How to size War Machine and Iron Man pep files

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentd3at4

Jr Member
Intro
Hey guys I just completed pepping the shoulders the chest back and helmet. And after messing up a few pieces I was hoping to start a thread where people can post their helpful advice to measuring your body for accurate sized pep pieces.

*NOTE: If something is incorrect, or doesnt work for you after following this thread or using the advice provided PLEASE post and let us know so maybe we can see if we either messed up, or you missed a step, or if our directions need to be tweaked.
**NOTE: : The file links are unfolds at 1.9 scale by Dubean. I also here is a link to a thread which offers the links to these files and images of them which I will also link to from this thread from the corresponding piece. IE. Chest Sizing info will have link to chest pep file. stagefivedrift started the thread though that provides these links which, again, I will be sharing with you from this thread as well.
***NOTE:In an effort to keep the information manageable and as centralized as possible I will have to break the top thread into two parts but are all in the same thread to fit all the information! LINK IS AT THE BOTTOM

Please...
Contribute and help myself and other finish their Iron Man armor your contributions and advice would be greatly appreciated and helpful!!!

Pieces we still need help for measuring!
  • Shins
  • Thighs
  • Cod
  • Abdomen

UPDATES/EDITS:
  • 10/25/2010: Updated: How to Measure Chest and Back >> Contribution ~ SilentD3at4, and BenStreeper
  • 10/26/2010: Updated: How to Measure Shoulder >> Contribution ~ SilentD3at4
  • 11/1/2010: Updated: How To Measure Biceps >> Contribution ~ SilentD3at4
  • 11/2/2010: Updated: How to Measure Helmet >> Contribution ~ Mike 8213
  • 11/3/2010Updated: How to Measure Forearm (Handplate, Arm Gun, Gauntlet) >> Contribution ~ SilentD3at4
  • 11/9/2010 Updated: Reorganized layout for easier access of info, and links to pep files

Chest and Back
So far the only successful sized and pepped piece I have made is the chest and back piece. Using advice from BenStreeper in his tutorial videos I measured from the lowest rib to my neck (not your collar bonebut rather around your adam's apple / throat. Which for me was 18" Giving plenty of wiggle room and room for padding and then matched the measurement of 18" for the back piece.
~Contributed by Silentd3at4, and BenStreeper
DATE: 10/25/10

HERE IS THE PIC

LINK TO CHEST PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33
LINK TO BACK PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33

Shoulder
To measure the shoulder's for the iron man/war machine pep measure for the width. In my failed attempt I went for height but it is easier and more accurate to go for width. So I measured across my shoulder to get the width and added 1". Don't measure across your chest but measure the side of your shoulder that is perpindicular to your chest. This is an accurate way for measuring your shoulder for a good fit and easy because you dont need to measure height/length or around the neck/shoulder part of your torso. for padding and comfort/mobility)
~Contributed by Silentd3at4
DATE: 10/26/2010

LINKS
HERE IS THE PIC

LINK TO LOW DEF SHOULDER BELL PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33
LINK TO HIGH DEF SHOULDER BELL PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33

Biceps

Ok the way I determined how to do these biceps is by messing up alot ^_^. No in all seriousness though I measured 3 times and made three biceps till I got it right and here is A) how i sized it and B) best way to pep these pieces (part of the way and not pep the whole project and to find out later they are too big/small for you ^_^). Ok first thing is first get your tape measure and measure from the top of your bicep to the bottom of your tricep flexed. Unlike other measurements bend the measuring tape along the curve of this area not just parallel with your arm. Now here is where it takes some playing with when I did this the first time I didnt give enough added room for flexing (mismeasured) I was off by about a half an inch. What you need to do is add an inch to 2 inches (using your body type and own judgement).. For example, and at my own humiliation rofl, I measured about 7.5" flexing for my left arm but last build was just slightyl tight so I would propose pepping the bicep at about 8.5 - 9" in the DEPTH parameter of the 2D scale.

NOW HERE IS HOW TO PEP THE BICEP PIECE WITHOUT WASTING ALL THE PAPER AND YOUR TIME.
(NOTE: This may not exhibit tightness near the end of the project BUT it will save you from getting that far if the top part doesnt fit adequately.)
biceptut.jpg

Cut these pieces outlined in RED and then pep them before continuing. Doing it this way will allow you to recycle the pieces of paper if measured incorrectly.
~Contributed by Silentd3at4
DATE: 11/1/2010

LINKS
READ FULL POST HERE!!!
HERE IS THE PIC!!!

LINK TO LEFT BICEP PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33
LINK TO RIGHT BICEP PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33

Helmet

mike8213

[Measure] from under the chin over the top of the head [...]

