110123_ODST_Helm_3.jpg
110123_ODST_Helm_6.jpg

110212_ODST_WIP_9.jpg
110212_ODST_WIP_8.jpg

110212_ODST_WIP_10.jpg

110212_ODST_WIP_2.jpg

110212_ODST_WIP_6.jpg

HughsODSTWIP3.jpg

Final 3D render of all armor pieces. All models were done by me. Final render done in ZBrush.

My ODST build is based off of the ones in Halo 3, adapted from the McFarlane Studios design. For costuming/prop building use ONLY.

110212_ODST_WIP_4.jpg

Completed Armor

Files: All scales should already be in place for an average built 6 ft person.
All models were created by me. A few unfolds were by mkshane and Zero202.

ODSTPresentation2.jpg

IMPORTANT- The helmet and chest files were built in a way that a lot of you probably aren't familiar with. Despite what they look like in Pep, these parts aren't 1 solid object, they are made up of several small boxlike shapes that you will have to assemble and fit together. I HIGHLY SUGGEST USING BUTTERFLY CLIPS in your build process for these. After assembling some of the parts, use the clips to position and hold the parts together from the inside until you get a good feel for how the part looks, then afterward begin to glue the parts together while removing clips one at a time. The inside edges once glued together will act as a superior reinforcement tool much stronger than having support struts. It sounds weird I know, but trust me it works great and you will be able to test fit.

If you don't use the clips to hold the parts together before you glue, you may run into problems getting all of the parts to fit together perfectly. So have patience! I build parts in this way to attain a high level of symmetry.

**Misc Armor Parts**

*Visor TemplateOptional ODST Visor. To be used as template for cutting plastic pieces.
*Base Belt and Spine Template Base abdomen pattern. Includes patterns to layer the spine. Try using foam.
*Buckle Template Base buckle for the ODST. Not much to it, but it's simple.
*Neck Seal Template Pattern for neck guard on Chest Core. Good to cut from foam.

Zero's unfold batch 1

**ODST Helmet Attachments & Addons (Requires ODST Helmet V2)**

If you would like me to link/showcase your work on my thread just send me a PM.

Recommended Links: (Great work by other 405th members using these files)

Last edited by a moderator:
its about time you posted it up, i was starting to worry that you would never do it! Excellent work as i said before!! BRA-FREAKIN-VO!

Turned out pretty nice Hugh!! I didn't even notice some of the levels of detail before. As far as your decision regarding your models, I agree whole-heartedly. The way I see it, people release files for the public because they want to. I appreciate you letting us take part in this build as well.

-Matt

EDIT: Moved OP here to make room for download images.

101018_1.jpg

pull42.jpg

Around April I started gathering reference and building all of the armor pieces, getting the proportions and details as accurate as possible. Here is my final 3d model/render for the armor.

HughsODSTWIP3.jpg

Originally I designed the helm to be broken down and made via 3D printer. But since I do not plan on selling what I make for much, it wouldn’t make sense to even create a master for the casts. There simply is no profit, unless I sell my casts at $500 and even then it will take a bit to get my initial costs. So I’ve decided to go the Pepakura route and see how that goes.

I started the helm by taking orthographic photos of the ODST helmet they gave out for the game release. I like having sculpted volumes to work off of instead of interpreting the normal maps that generate detail in game models. That is the major drawback to ripping game models. Pepakura won’t generate the normal map detail, since there is no geometry. Then you’re left with hours of detailing work by hand, which just ends up looking like you did it by hand. My approach was simple; create all of the pieces that look separate as separate objects that fit together.

I edited and aligned the reference in Photoshop then saved each view out as a separate image plane .jpg. As I was building I decided to tweak areas I didn’t like using a tablet in Zbrush. This allowed me to tweak areas without destroying the mesh. I made the helmet less tapered toward the top and streamlined some of the line work on the sides to make it look more aggressive and less round.

ModelwithReference.jpg

I’ve worked with many 3D packages but Maya seems to be the one that I’m the fastest with so I tend to stick with that for general modeling. Rendering and lighting I go with Softimage. Sculpting and detailing/texturing work I go with Zbrush. I love Zbrush, if I could make solid meshes without having to re-topoligize then I would only work out of that :)

I was initially going to just let other members unfold and scale the helmet parts, but due to the complexity of the entire piece I thought I’d just sit down and figure Pepakura out. To my surprise, it’s nothing more than a dubbed down version of a UV Texturing plugin, similar to Roadkill UV in some aspects. It was very easy to pick up on and I had the basics down in about a half an hour.

Here is an exploded view of the helmet.

ODSTHelmBreakaway_2_WEB.jpg

Fortunately the way I built the parts for 3d printing translated well with making it out of paper. Since all of the parts are supported by at least four other edges the helmet parts actually reinforce one another when assembled. I just had to delete some inner faces and expose the backside of the normals for pepakura. It just takes a lot of time and patience and it’s not a lot of fun.

