Foam Halo 4 Spartan Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that sucks :-( Sorry to hear that you have to drive so far to get it. I hope that the white works for you to save the drive.

Im actually thinking about redoing my helmet as well. The more i look at it the more the warpage bugs me lol

So, I tested the white plastidip out on regular foam, foam with mod podge liquid (like the glue bottle you paint on), and mod podge aerosol.... With each test, tons of these little air bubbles dotted every test piece. Tried from different distances, different thickness of coats, etc,etc... didn't matter.
The first helmet I made had the white crap on it... I mean it was still smooth feeling, just had all these little micro bubbles like the test pieces. I guess in the end it messed it up...
I'm scrapping this torso for a new one. Either recon or rogue I think. I really want to do rogue, I just don't know how great I am at scratch building since there isn't a pep file out there for it.
Scratch build of Rogue chest started
IMAG0285_zps5d55c76b.jpg
More of the progress
IMAG0287_zpsfb372b0f.jpg
sleep time now. Will hopefully finish the chest tomorrow.
IMAG0288_zps1fd8c862.jpg
Getting more done
IMAG0290_zps0017d79b.jpg

Front of the Rogue chest complete! I am actually really proud of it for my first real scratch build. I know there are some imperfections but overall I am very pleased. Let me know what you all think :)
IMAG0291_zpsbc1ec7c7.jpg
-- accidental double post.....

The scratch build of the chest looks great! Keep it up. Sorry to see you had troubles with the helmet, if I see anything that might explain the problem you were having with plasti dip I'll let you know. I havent worked with foam yet so all that is still unexplored territory for me.

Can't wait to see how this turns out though.

well lame to hear about the white plastidip. but the chest looks awesome!
Yeah, the white stuff is just weird. I don't know why anyone would use it on anything. Maybe it's just a bad batch all together? who knows. Thanks for the compliment, you're too kind.
The scratch build of the chest looks great! Keep it up. Sorry to see you had troubles with the helmet, if I see anything that might explain the problem you were having with plasti dip I'll let you know. I havent worked with foam yet so all that is still unexplored territory for me.

Thanks! I can't wait to keep building. Tonight I'm going to start on the back and pray it looks as good as the front.
PS, Foam is a great thing to get into. You will give up a more fine level of detail for mobility and flexibility. It's worth it in my opinion because the only person that may scrupulously inspect your armor is you. When I am walking around cons in armor, I just get stopped a lot for pics. No one really stares at my armor and goes, "Hey, you're missing detail in this area." lol

Update time
-First layer and Visor fit. I need to do something with the space between the bottom of the visor and the helmet. Maybe the 2mm foam.
IMAG0297_zpse4ea8cbb.jpg
basic shape of the back
IMAG0299_zpsd0a25ea2.jpg
Update 8/21
I didn't do anything yesterday because I played halo for 4 hours straight after work :)
I have gotta kick into high gear to be done before Sept. 27!! That's just over a month away!!!!!!!!!!

So did you end up using black plasti-dip for the first layer, or is that the color of the plasti-dip lol? The helmet looks good, and yeah maybe try the 2mm craft foam for the gap, it will probably work out pretty good :)

So did you end up using black plasti-dip for the first layer, or is that the color of the plasti-dip lol? The helmet looks good, and yeah maybe try the 2mm craft foam for the gap, it will probably work out pretty good :)
I got the black stuff. The pic is the helmet with it's first layer of paint. Currently the helmet has 2 layers of paint and a clear coat. I think I am going to see what it looks like all glossy before I make a decision on if I want it flat or glossy. Since it's my multiplayer spartan, I'm 100% ok with it being shiny. Also, for the visor I am going to print out a hex pattern on a window decal sheet and just apply it straight to the visor. I think it'll work great and save a lot of time trying to make a hex pattern on the visor.
Thanks for staying interested!
Update-- This was just a sample pattern I found online and what I will do is open it in photoshop and remove all the white spaces so that it doesn't print a color(everywhere you see white won't have any color so it'll be clear). Then I will print on a transparent window decal sheet and stick it to the visor.
hex_zps499ef7b1.jpg

I want to do a full rogue suit? Did you just eyeball the chest and go for it? Or was there a foam file?

