Mark VI (first build) WIP (Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oak Man24

Hey 405th!! Name’s Stephen aka Oak Man24. I joined the forum at the end of last summer but college started up again and I did not have time during the school year to really do anything besides school related activities.

So when summer finally rolled around I decided I wanted to make my own Mark VI armor. I am using a mix of LD and HD parts primarily from the 405th pep pack. One of my buddies from high school (thegimpmaster01) and I are trying to get our armor done by the time I leave to go back to school sometime in the middle of August (I know it usually takes 6+ months to do this) I am trying to make a good quality build in a quarter of the time, it’s going to be hard but going to give it my best shot.

I have been reading up and started doing some pepakura. So here is my WIP thread.

I do have a question, are my forearms too big? I know I am skinny (when I turn sideways you can no longer see me) so maybe padding will fix my issue but your input would be greatly appreciated!

All feedback is welcome!

Thanks 405th!!!

Here are some pictures:
What I have done so far:
th_IMG_2375.jpg

Cutting, Folding and Gluing workspace:
th_IMG_2374.jpg

Here I am wearing the left set which, is it too big?? HELP!!!

th_DSCF0100.jpg

th_DSCF0096.jpg

Thanks again for the help!!

I would like to second the quality of your work. I woud also agree that the gauntlet looks a bit too big, maybe size it down 10% or about 15 mm or so.

Great job so far! I recently completed a low-def Mark VI suit. Your forearm pieces don't look oversized, at least not enough to warrant remaking them. Feel free to check out my build to see my arm piece sizing. Keep it up. :)

Nice one, Steve. I can attest to the quality of the pep! Mainly because I pep with you in person... Anyways, I feel inspired to create my own WIP thread. Nice job. And yeah.... I'm wondering about my forearm size as well. We'll have to see.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have decided that I will not remake the forearm pieces because of time. If it turns out that they look awful because they are too big I will later but not stopping now I have to keep pepping other armor pieces.

th_DSCF0103.jpg

So the next piece i did was the LD cod piece. Guess what guys this time it was WAY too small. Now I had read that you cannot put it on until you cut it because it is meant to be cut after the resin and glassing stages however I do have a few questions on it. It seems like you have to add on a few inches to the width for it to come out right. I measured my waist to be 13.5 inches and the inside of the cod piece is 11 inches due to the stupid mistake that where you put it on is not the true width because the very outside is...a noobish mistake (I expected mistakes like this afterall I am still a noob) haha.

th_DSCF0104.jpg

Another question I have is where the cod piece should rest. It is just hard to tell where MC and 405th members’ hips are. I thought it went right around the hips, or does it go higher. HELP!!!

I've designed mine to sit just on the belly button, as that seems to be roughly the area it is on Chief.

You can always pad out your forearms since Spartans have Big muscled bodies anyways. Also Good luck with the Cod I find Cod pieces a head ache when done in Resin fiberglass bondo/rondo.

Thanks all for comments and help. I know it has been awhile (sorry) but I figured I might as well update on my progress. I failed to meet my deadline for finishing the suit before college started up again as I leave on Thursday. However I have set a new goal to be done in time for Halloween. I have pepped all of the pieces, and glassed everything but my hlemt and chest.

Here are some pics of the armor...

All Layed out

th_IMG_0505.jpg

Close up of Legs

th_IMG_0507.jpg

Close up of Chest

th_IMG_0506.jpg

Just the chest

th_IMG_0508.jpg

The back if you couldnt tell

th_IMG_0509.jpg

In case you were wondering the helmet and the handplates are at Thegimpmaster01 house getting resined and glassed (its where the workshop is). You can check out his build here http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33787-Mark-VI-first-build-WIP.

Now I have a few questions: I am using the HD chest piece by FlyingSquirrel and it puts it in two parts the chest and the abs how do I attach them? when I was pepping it I thought the supports would hold it in but i was wrong. Is this something post production.

Also what is the best way to cut and then attach the chest piece when you are wearing it? I am really looking for what materials do you use that are strong enough to support the chest peice but still allow me to take it off.

All feedback is welcome and thanks for the help 405th!!

Check out pages 20 and 21 of my Mark VI build to see how I split the chest and how I attached the ab plate. It's working great so far.

Keep up the great work.

That is where I thought I had to cut it and looking at yours really helped thanks! I was also wondering how to attach the clips but the wood blocks were a great idea!

GOOD JOB BRO!! Looking AWESOME!

Thanks! Read up on your projects and cannot wait to see them, even if it does take a year for them to be finished!

Thanks! I still have to finish my go kart project first though!! I should finish soon!! it's just SO FRIKKIN EXPENSIVE!! but I will be starting soon! and to hold you off, I will be uploading a tutorial soon!!

Alright its my last day in Omaha and it looks like I will be able to finish glassing everything! But I took some pictures at TheGimpmaster01 house this morning on our progress and here are the pics. Including our makeshift workroom

So here is the picture of our workbench with the partly glassed chest piece and fully glassed helmets

th_IMG_0513.jpg

A close up of the helmet! I like how it is turning out. I did a coat of resin on the outside then later on the inside and then two coats of glass.

th_IMG_0517.jpg

th_IMG_0518.jpg

th_IMG_0519.jpg

I think that two coats of glass should add enough strength to the pieces. If I am wrong, PLEASE tell me!

Thanks

Oak Man24

I think that two coats of glass should add enough strength to the pieces. If I am wrong, PLEASE tell me!

Two coats of fiberglass is more than enough. Heck, I only did one layer on my Mk VI suit and it's plenty strong. Keep up the great work, you're really moving along quickly. :cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back