WHS Red vs. Blue build (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always heard people say this and I thought for a long time they were talking about the magazine and I was like "Why is everyone only talking about the magazine, there is only a small part shown in the picture!" I just realized mag was short for magnum, wow.

Anyways great work on the sliced M6, looks really nice, I don't see any imperfections at all.

LOL hey man no worries your not the only one trust me *points to self* i did the same thing at first lol. The first time i saw WIP i thought they meant an actual whip lol.

Starvin, your build is looking awesome. I like the M6, i wasnt sure how well the sliced one would look, and i like it a lot.

I've always heard people say this and I thought for a long time they were talking about the magazine and I was like "Why is everyone only talking about the magazine, there is only a small part shown in the picture!" I just realized mag was short for magnum, wow.

Anyways great work on the sliced M6, looks really nice, I don't see any imperfections at all.

Don't get yourself down, at least you realized that the correct term was magazine and not clip. Just try having that conversation with a former seal when you're about 13. Yep, the older I get the more I realize how dumb I was as a kid. :) And you don't see imperfections for two reasons: one, the flash on the camera washed out the image a bit. And two, well, lets just say its easier to see when you spent the last two days staring at the same project. LOL

Thanks for the compliments Darkrider.

@Thorn: Thanks man, it means a lot to peek the interest of all the veteran builders here on the site. Lets the guys and I know we are doing something right.

@Mstruvmgc: The sliced weapons really are the way to go. It is a lot easier than worrying about hardening the pepakura weapons. With a little bondo and sanding this thing will be great. The only thing you want to be careful with is lining up the edges as much as possible. Mine has a slight curve to it because I let one or two slices shift a little.

@Mstruvmgc: The sliced weapons really are the way to go. It is a lot easier than worrying about hardening the pepakura weapons. With a little bondo and sanding this thing will be great. The only thing you want to be careful with is lining up the edges as much as possible. Mine has a slight curve to it because I let one or two slices shift a little.

Sweet. ill be looking into that tonight when i wake up for work lol.
OK quick silly question on bondoing the outside of the helm cause i cant find it in the threads. When bondoing the outside do you just use the bondo or add some hardener to it?? Thanks a lot. :)

Thanks Jaeson, but ease up on the other art teachers. They may not always get it right but I know their intentions are good.

i would agree that the intentions of most are good, some great even, my aunt has been teaching art for twenty years and was the reason i originally went for Graphic Design, junior/senior mentor was awesome too; but you have no idea how terrible my experiences with one particular gem were back in the day. i won a local comp for colored pencil and she stole it, and five other pieces that placed. the system didnt catch up with her for a couple years and she was eventually let go. In my experience your methods are truely epic, and should i come across any progressive teaching awards we will be submitting your project on behalf of the swampdogs :)

Sitrep: QRF status idle; spectre is grounded. this is the first year in five there have been no human casualties in our group. our team's bomb dog is DL from an injury during PreOp, but his recovery has been acceptable. (please read Project Anubis for more info on that.) Most days are spent testing equipment and waiting impatiently for the next installment of RVB season 9 (Freelancers FTW!!) I have begun designing halloween costumes for my kids thanks to the 405th so that is fun :) Neway, its back to UAV circuitry for me, keep up the great work!!

Sweet. ill be looking into that tonight when i wake up for work lol.
OK quick silly question on bondoing the outside of the helm cause i cant find it in the threads. When bondoing the outside do you just use the bondo or add some hardener to it?? Thanks a lot. :)

You always have to add hardener when working with bondo. It is a two part product so without the hardener you would end up with wet paste on the outside that never sets. But if you mean did I add resin then no, just the bondo with red paste hardener.

i would agree that the intentions of most are good, some great even, my aunt has been teaching art for twenty years and was the reason i originally went for Graphic Design, junior/senior mentor was awesome too; but you have no idea how terrible my experiences with one particular gem were back in the day. i won a local comp for colored pencil and she stole it, and five other pieces that placed. the system didnt catch up with her for a couple years and she was eventually let go. In my experience your methods are truely epic, and should i come across any progressive teaching awards we will be submitting your project on behalf of the swampdogs :)

Sitrep: QRF status idle; spectre is grounded. this is the first year in five there have been no human casualties in our group. our team's bomb dog is DL from an injury during PreOp, but his recovery has been acceptable. (please read Project Anubis for more info on that.) Most days are spent testing equipment and waiting impatiently for the next installment of RVB season 9 (Freelancers FTW!!) I have begun designing halloween costumes for my kids thanks to the 405th so that is fun :) Neway, its back to UAV circuitry for me, keep up the great work!!

I had a similar experience in college with a REALLY bad professor. One of those who only taught because he couldn't make it as a professional artist alone. I swear he really hated students. Never could figure out how you end up teaching if you hate students. Oh well for every crappy one there are a hundred good ones and dozen great ones. So it evens out. :)

Just took a look at that helmet a few pages back, and now I need my jaw wired back on. Truly impressive work. The fact that this is also a HS project is awesome. I wish there were more teachers like you in this world, Sir.