I used a scale factor of 1.11
Height: 312mm, Width: 195mm, Depth: 283mm.
~Contributed mike8213
DATE: 11/2/2010

LINKS
READ FULL POST HERE

LINK TO LO DEF HELMET PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33
LINK TO HIGH DEF HELMET PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33

THREAD CONTINUES...

CONTINUED IN SAME THREAD CLICK HERE TO JUMP DIRECTLY TO IT RATHER THAN SCROLLING

biceptut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oy, thx for starting this thread also! I have yet to begin, but I'm currently looking for a war-machine helmet pep file or w/e. I have had lots of experience with 3dsMax, so hopefully I can use that to figure out some of these measurement issues between RL and 3D.

CONTINUED FROM TOP OF THIS THREAD...

Forearms
Forearm, Handplate, and Arm Weapon

The best way I found to do this whole part is to use Dubean33's Left Forearm file which contains the handplate, gauntlet, and arm gun all together already for you. Then I measured from the crease of my forearm down to my knuckles (I HAVENT FINISHED HANDPLATE TO SEE IF I NEED TO TWEAK BUT FEEL CONFIDENT AND WILL EDIT THIS PART WHEN I AM FOR CERTAIN). Here I got the measurement 14"

(QUICK FUN FACT: Your Forearm is the length in inches to your shoe size. Ie. I wear a 10 my forearm was 10" long. Anyways I digress)

Now that you have your measurement its time to add 3". 3 INCHES ?!?!? YOU SAY?!?!?! Well here is the reasoning. The hand plate will be separate from the gauntlet piece which adds a little more length. Then you have to figure for padding for the handplate as well as the forearm. If you were perhaps just measuring the gauntlet piece then you would probably only add about 2" but by adding 3" to my measurement I was able to pep a comfortable and good sized gauntlet for my war machine armor. OVERALL this will allow for 3 pepped files and accurately so. ^_^
~Contributed by SilentD3at4
DATE: 11/3/2010

LINKS
READ FULL POST HERE!!!
HERE IS THE PIC

LINK TO FOREARM PEP PIECE, AND INDIVIDUAL PIECES - Unfolded by Dubean33::
COMPLETE - LEFT
COMPLETE - RIGHT
HANDPLATE
GAUNTLET - LEFT
GAUNTLET - RIGHT
ARM GUN - LEFT
ARM GUN - RIGHT

LEG
Shins
Thighs

LINKS
LINK TO LEG PEP PIECE, AND INDIVIDUAL PIECES - Unfolded by Dubean33
LEG COMPLETE
THIGH - LEFT
THIGH - RIGHT
SHIN - LEFT
SHIN - RIGHT

Cod

LINKS
LINK TO COD PEP PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33

Abdomen

LINKS
LINK TO ABDOMEN PIECE - Unfolded by Dubean33

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: How to measure War Machine shoulders

EDITED original post on how I measured shoulders for my War Machine armor.

PLEASE help and contribute to this thread. Check original post for pieces we still need help with.

I got my head tester printed and cut, I will try to put it together tonight. If the size seems ok I am going to attempt pepping the helmet this weekend, then I will be able to give some dimension insight.

subbed this thread. I might be making child sized Iron Man suit next, still on the fence before I see difficulty level of files.

Cool cool. I might do that when I get to helm if nobody posts anything. Im glueing the bicep together as we speak hope to have it done by end of the night or tomorrow night by the latest. Will let you know how it goes!!!

Cool cool. I might do that when I get to helm if nobody posts anything. Im glueing the bicep together as we speak hope to have it done by end of the night or tomorrow night by the latest. Will let you know how it goes!!!

Printed out another head tester for War Machine @ 1.10 on normal printer paper, then I cut and glue every other mark basically. Got the thing put together in like 30 minutes, but it was pretty rough :). Seems to be a pretty good fit, the only part I'm worried about is the neck portion and sliding my head in. For that reason I am going with 1.12 as my scale, and I'm printing out the HD model and starting work on it this weekend.

As per technique, I have a few questions. Some of the folds are so miniscule (less than .5mm) that I feel they are insignificant to attempt to glue. Actually gluing them is just hard. Would anyone either just skipping these folds, or at least just taping them in place. Will tape mess up my build in the long run? Also, for my stuff I put the peices together as much as possible before joining them all together. I also work down the middle of the peice, and work myself to the outside instead of bottom up, this way to prevent any warping due to fractions of a mm of each fold being off. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Anyways, just wondering what everyone thinks about for technique.

Seems to be a pretty good fit, the only part I'm worried about is the neck portion and sliding my head in. ./QUOTE]

I may be wrong here but every other Iron Man helmet(War Machine included) requires the helmet to be cut into atleast two pieces in order to fit on your head. I know mine did. If you can just slide it on as a whole piece it is probably gonna be too big.

