spn_phoenix_92's Halo Reach Foam Armor Build (Pic Heavy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spn phoenix 92

So after stalking the forums for such a long time, I decided to become a member and start building my own armor. I've read so much and used the search bar (which I see lots of people don't use lol) and I've had such a hard time deciding on whether to make fiberglass or foam armor, I decided to make both.

Here is what I'm gonna make my armor look like.

spartan_zps5cd622e0.png

Here are the foam supplies I will be using.

DSCN0447_zps167a3d4c.jpg

DSCN0449_zpsa24ea3a5.jpg

And here are some gloves I found on ebay for $4

DSCN0455_zps8d015367.jpg

After long thinking on what I wanted to tackle first, I ended up going with the hand plates first. I drew the design free-hand and to my scale. This isn't the real handplate I'm gonna be using, it was just a quick cut to see if I liked the foam for the hand.

handplate_zps97d72dc7.png

DSCN0450_zpsaf6bf921.jpg

DSCN0451_zps22dc549f.jpg

DSCN0452_zps7a99629b.jpg

DSCN0453_zpsc8aa41fb.jpg

DSCN0454_zps077c110e.jpg

I seem to like the foam pretty well, I'll have to remake them a little smaller and take my time and make them look nice.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips on building (as this is my first time ever) feel free to share!

Nice find on those gloves. Looks like a good deal. Good luck on your build.

Thanks, and yes these are some pretty nice gloves.

UPDATE

Last night I started working on the right shoulder using L3X's Security Shoulder file. (Great files btw, L3X!) I ended up not printing some of the pieces to make it work with foam and scaled it.

145wetrbw_zps1d68105c.png

Here I have the front plate done with some detailing. I gotta smooth it out a little first and put a new blade in my xacto knife before I put the next pieces on.

DSCN0457_zps59032ea1.jpg

DSCN0459_zps53b8d3fe.jpg

I also made the handplate smaller. I might end up doing them in pep instead.

DSCN0460_zpsada5d382.jpg

Things are coming along slowly but surely, working full time hours that change shifts on a daily basis takes alot of time away from me, but I got the weekend off for once so I shoud have the right shoulder done tomorrow, and hopefully the left on sunday.

Any constructive criticism or tips are highly appreciated. :p

I never would have thought of this. Using foam to alter pre-made gloves. Fantastic. Thanks for the idea. I must post images of them here for your approval lol.

Looks good. Love the concept for the shoulder. :D
I my self like to sand/clean the edges at this stage to make the sealing/primer look cleaner, and improves the over all look.:cool

Looks good. Love the concept for the shoulder. :D
I my self like to sand/clean the edges at this stage to make the sealing/primer look cleaner, and improves the over all look.:cool

How do you seal your foam? I can't seem to find any Plastidip spray in my area in Ohio, and I don't wanna pay $10 just in shipping just to get it sent to my house from somewhere else. I seen a youtube tutorial of painting certain kinds of glue in thin layers over it and letting the foam absorb it.

Nice to meet you ! :)

Your progress is good so far :) im curious how u will handle the more difficult parts with foam. :) keep up the work man

Nice to meet you ! :)

Your progress is good so far :) im curious how u will handle the more difficult parts with foam. :) keep up the work man

Thanks, I'm curious myself. Hilarious name btw :p

Update time!

So I've gotten most of the shoulder done, would have had more if I didn't sleep in til 2pm and then have to go get checked up from being now sick. Stupid respritory infections. :(

Anyway, here are the pics. The foam is being a pain in the butt to work with, and I'm a little messy with hot glue, but I hope to have it finished late tonight.

DSCN0461_zps0b775c4a.jpg

DSCN0462_zps06b3e8ce.jpg

DSCN0463_zps30b08489.jpg

thanks.

Well your foam skills are pretty good . Did u ever deal with foam in the past?

Thanks! No, this is my first time. I've made a Halo 2 ODST costume out of pepakura and some cardboard props years ago, but that's it.

Looking good im also a CQB fan and for the reach CQB i have to say that Gothx has the best right now i have made the two reach files and Gothx has it nailed http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35999-Reach-CQB-First-pep-design check out my thread to see the difference if you want.

I'm already using his file, and your thread was one of my biggest inspirations to use it actually! I'm also a fan of your custom Halo figures, I've been wanting to give it a shot for a while but never have.

I'm already using his file, and your thread was one of my biggest inspirations to use it actually! I'm also a fan of your custom Halo figures, I've been wanting to give it a shot for a while but never have.
The worst part is tracking down the piece's needed but if you want to go for it i'll help with what sets to buy and tip's here and there. I'm glad my build inspired you to use his file and if you have any questions in your pep build feel free to PM

Well so far I haven't made any progress, had to spend the day working on the wife's car, hopefully I'll get some progress done later.

Progress!

I finally got the right shoulder assembled. Had the past 2 days off, but spent saturday being sick and today working on my wife's car, but I finally managed. It was alot more difficult to build than I thought it would, I guess I should've edited the file to better suit being built from foam.

I've still got some serious sanding to do, and try to get rid of the excess hot glue, then I will harden it with the glue water method of mixing 1:1 craft glue and water and brushing 5 thin layers on it so it will soak it in.

Anyways, here are the pics! :D (It's my first time with foam so I know it's kinda crappy)

DSCN0471_zps6b277f95.jpg

DSCN0472_zps5c0eec6f.jpg

DSCN0473_zps7185984e.jpg

DSCN0476_zps17a0879c.jpg

DSCN0475_zpsfb16a029.jpg

DSCN0474_zps57bcaf82.jpg

Whenever I get the time, I will make the left shoulder out of foam as well.

Love the idea your going with phoenix. Is that a red visor is see cuz that would look awsome if u made a red visor for the color scheme u plan on using
love u work bro

Sadly I wasn't able to start the left shoulder today, but I did do something else. :p

My wife came home with pumpkins today for us to carve together, so I made this, only took 3 hours lol.

DSCN0484_zpsef8dbac2.jpg

DSCN0483_zpsa6ff92f4.jpg

It's not the greatest thing ever, but it's my best pumpkin I've made. I'd say that doing this free handed with no reference pictures is pretty good.

My wife is making 2, a big one with Desmond Miles' eagle symbol from Assassin's Creed, and a smaller one as the Apple of Eden, from the same game series. I'll edit this post and add pics of them when she's finished making them. ;)

Lol that pumpkin is freaking awesome lol. I gather you are going to dress up for Halloween too? I'm going dressed as a 14th century armoured foot soldier. I have authentic 14guage steel body armor. Its a little heavy but is very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back