You always have to add hardener when working with bondo. It is a two part product so without the hardener you would end up with wet paste on the outside that never sets. But if you mean did I add resin then no, just the bondo with red paste hardener.

Okie dokie. Thanks very much. :-D I will start bondoing and sanding this weekend.

Don't get yourself down, at least you realized that the correct term was magazine and not clip. Just try having that conversation with a former seal when you're about 13.

Yeah, I don't know why but whenever someone boasts about their gun knowledge and then starts going on about "clips" I rage really hard. It seems to be one of the few things that irks me.

For those who don't get it:
ClipMagazineLesson.jpg

Yeah, I don't know why but whenever someone boasts about their gun knowledge and then starts going on about "clips" I rage really hard. It seems to be one of the few things that irks me.

For those who don't get it:
ClipMagazineLesson.jpg

Thumbs up. That is as easy as it gets.

Hey starvin, where did you get the file for the sliced M6, and what did you trace out all the pieces onto a different material?? i cant find it :-( Ty

oh and any updates comming? I love to see em

Hey starvin, where did you get the file for the sliced M6, and what did you trace out all the pieces onto a different material?? i cant find it :-( Ty

oh and any updates comming? I love to see em

The Sliced M6 files were from CarpathiaVH99. His thread is over here and he talks about the material he had in mind when creating the model. It is 1/16" mattboard. It can be found at any craft store that does framing.

And as for updates. Nothing too exciting but here ya go:

Just got back in to the school today and got a little work done. Didn't have all my helpers today so nothing too major, just a lot of bondo applied to several pieces.
Bondo016.jpg

Bondo019.jpg

Bondo018-1.jpg

Bondo020.jpg

Resined the chest piece too.
Resin005.jpg

Resin006.jpg

And sanded the front of one boot toe. There are some thin spots so I'll apply a second layer of Rondo on the inside to patch up.
Bondo017.jpg

And, there was a slight "mishap" with the helmet. :) I had to do repair job on a couple of cracks. But I was able to use that to fix the warping issue I brought up earlier. I was able to brace the chin outward and fill the gap with bondo. Now the bottom of the chin is level. So no harm no foul.
Bondo014.jpg

Bondo021.jpg

Bondo015-1.jpg

Hey thanks Starvin. :-D and btw any update is an exciting update man. At least i think so :) The bondoing looks good on the pieces, i think i will start using my hands to bondo my helmet to fix it lol. Right now it looks like it got radiation burned or something lol.

Hey thanks Starvin. :-D and btw any update is an exciting update man. At least i think so :) The bondoing looks good on the pieces, i think i will start using my hands to bondo my helmet to fix it lol. Right now it looks like it got radiation burned or something lol.

Thanks man. Yeah I was using a spreader for a short time, but i just have more success with hands. It does lead to a little extra sanding now and then but in the long run I waste a lot less material because of hardening in the cup.

That's a whole lot of bondo work going on there for just a " a little work done". Well turn on the sanders (both hand and mech.)and let the dust fly. And May I add at this rate you'll be on the detail stage in no time. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

That's a whole lot of bondo work going on there for just a " a little work done". Well turn on the sanders (both hand and mech.)and let the dust fly. And May I add at this rate you'll be on the detail stage in no time. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

I've been surprised by the speed myself. I'm hoping we'll have a layer of bondo on all the pieces tomorrow. Its easier for us to work in stages rather than on a single piece. We are still gathering funds for the paint but we have plenty of other work to do before then. We'll be back in the room tomorrow working so I'll have some more updates then.

You sure can polish a boot.

Do you use an electric sander?

Thanks Mac, we do use an electric sander but only for the early work. Most of the work is done by hand. You get better control that way.

Small update for today:

Put rondo inside about half of the chest piece. I'm using the bondoglass/resin mix that I've come to love. That is why the color is green. This thing is gonna be rock solid when it's done. A bit heavier than I would prefer but its a small price to pay for good strength.
Rondo.jpg

Bondo'd several pieces including added layers on a few pieces from Wednesday.
Bondo023.jpg

There are a few spots on the thighs that I've found are off in the original pepakura model. In all the reference pictures the thigh is basically round except for the details and inner thighs. But on the pepakura model there are valley folds that create concave areas that should be convex. So long story short I had to fill low spots, thus the large amounts of bondo in certain areas.
Bondo024.jpg

So the building is closed until Monday so no work until then. But next week we'll work mostly on sanding down what has been bondo'd. I need to see the planes sanded out and primed before I know what other bondo work needs doing.

That's all for today, hope you enjoy.

Edit: Just got word from Caboose that he started his MKV helmet. I'll get some pictures of his work up as soon as I can.

That is A very impressive amount of Bondo going on there. If it was only 1 person working this I would say a overwhelming amount and to take it a little at a time. But with you're talented crew helping you it should get knocked out in no time. You're build is coming along great and At this rate you should be finished in no time. ( Ya I'm a little Jealous But I'm getting there.) At any rate, I enjoy watching you're build so keep us posted. :D

I agree with thorn, great bondo work. I tried the applying with my hands method and so far i like it waaaaaay better than a brush lol. I love this post. You guys are doing a steller job. Keep it up:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back