Foam Halo 4 Spartan Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

cha0skn1ght

This will be an attempt at a Halo 4 Rogue build with Mk Vi helmet out of foam. For the helmet, I took the foam files and modified them to look more like the Halo 4 versions. Here is the start:
DSCF7539_zpsd7f1728f.jpg
DSCF7548_zpsb0c0af84.jpg
DSCF7545_zps3a7a28e1.jpg
DSCF7556_zpsa0c27141.jpg
Test fit on an old visor I had
DSCF7560_zps35ea1b1f.jpg
First layer of Mod Podge Sealant
DSC_0004_zps37659007.jpg

Great job with those seems. I usually have to wait till i start using foamies until it looks that good.

I have found that the xacto Z baldes are the absolute best for cutting out the foam. They are amazing.

ok sweet! im about to start my build this next week and im glad to hear that! i subed to the thread and looking good man!:D
Thanks! I found the blades at walmart. I found them at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/X-ACTO-Z-Series-11-Knife-Blades-5pk/21778183. They are easily the best I have ever used for foam. I no longer use my hotknife now either due to these blades.
Thanks for the sub. While the helmet is in this stage of multiple layers of mod podge (for sealing) before plasti dipping, I have started work on an undersuit. I think most everyone would agree that 343 put a lot more emphasis on the undersuit than ever before and it is a large part of the suit. Most like I am just going to do the chest and back as something wearable, but who knows.
More on that tomorrow hopefully...
Also, I need more foam, only have about a 5'x2' section left :eek

have you ever done an undersuit? im new and im pretty terified that my suit will look like trash do you have any preferences or links that would point me in the right direction?

have you ever done an undersuit? im new and im pretty terified that my suit will look like trash do you have any preferences or links that would point me in the right direction?
I have never done one on this scale. I'm not new to building Mjolnir armor and have had an undersuit from each version I've made(Mk.VI,ODST,and Carter's Mk.V from Reach) but it has not been nearly as involved as it is now. I have been tossing around a couple of ideas in regards to the undersuit and I'm not entirely sure on which path I should take.
1st approach: Design a foam"undersuit" that is worn on top of the under armor (spandex) but beneath the actual armor. Kind of like an in between that could actually be part of the armor if I wanted to connect them. This would be covered in a mesh material to give it the "Grid" look the H4 undersuit has. This is the one I am pursuing currently and if I don't like it, I will do approach 2.
2nd approach: Follow this thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39599-Halo-4-Spartan-Foam-build-Pic-heavy-WIP. This guy had an undersuit sewn together for him and it looks pretty freaking good. All the files you need for reference are in this thread as well, in the very first post.
--Update--
Start of the undersuit. My approach is to construct a torso "wrap" so to speak. I am going to finish it down to the cod piece and it will wrap around and connect with the back. At the moment, the shoulder area sticks out too much, at least I think it does, so it will be cut down or rounded off or something. Let me know what you all think.
IMAG0258_zps6a7bc871.jpg
IMAG0257_zpsb3c89fbe.jpg
1st layer of Plastidip
IMAG0260_zps8329e8ee.jpg
IMAG0259_zpsd7e301b1.jpg
IMAG0261_zpsebb2551a.jpg
IMAG0262_zps70fd1771.jpg
More stuff!
IMAG0264_zpsd9fa46ec.jpg
Primed Helmet
IMAG0268_zps35e6c221.jpg
IMAG0267_zpsa1f7ab04.jpg
IMAG0266_zps0b59cd97.jpg
IMAG0265_zpsfa9a606a.jpg
IMAG0269_zps38c27e71.jpg
IMAG0271_zpsa52f3815.jpg

Ran out of image space in the previous post

Here is the almost done foam "undersuit." I kind of took a little bit of my experience from my Mark 7 Iron Man torso to build it and I really like it. Next I need to add the neck attachment, I have to add the texture to it, plastidip, prime, then paint. I know it isn't exactly like the Halo 4 undersuit, but I'm ok with being different. I also know the shoulders go out a little too far. I may still keep it like this because I have full arm movement, or I may cut them off completely, I don't know yet.
Helmet is my old Carter helm from reach launch
DSC_0024_zps13625d27.jpg