When I was close to finishing up the helmet model I brought it back into Zbrush and had some fun with different materials and texture options.

ODSTHelmZBrushWIP.jpg

Here I did a quick paint job just to get a feel for how I wanted the piece to look. I do not think I will be going with this color scheme however. I will probably make a sheet with several paint schemes in the future.

ODST_HelmZBrushWIPWEB2.jpg

wip_front.jpg

wip_3q.jpg

wip_side.jpg

wip_3qback.jpg

Enjoy

Woah, that is one crazy model! Good job, man!

I just noticed that the model could have been better unfolded. (Or maybe not?)

WOW Huge that looks awesome.

On a side note what did you think of Full Sail, I want to go after I got out of the Corps but life had other plans. May still try to go one day.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
I just noticed that the model could have been better unfolded. (Or maybe not?)

I havent downloaded it but I am judging by the exploded veiw he may be right. i will probably still download it later when i get home...

Lonewolf Armorer said:
WOW Huge that looks awesome.

On a side note what did you think of Full Sail, I want to go after I got out of the Corps but life had other plans. May still try to go one day.

Thanks man.

A lot of people have mixed feelings about the school and how it's so fast paced. But it's not anything we didn't get used to in the military if you ask me. Just do what you're asked to do, make sure it's turned in on time, and ask questions. Of course the military payed for a huge portion of my tuition so I'm good, but I know a lot of other kids that weren't that fortunate. I feel like it was worth every hour I put into it, simply because I used what I learned everyday either at home or at work. If you don't know exactly what you want to do for a living then I don't recommend a college like that.

Funny thing is, the 3d is only one part of what I do at work. It just got my foot in the door. Now I work with geospatial mapping and GPS. And I also work with lots of large format laser scanning. So don't plan on just making 3D models for a living if that's what you had in mind.

Wow, your model looks wicked. I've never seen a Pep model like that before! Your 3D work is astounding as well! The geometry flow is prefect :)

El1te

Queen said:
I'm on your former ship! o_O

And nice model! Geez! I nearly got hot glue on myself!

The Stennis? Haha yeah I don't know how you guys do it. When I landed everyone in the chow hall was like wth thinking I was there to take someone to the brig. They let me stay in the petty officer quarters, though I got a bottom bunk with like 2 ft to lay down on the deck and roll into bed o_O

Then there are the man-overboard drills at 2 a.m.

FAIL

lol and thanks

Hugh Stephen Holder III said:
The Stennis? Haha yeah I don't know how you guys do it. When I landed everyone in the chow hall was like wth thinking I was there to take someone to the brig. They let me stay in the petty officer quarters, though I got a bottom bunk with like 2 ft to lay down on the deck and roll into bed o_O

Then there are the man-overboard drills at 2 a.m.

FAIL

lol and thanks

I feel your pain with the chow hall. I'm VLA, and nobody knows what that is, so they keep asking me. I get to sleep in overflow berthing, so I have THREE feet of space. :p

Hey, just a quick question before I build this, What is it scaled to? It's locked in pep viewer so I cant scale it up or down or check. Thanks!

Shaymin Sky said:
The day has came... I must build! Your work is incredible, sir!

Sorry Shaymin I missed your question.

The finished helm is scaled to be 12.75 inches in length if that gives you an idea. I'm sorry if this doesn't work for you :( But I initially only made this as my own project, and all unfolds and work are my interpretation as far as what's easy for me. It did not start off as being something for the public, I just put the files out there for those that REALLY want to try it. So please keep that in mind.

I'll post more images on how I work with scaling. It more or less involves a digital representation of myself scaled with dimensions I gathered using calipers, NOT measuring tape.

And as for the statements regarding the best way to unfold the model; this is just what worked for me. I initially tried a few different variants of unfolds for these parts. I decided that keeping as many edges together as possible, while making smaller cuts, and using the card stock's natural ability to arc I was able to maintain the appropriate shapes and silhouette. Despite the the way the folds look it is very streamlined and will require only a small amount of bondo work. I'll use a triangle file to accent the line work. It's very rigid for not having any reinforcement other than glue.

Sure it's not pretty, but this is what works for me.

Shaymin Sky said:
no worries, The height seems to be in range, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

No problem :)

Also, when you get to the end make the Neck Seal part last. That will be a part you might have to trim a bit or you can opt to leave it out altogether since it's not that important. It's just a cosmetic feature I made so I could get a tighter look.

O-M-G!!!

I downloaded and it's freaking sweet, dot com!

Can't wait for the rest of the files, Hugh!

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
O-M-G!!!

I downloaded and it's freaking sweet, dot com!

Can't wait for the rest of the files, Hugh!

-Pony

haha thanks Pony

Well, the good news is the rest of the armor will not be as complex as this thing is. In fact I doubt they'll be much different than the other models out there. I think the only thing my build has going for it that's different is there is an actual enclosed torso cuirass that the parts are mounted on. That's what it looks like on the in game models to me, and it adds more bulk to the armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back