Halo 4 Spartan IV under armor and utility suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, be careful with the screenshots from Halo 4 - all human characters have quite unrealistic proportions.

The ingame Spartans have a very short torso and somewhat oversized hands, so don't try to straight on use the images for patterns because they won't fit anyone.

(and Lasky too - you can see that in the Spartan Ops CG videos for example)

I think i've found a solution and im going to give it a go, I found an old armor build made before halo 4 he had a really good idea to use EVA foam as the undersuit but first modified it with this deremel take a look! http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...ld-(PIC-HEAVY)/page3?highlight=foam+undersuit
Im going to start working on an undersuit fitted to my body tonight using this technic.

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, fsracer's result was awesome and definitely looks the part. The problem you'll probably run into is something I'll try highlight below:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGfBcy2PytolCGAPPdS6KtFsjM2SZr6xzp0fibLEhZo1TtnR1_9Q.jpg

A quick google images such pulled up this. The biggest problem facing foam is going to be mobility and stretching, especially around the joints such as the shoulder (above), elbows and knees. Stretching of the torso from left to right and vice versa will also pose a problem of potential breaking / failure of the foam.

Neoprene will alleviate this issue, although being able to find the hex pattern is the difficult task. Sewing (with nylon) or gluing is a non-issue, it's just finding somewhere that has something equivalent to that pattern and texture.

Also, I was thinking so there's no rubbing of the undersuit on my skin, especially where the neoprene edges (sewn or glued) may rub, I'm thinking of wearing a set of full length skins underneath. The set I have now provides a plentiful amount of breathing and keeps me cool. They're also black, with minimal colour, so if there are any parts of the undersuit that may accidentally show skin, I'll be still covered :)

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, fsracer's result was awesome and definitely looks the part. The problem you'll probably run into is something I'll try highlight below:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGfBcy2PytolCGAPPdS6KtFsjM2SZr6xzp0fibLEhZo1TtnR1_9Q.jpg

A quick google images such pulled up this. The biggest problem facing foam is going to be mobility and stretching, especially around the joints such as the shoulder (above), elbows and knees. Stretching of the torso from left to right and vice versa will also pose a problem of potential breaking / failure of the foam.

Neoprene will alleviate this issue, although being able to find the hex pattern is the difficult task. Sewing (with nylon) or gluing is a non-issue, it's just finding somewhere that has something equivalent to that pattern and texture.

Also, I was thinking so there's no rubbing of the undersuit on my skin, especially where the neoprene edges (sewn or glued) may rub, I'm thinking of wearing a set of full length skins underneath. The set I have now provides a plentiful amount of breathing and keeps me cool. They're also black, with minimal colour, so if there are any parts of the undersuit that may accidentally show skin, I'll be still covered :)

I have been thinking about mobility and don't it should work just with some trial and error.

May sound like I'm on some kind of vendetta but I really want to find the best (and cost effective) way to get this hexagon pattern so I can start the design and build process.

One step closer to another possible solution, back to neoprene I've found with a hexagon design, although a little spaced out:
http://vesde.en.alibaba.com/product/214124571-201834019/neoprene_sheet_embossed_neoprene.html

Again, I don't know the size of the hexagons and whether the design can be modified at all, but it's another avenue at least!

May sound like I'm on some kind of vendetta but I really want to find the best (and cost effective) way to get this hexagon pattern so I can start the design and build process.

One step closer to another possible solution, back to neoprene I've found with a hexagon design, although a little spaced out:
http://vesde.en.alibaba.com/product/214124571-201834019/neoprene_sheet_embossed_neoprene.html

Again, I don't know the size of the hexagons and whether the design can be modified at all, but it's another avenue at least!

Don't be ashamed! Those are perfect I think! If we were to use the embossed neoprene material for the major parts with a regular thing neoprene covered in the thin hex pattern for joints I think that would be ideal. Amazing finds mate!

Don't be ashamed! Those are perfect I think! If we were to use the embossed neoprene material for the major parts with a regular thing neoprene covered in the thin hex pattern for joints I think that would be ideal. Amazing finds mate!
Haha, yeah I can OCD sometimes over the smallest detail, but it's going to make all the difference once the suit starts getting made and seeing the final product!

I've sent a message to the manufacturer to see about sizing, cost and any possible modifications to the pattern (ie. tighter grouping of hexagons).
I get the feeling I'd need to order a huge amount of this stuff, being a business-to-business website, but we'll wait and see what the response is like! :)

This looks like the "leisure" suit in one of the Spartan Ops episodes. I don't think that it's the Spartan undersuit but looks like an impressive job nonetheless.

I have some great screen caps from one of the vidocs I found. I'll be posting them tomorrow morning!

