erayachi's Mark VI Build (WIP) - Part 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erayachi

Today (yesterday...well two weeks ago) another noob starts (started?) making two Mark VI sets of Halo armour. Mine will be first, dedicated to Tex from Red vs. Blue. The second is Grif's armour, but that's for a date later on. Probably after Christmas.

I will not be using fiberglass resin or fiberglass
Instead, I'll be using plaster wrap, paperclay and many layers of acrylic medium, matte finish (in gel and liquid form).

I have used a plaster wrap/paperclay combination before to make armour. It works well, and combined with layering of gesso/medium, it's pretty durable. I can't use resin or fiberglass safely, since I have only my tiny rented college room in my landlady's house in which to work. This should be an adventure, at least.

And now the pictures.

Tex1-1.jpg

Thigh piece. It's not 100% completed, and the paint job is a test. More plaster wrap and papier mache/clay to come.

TexChest1-1.jpg

First part of the chest armour pepped. The vitamin water just makes it cooler.

Tex7.jpg

Yep, it's too big. Least I didn't finish it before realizing it this time--guess what I'll be doing for the next few days?

I wouldn't have so many back-to-back posts, but since everyone's being so shy and I work so quickly...o_o...

THE RIGHT SIZE! *champagne celebration...by herself...*

tex8.jpg

I may have blotted out my ugly messy background. Maybe.

I really like your pep-work! Nice job on the chest piece, it looks like it fits really well. Unfortunetly my own chest piece looks more like your first one, except a little bit smaller. (like i was saying on my thread, i REALLY should rescale but asdfafdgdhxc that piece was SO ANNOYING)

Your lower arm piece looks really good, is that the HD mark VI file of it?

Ill make sure to bookmark and follow this build! Good job :D

I really like your pep-work! Nice job on the chest piece, it looks like it fits really well. Unfortunetly my own chest piece looks more like your first one, except a little bit smaller. (like i was saying on my thread, i REALLY should rescale but asdfafdgdhxc that piece was SO ANNOYING)

Your lower arm piece looks really good, is that the HD mark VI file of it?

Ill make sure to bookmark and follow this build! Good job :D

No, it's the low-def version of the forearm, and it's even lower quality because of the mistake I made with plaster wrap. It's good I made that mistake with an arm piece and not, say...my helmet. Which is now pepped!

It's odd; the helmet fits me perfectly. I mean I just -barely- am able to put it on and it looks right. It just looks big...compared tot he chest armour. Is it my imagination? I really am not re-pepping these...again...v_v Anyone else see it?

I apologize for the semi-bad quality of the photos, since I only have my webcam right now. Also, there's a few pieces of tape sticking up here and there which will get trimmed off before I coat it with gel matte.

Incoming pictures:
TexCos3.jpg

TexCos2.jpg

TexCos1.jpg

TexCos4.jpg

Now it's time to finish pepping the chest. Man, the rest of the armour's going to seem really easy after the helm and chest...

Welcome to the 405th erayachi. (Kudo's for another Canadian build)

This will be an interesting build to follow. I have never used plaster wrap or gel matte and can't wait to see how this all works out. Learning is a good thing.
Good to see that your not afraid to repep if the scaling is off. That takes dedication.
Do I spy 4 holes in the front of the chest piece? For LED's perhaps?

Excellent progress and caint wait to see more progress pics.

Cheers!

Welcome to the 405th erayachi. (Kudo's for another Canadian build)

This will be an interesting build to follow. I have never used plaster wrap or gel matte and can't wait to see how this all works out. Learning is a good thing.
Good to see that your not afraid to repep if the scaling is off. That takes dedication.
Do I spy 4 holes in the front of the chest piece? For LED's perhaps?

Excellent progress and caint wait to see more progress pics.

Cheers!

Haven't decided on the LEDs, but I'm leaving the holes in some places until I'm sure, and I'll fill 'em in last. Since it's a Tex costume, I guess I shouldn't get too creative and just put lights where they're meant to be (arms, legs and helmet). Thanks for the welcome! :)

Yes, using plaster wrap ultimately means more layering work and the armor is more 'hollow', but it's definitely sturdy. If it looks too 'thin', I can always add foam around the edges to make it appear thicker. Man, I wish I could use resin and fiberglass... More progress pics soon; I'm going to try to finish the chest piece asap.