Can't wait to see how that decal goes with the visor! Helm is looking great by the way :)
Well I should have taken a pic of it.... It could be made to work, but I am looking for easy. The problem is I couldn't get the decal to lay flat against the curvature of the visor. I believe I could've cut the decal into strips and it would've worked, but that would almost defeat the purpose of doing it easy. Instead I did go the painting route. I had an old gym laundry bag that had a pretty small hex pattern to it so I flattened it out over the visor and painted it. here is the pic.
IMAG0307_zps540c8146.jpg
I'm pretty happy with it. Phone pic = not best quality. Plus the paint "splashed" a little bit where it shouldn't have. may or may not try to clean it up.
IMAG0308_zps9385611b.jpg
I want to do a full rogue suit? Did you just eyeball the chest and go for it? Or was there a foam file?
I wish there was a file for it. I used the Rogue images that are out there along with having my xbox on for references. It's all free hand.
Some Higher def pics
DSC_0170_zpsd5b130d4.jpg
along with 1 of my dogs
DSC_0169_zps3832d60e.jpg

I totally understand what you are saying about the decal not laying flat over the curved surface, always very hard to apply like that. It's good that you tried though, there's nothing like diving right in and doing something new. The old gym bag actually worked quite nicely, lucky find for sure, it looks great to me. I'm about to sit down and figure out my plan of attack for my visor right now.

I totally understand what you are saying about the decal not laying flat over the curved surface, always very hard to apply like that. It's good that you tried though, there's nothing like diving right in and doing something new. The old gym bag actually worked quite nicely, lucky find for sure, it looks great to me. I'm about to sit down and figure out my plan of attack for my visor right now.
Im pretty happy with it myself :) Now I'm working on the back some more
DSC_0171_zps4f62e878.jpg
DSC_0172_zps30f294b6.jpg
DSC_0173_zps775e6265.jpg
DSC_0175_zps760718dd.jpg
So far I'm not as fond with the back as I am the front but it is coming along nicely. I think it'll turn out pretty good :)

I'm thinking about trying to smooth out the helmet with mod podge and another coat of plastidip. I feel like there are too many rough edges that could be helped with a couple more coats of mod podge. I think I will do this today and post more pics later. I used the aerosol mod podge to see well it sealed the foam and I don't think I like it as much as the paint on stuff. So I will use the mod podge glue instead of the aerosol can.

Too bad about the visor decal. The only problem with doing it the way you did it is that, in the game, the part that is frosted is the lines rather than the hexes. But that would be a pain to mask; so I can't blame you for taking the route you did. Still looks pretty nice.

Overall, not too shabby so far. Keep it up!

Too bad about the visor decal. The only problem with doing it the way you did it is that, in the game, the part that is frosted is the lines rather than the hexes. But that would be a pain to mask; so I can't blame you for taking the route you did. Still looks pretty nice.

Overall, not too shabby so far. Keep it up!
Yeah I know, I wanted to look for something that was easy that still looked good. I like the way the visor turned out for the most part. My only issue is there is some "splash" around the painted area that shouldn't be there. I could probably take a cue tip and clean it up, but that will be after the armor is completed.
And yes, that would've been a huge pain in the rear to do!

Pretty big update for the back. The "fins" are a too tall, but I'm ok with that.
IMAG0309_zps73c8e82a.jpg
IMAG0310_zps4790c738.jpg
IMAG0311_zps96c994ff.jpg
IMAG0313_zps12395668.jpg
and the wife's makeup below
IMAG0315_zpsf75b0d31.jpg
IMAG0318_zps9d4c2058.jpg
IMAG0319_zpsd791a5c5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back