&*$(@$! @$^@! #&*%$!

So even after pasting obscene layers of PVA onto foam, the composite still fails, and the cured resin cracks, when you press down on it.

So, rather than waste good foam, I've put on an obscene layer of scotch and masking tape onto the build, and will resin that over. Stay tuned.

*theoretically, it should work, I've found that 3M resin actually bonds to tape quite nicely.

Have you thought of/seen this plastic coating foam? Smooth on is a much better option as it is flexible being a plastic rather than a solid and brittle cure like resin.

Tom.

Grrrr! I keep forgetting that Xrobots is a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

Grrrr! I keep forgetting that Xrobots is a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

You got it. :p

On the other hand, the composite seems to be working nicely. More updates when it fully cures.

Looks like I found a use for all that scrap cardstock templates.

Take a guess at where I am gais?

IMAG0335_zpscb77ce39.jpg

Looking pretty BA dude! Are all those lighter marks from sanding? More pics please!

That's actually the second coat of paint still drying :p

I'm currently applying 3rd coat, strapping everything together. Hopefully, I will have pics of the entire finished product sometime in the VERY near future.

So everyone here's familiar with the concept of Murphy's law?

-Original chest piece cracked + Fubar'd BAD.
-Down to last 3 pieces of foam mat
-Down to last 2 sticks of hot glue
-Ikkicon is 4 days away.

So I have to get this thing (Entirely new back + front piece) assembled AND plastidipped by the end of today!

IMAG0340_zps0c58ff2d.jpg

There's no room for error... literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back