DSC_0022_zps0a248856.jpg

Everything is looking good so far buddy :) +1 to sub. So did you figure out how you are going to mount the visor? I posted some pics in your other thread for ya to maybe help out a little. Hope you dont mind.
But i am totally digging the undersuit on this build. How does it feel? like is it hot or anything and how is the mobility??
Keep up the good work

Everything is looking good so far buddy :) +1 to sub. So did you figure out how you are going to mount the visor? I posted some pics in your other thread for ya to maybe help out a little. Hope you dont mind.
But i am totally digging the undersuit on this build. How does it feel? like is it hot or anything and how is the mobility??
Keep up the good work
Nah I don't mind at all, I'm all for sharing for the betterment for all on any of my threads. I can bend around and sit and such, but it feels like a very tight wrap around my torso. It wasn't too hot wearing it but I know when I don the whole suit during the day, I'm going to bake most likely :cool

Well then i guess you might want to install a fan or two in the torso part of the armor lol. That might help who knows :)

Well then i guess you might want to install a fan or two in the torso part of the armor lol. That might help who knows :)
Maybe something in the back where the cooling fans are anyways, just to put some cool air on me. I'll probably just tough it though :)

Looks awesome so far :D Keep up the awesome work :D
Thanks!
It's been awhile since I posted any kind of update. Well, after plastidipping and painting the helmet, it developed this grit texture and I am remaking it. I also started on the torso. More pics to come soon.

Grit texture?? can u show what you mean?
Sorry for the delay. Yeah I can upload some pics in just a bit.
Here are some pics of what I mean:
DSC_0028_zpsc23c81cf.jpg
DSC_0029_zps70d83d81.jpg
DSC_0030_zps1de16bb2.jpg
DSC_0033_zpsf5cb0110.jpg
DSC_0031_zps135af1e7.jpg
DSC_0034_zps293be3ed.jpg
DSC_0035_zps3379f337.jpg
Keep in mind that the foam WAS sealed with mod podge 5x coats before plastidip. I think the can of plastidip I had was bad or something because this never happened before.
I'm going to give this one to my nephew, he's 6 so won't care, for his bday.
New helmet built

DSC_0040_zps2fbf2ff7.jpg
DSC_0037_zps759a08f0.jpg
DSC_0039_zpsbafc4c45.jpg
The old helmet was also warped pretty bad....
DSC_0041_zps7b9d0c91.jpg
Side by side I like the new one more anyways
DSC_0025_zps9724e24f.jpgI have built more on the chest. I'm taking the foam Mk. VI files from Halo 2 & 3 and kind of modifying the outcome to look more like Halo 4. So far, I'm pretty pleased.
DSC_0044_zps1cc173db.jpg
DSC_0047_zpsf0e58138.jpg
DSC_0046_zps41b4428e.jpg

Sorry for the double post but for some reason I couldn't type anything else in the previous one. Anyways, does anyone know if the "grit" texture in the images could be caused by using plastidip when it's too humid? On the can it says avoid direct sunlight and high humidity. I live in AL and it's been rainy for about going on 2 weeks now. My second helmet is showing signs of this "grit" texture too. It's a new can of plastidip, no direct sunlight. It didn't rain yesterday but was still very cloudy and is probably going to rain today.
I have no idea at this point, but I kind of afraid to plastidip anything else.

Update--after searching the web a little--
Some people say that a gritty texture can form if you spray to far away. I was doing light coats 10-12 inches away like the can said. To resolve it, they recommended peeling it off and re plastidipping no more than a few inches away.
any thoughts?

Well im not really sure, maybe try and spray a little closer and test it?? I know that Docdaily said that he didnt like the white plasti-dip because it caused that "grit" texture looking like lots of little acne and whatnot. So he uses the black stuff. Maybe try that too?? Its what i used and i think mine turned out pretty well. You can look at my thread it you want and see for yourself. I dont have to many super closeups though.
Here is the link
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39799-New-and-improved-Rogue-helmet-and-armor-(eventually)-W-I-P

I used white on the first one and black on the second. The second helmet did it just a little bit, but I'm think it had to do with the distance more than anything. My local walmart stopped carrying the black and only has white now and I have to drive about 30 minutes to get black, so I'm going to test the white out on some scrap pieces and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back