From your description the helmet sounds like it fits perfect (and it looks like it fits perfect from the pictures too.) Perhaps your chest piece just looks a little bit smaller in comparison? If you still think its noticeable and dont want to redo your chest piece (i wouldnt blame ya lol) then I would try to offset the "large" helmet with making the shoulder pieces maybe a tiny bit bigger than you would normally make them, that way your helmet doesnt look big on your suit. But, in all honesty, I dont think you have to worry about it too much, it looks really good to me.

and omg, when I saw all of the numbers on that helmet I was just like "do.not.want.to.pep ~.~"

I think the scaling looks just right and that your pepping is above par. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! I appreciate the positive outlook; I personally think my pepping ability could use polishing. xD

From your description the helmet sounds like it fits perfect (and it looks like it fits perfect from the pictures too.) Perhaps your chest piece just looks a little bit smaller in comparison? If you still think its noticeable and dont want to redo your chest piece (i wouldnt blame ya lol) then I would try to offset the "large" helmet with making the shoulder pieces maybe a tiny bit bigger than you would normally make them, that way your helmet doesnt look big on your suit. But, in all honesty, I dont think you have to worry about it too much, it looks really good to me.

and omg, when I saw all of the numbers on that helmet I was just like "do.not.want.to.pep ~.~"

That's an interesting way of looking at it. You're right; I could try to make shoulder armour that is a tad bigger, too, if the helm turns out to be disproportionate. I'll make everything as accurately as I can, try it on, and then remake. This is is why I decided to go with the helm and the chest piece very early. They're the hardest to do, and they're the 'core', so to speak. :) Don't worry, the helm is actually very easy, compared to the chest. Took me 3 days to pep. The chest has taken me...over a week...

Anyway. MOAR pics !

texprogress3.jpg

The chest is pepped! At 96%. As you can see, I might have lost a few, tinier pieces. Probably got trashed. I'll print 'em out again...eventually.

texprogress4.jpg

Side view.

texprogress6.jpg

Front view. Hmm, I still have supports to add in...

And also, the helm is moving along.

texprogress1.jpg

texprogress2.jpg

Rather than Bondo, I've whipped out the packaged paperclay. I love it. So I've got the helmet partially covered in spots that need smoothing. This is pre-sanding; it's not even dry yet. Time. To get. DUSTY!

You can't see it (transparent stuff), but there's like 4 layers of matte and 2 layers of gesso on the helmet, keeping it in top shape. No warping anymore!

paperclay.jpg

Did I mention how much I love this stuff? :3

Been a while, but I haven't given in. I can't, actually. Heh.

Since I'm working with different materials, I can't help but dabble and try things out, so I've been working on pepped pieces rather than pepping more. So far my method's beat my expectations, except that I have to be more careful with my paperclay. That, and I can't use scotch clear tape for pepping anymore. Yes, the gesso smooths it out, but not in some places, and it's making some connections look...well, messy.

My helm still only has one layer of plaster inside of it, so that's my next step. Add another layer to make it basically undamageable. With just one layer of the plaster cloth, however, it's nice and tough. I can pick it up from any spot and it won't bend or collapse.

Anyway.

TexHelm3.jpg

TexHelm2.jpg

TexHelm1.jpg

Three shots of the painted helm. This is dark grey, believe it or not, not black. The photo quality is still horrendous...sorry. I'll get my digital camera this weekend hopefully, so no more webcam goofs. You can still see the parts where I need to add more paperclay to smooth it out. STILL trying to find a motorcycle visor in my local cities, because ordering something from a US website and getting it through customs is a nightmare I don't want to do again...ever again...

ProgressArm1.jpg

ProgressArm2.jpg

ProgressArm3.jpg

Basic (bad) shots of my right shoulder armour, already has paperclay on and sanded. Will add more paperclay, and sand more, before it can be painted. I also should stop being lazy and add a second layer of plaster to it, too.

Can you tell from the pictures just how tiny a room I'm working in? This will be like watching a chihuahua give birth to a bulldog. Bahahahaha...

Edit: Oh, and on a side note, I've got the works of a plaster wrap/paperclay tutorial started. If I'm successful with this armour, I could provide an FAQ for this method in case there are others out there who need resin alternatives. Like other college students who can't afford their own full apartment.

great progress since I was last here! Its look great!!!! I cant wait to see more,- so excited to see a tex build :D
If I make my build of Sister thatd be super funny to get a RvB gang together xD

The shoulders are looking really great. Did you make any modifications to them? They look sturdier and rounder than the one that I made

p.s. Its cool that you are using different materials! Much respect for that, I'd be way to afraid to even try anything different.
and your helmet looks perfectly scaled (and painted,) do you at all remember what you scaled it at? I'm goingto do mine soon, and a reference would be cool to have :)

Oh, and on a side note, I've got the works of a plaster wrap/paperclay tutorial started. If I'm successful with this armour, I could provide an FAQ for this method in case there are others out there who need resin alternatives. Like other college students who can't afford their own full apartment.