Right, that is the "utility" or "leisure" suit. What they wear around base etc.. I am also working on the "Exoskeleton" or "under suit" portion. Its not complete yet and I still have a lot to do on the rear but I'll upload front rear and sides when its done.

z4lr8.jpg

-James-

Great job on the undersuit plans so far. I would like to see this completed. What about using latex paint on top of a spandex suit, just mask off the edges and build it up to the desired thickness. Then us fabric paint such as the one used for automobile upholstery to take the shine off from the fabric, don't know how shiny the latex paint would be and it should stretch although I don't know as I have not tried it. I was planing to do this or use two spandex suits with foam sandwiched in between them, spray glued to the first suit and then sow the second one around the edges of the foam through the outer suit defining the foam pattern but at the same time it should allow mobility, have not figured out the shoulder or knee area though and I imagine it would be some what warm. I have not started yet but I am planning and gathering at the moment.

Great job on the undersuit plans so far. I would like to see this completed. What about using latex paint on top of a spandex suit, just mask off the edges and build it up to the desired thickness. Then us fabric paint such as the one used for automobile upholstery to take the shine off from the fabric, don't know how shiny the latex paint would be and it should stretch although I don't know as I have not tried it. I was planing to do this or use two spandex suits with foam sandwiched in between them, spray glued to the first suit and then sow the second one around the edges of the foam through the outer suit defining the foam pattern but at the same time it should allow mobility, have not figured out the shoulder or knee area though and I imagine it would be some what warm. I have not started yet but I am planning and gathering at the moment.

Interesting idea but latex paint or foam sandwiched between spandex wouldn't breath well and would be really, really warm. Which when we're already wearing armor that doesn't breath well, might not be best idea... unless you're wearing this costume out in the cold. :)

It'll be tricky to find fabric that'll be comfortable, breath well so you don't overheat and have the perfect screen accurate look. And most of the undersuit gets covered up anyways so getting the right idea that it's also armor underneath can be enough unless people are planning on just walking around in the undersuit (and, heck, if you put that level of detail into it who wouldn't want to?). But we are, after all, a few hundred years behind them in military fabric technology.

...one day...

I think that's a really good idea Crimson, but we would need another way to circulate air through the suit. Not impossible, but definitely on a more expensive path. It would probably be easy to put a bit of positive air pressure through the suit but it would be tough. I think erring on the side of illusion is the key with this suit. Then again I'm talking about the leisure suit. For the undersuit I think you are absolutely right. What about mould silicone? Those "armour bases" on the undersuit could definitely be silicone, latex, or moulded foam. Anything we decide though I bet we could easily jury-rig some kind of cooling system from cheap supplies.

Would anyone be interested in seeing if we can develop a cheap water cooling system? I feel like we could cover more conceptual ground if we split up tasks like cooling, material choice, patterns, reference photos, and other things.

edit: Holy poop, so many replies to the Noob forum this was hard to find eh?? Second page. Woah!

I just ordered a sample of a fabric that I feel will be a good material for the undersuit. It's a stretchable polyester fabric coated with a thin layer of neoprene rubber with a dimpled texture closely resembling the texture of the Spartan IV undersuit. It's primarily intended for nonslip covers for wheelchair seats, or luggage. I ordered a 1' x 1' section of it, so I'll do a few tests and let you all know what I think of it as soon as I get it.

I just ordered a sample of a fabric that I feel will be a good material for the undersuit. It's a stretchable polyester fabric coated with a thin layer of neoprene rubber with a dimpled texture closely resembling the texture of the Spartan IV undersuit. It's primarily intended for nonslip covers for wheelchair seats, or luggage. I ordered a 1' x 1' section of it, so I'll do a few tests and let you all know what I think of it as soon as I get it.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)

Totally subbing to this thread. I've been thinking of how to do an undersuit for sometime myself.

I like the idea of using neoprene, but in my experience, it doesn't breath too well. I was thinking of using a lycra or spandex body suit and using craft foam to detail it. Would be a bit difficult to attach, but I think it would give a good look and could be hella detailed. Also, you could use motocross booties for the foot portion, and again detail them with craft foam, though I think that might be going a bit overboard, as the armor for the boots covers everything.

I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread for ideas. ^_^

-Rex

Look for surf boots, too.

XCEL_5MM_XFLEX_BOOT.jpg

!B6DSmugEWk~$(KGrHqV,!hsEyd!pp40RBMw!-+C(Hw~~_35.JPG

These are just two examples, but if you have a sports related shop nearby, they'll probably have something...

Could you take a breathable, moisture wicking fabric as a base, attach craft foam details and then sew another breathable fabric over top? In essence you would be replicating many of the under armor (not the brand name but the function) products such as mountain biking shorts and the like. Like this...

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/troy-lee-designs-bp4600-hw-padded-shorts.html

Once you stitch lines across a sandwiched pad of craft foam it will create definition and depth where the stitches run. You would have to make sure that there was plenty of space between foam pieces since areas covered by foam will not breathe at all. For the hard areas on the external areas of the suit, you could pursue another method of replicating them and place them in areas where there is breathable space around them. In short, you just have to make sure that there are plenty of areas between detailed pieces where your skin can breathe and keep you cool.

what about placing something like this PE foam sleeve between layers of fabric. Would give some padded look and maybe the hex pattern. It also aids in being breathable. Might be a viable option..

cIB94.jpg

-James-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back