Good luck with it though. Hope all turns out well for you.

Seems to be a pretty good fit, the only part I'm worried about is the neck portion and sliding my head in. ./QUOTE]

I may be wrong here but every other Iron Man helmet(War Machine included) requires the helmet to be cut into atleast two pieces in order to fit on your head. I know mine did. If you can just slide it on as a whole piece it is probably gonna be too big.

Good luck with it though. Hope all turns out well for you.

Well, I think you may be correct on this. Either way I want a tight fit so I am going for 1.11 on scale. I need enough room to some electronics though, for the eyes when closed, ambient lights when the faceplate is open, and also for the parts that will make the faceplate open. If I have to saw the helmet in half, all except the faceplate, then I will, but I am thinking about making a peice that will cascade off the back of the helmet and go down the neck, so I can cut the helmet higher in the back, but this may limit my range of movement.

Either way, step 1 is building this monstrosity. Printed it last night and I will start slowly cutting out peices tonight, may be a few weeks before I even get done with that part :).

Ive already made 3 Test iron man helmets. and 2 actual Peps. I was trying to determine a helmet size that would look proportionate to my body with the armor on me in mind.

Thanks for the Test file Dubean and Helmet files.

The whole Metric measurements through me off too guys so i hope this helps some people.

I wear a hat Size 7 3/8 which is the first size you could consider a littler larger then average

I found that on dubeans helmets if i adjusted the height size to 268 it was pefect for me. the helm has just enough room for a little padding but follows the lines of my skull and facial structure well like the iron man mask is supposed to fit.

i would say that the Standard file size that is set to height of 262 is great for a slightly smaller adult head size.

259 - 263 is a great size for a slightly smaller adult head size and perfect for young adult.

264 - 266 average

267 - 269 height is ideal for someone that wears hat size 7 3/8. Im 5'11 with a stocky sportier build and fits me great.

and my first helm i made before learning more about scaling was 273 complete fail on me. it Fit like a bobble Head hahaha but i have a stocky friend that is about 6 feet tall, and im not sure what his head size is but its def. big. and it seemed to fit him fine. prob could scale it down to 271 for a better fit.

Ive already made 3 Test iron man helmets. and 2 actual Peps. I was trying to determine a helmet size that would look proportionate to my body with the armor on me in mind.

Thanks for the Test file Dubean and Helmet files.

The whole Metric measurements through me off too guys so i hope this helps some people.

I wear a hat Size 7 3/8 which is the first size you could consider a littler larger then average

I found that on dubeans helmets if i adjusted the height size to 268 it was pefect for me. the helm has just enough room for a little padding but follows the lines of my skull and facial structure well like the iron man mask is supposed to fit.

i would say that the Standard file size that is set to height of 262 is great for a slightly smaller adult head size.

259 - 263 is a great size for a slightly smaller adult head size and perfect for young adult.

264 - 266 average

267 - 269 height is ideal for someone that wears hat size 7 3/8. Im 5'11 with a stocky sportier build and fits me great.

and my first helm i made before learning more about scaling was 273 complete fail on me. it Fit like a bobble Head hahaha but i have a stocky friend that is about 6 feet tall, and im not sure what his head size is but its def. big. and it seemed to fit him fine. prob could scale it down to 271 for a better fit.

Mkivtt03 I GREATLY appreciate your willingness to contribute to this thread!!! Could you be more specific about how to measure the file versus your own experience and hat sizes? Could you please word or describe how to measure the helm using Pepakura parameters and dimensions. Thanks ahead of time for your HELP!!! Cant wait to add your information to the header post!!!

Mkivtt03 I GREATLY appreciate your willingness to contribute to this thread!!! Could you be more specific about how to measure the file versus your own experience and hat sizes? Could you please word or describe how to measure the helm using Pepakura parameters and dimensions. Thanks ahead of time for your HELP!!! Cant wait to add your information to the header post!!!

More specifically like I took my hat size measurement and used this for the depth parameter and added 1" or you measured from your chin to the top of your head and for x" and converted to MM and added 1" or more. THANKS!!!

It was more of a hit and miss due to trial and error but like you i felt ok doing it that way as i also needed practice on this craft.

I had tried many diff. formulas to calculate head measurements in MM that worked but i couldnt get anything solid but im not really a math wiz either.

but if you want to know your hat size if you dont know it already here are the steps to do so.

Take measuring tape and measure the circumference of your head. once you get how many inches around your head is look up Hat size chart on a search engine. to give you an idea if you have a small med or large head.

http://www.panamahatshop.com/images/Sizes/chart_size.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back