This is the first I have heard of Paperclay and I am both impressed and intrigued. I would love to see a tutorial explaining how you work with this stuff. I have space to do resining, but winter is long and my garage is not heated (and I don't trust my garage cat). This looks like something I could start with over the holidays...

Keep the updates coming, the picture quality is perfectly bearable because you give us plenty of pictures to look at. Keep up the great work, I'll be following your thread.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am not dead.

This thread kind of was, for a while. While I schooled. In college. With other collegers.

I learned a lot.

Now that it's all over in 2 days, I have an announcement to make. I have made NO PROGRESS on either of my costumes since...February. On the bright side, I got a new camera, so I can post here those higher-quality pictures I promise a while back.

Still doesn't change the fact I have to complete 2 Mark VI costumes in 5 weeks. It's doable, provided I stick to my method and don't procrastinate.

Here are those updated pretty pics to get this project back on track:

costume.jpg

(To be clear, this paper visor is only temporary. Buying the motorcycle visors is on my 'to do' list.)
costume2.jpg

costume3.jpg

costume4.jpg

costume5.jpg

(This photo makes a clearer display of the plaster innards. It's kind of like a cast...in the shape of armour...)

Additionally, very shortly, I will post that handy guide on paperclay/plaster usage. I don't think it's a method used often at all, and it's actually a very good one. Don't take my pictures as a good example...not yet. I've been lazy.

....God, have I been lazy.

hey WB!
Thats cool that you are doing plaster on the inside, I dont think I have seen that yet.
Anyway it all looks good! And 2 costumes in 5 weeks? Best of luck to ya; can't wait to see your progress

Ahh paper clay! Thats creative! That brings back memories of my Cyrax build oh say 10 or so odd years ago, give or take a year xD I used cardboard and model magic for that, was quite the undertaking but was fun! Model Magic was a kind of paper clay that air dried, very light and a dream to sand. The only problem with paper clay is that it is somewhat delicate, not exactly a material that can take a hit without some serious reinforcement, and it tends to crack over the years with wear and tear. The good thing about using paper clay is that it will be light, wont weigh as much as a fiberglass/bondo or rondo'ed piece and you shouldnt have to worry about straps snapping off if you super glue them to something. Though with armor I dont trust anything except F1 cement or Gorilla Glue. Cant wait to see more progress! Looking good so far!

Ahh paper clay! Thats creative! That brings back memories of my Cyrax build oh say 10 or so odd years ago, give or take a year xD I used cardboard and model magic for that, was quite the undertaking but was fun! Model Magic was a kind of paper clay that air dried, very light and a dream to sand. The only problem with paper clay is that it is somewhat delicate, not exactly a material that can take a hit without some serious reinforcement, and it tends to crack over the years with wear and tear. The good thing about using paper clay is that it will be light, wont weigh as much as a fiberglass/bondo or rondo'ed piece and you shouldnt have to worry about straps snapping off if you super glue them to something. Though with armor I dont trust anything except F1 cement or Gorilla Glue. Cant wait to see more progress! Looking good so far!

Thanks for the tips and advice! I know paper clay cracks over time and it needs reinforcement, so I'm taking precautions (extra plaster gauze helps). With enough acrylic medium glossing the outside, cracking will be minimal. When it does start to crack one day, it's easy to repair with tiny bits of paper clay. Also, I use Gorilla Glue. For EVERYTHING. Can't trust other bonding methods when it comes to armour. ....I lied, I'm actually able to sew the straps on with a an industrial needle, that can poke straight through 2-3 layers of the plaster. Brush on some gorilla glue: voila!

hey WB!
Thats cool that you are doing plaster on the inside, I dont think I have seen that yet.
Anyway it all looks good! And 2 costumes in 5 weeks? Best of luck to ya; can't wait to see your progress

Hey again! Thanks, and yes, 5 weeks might hurt me in the end but it'll be worth it. Plaster gauze is one of those methods you can't use unless you're using specific other materials. Probably why it's not common. xD

Finally, a single pic. It took WAY too long to take on my own. The chest piece isn't even buckled up. Several places need more paper clay and/or paper mache mix. And for the love of St. Pete, that paper visor is going to get replaced, if it's the last thing that kills me.

updateTex.jpg

This is looking very good so far Im excited to see it all in the end I will be keeping up with this for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back