Converting .pdo to be 3d printable? Halo Wars Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will br editing one for 3d printing soon its on my favorite helmets list haha but I've got lots of other stuff I'm working on so it might be for a while ^_^

That would be incredible! If you let me in on how you do it I might could help with the rest of the armor, as I'm looking to print the whole suit!

This is actually an awesome question because I was asking the same thing about a month ago. So here's the gist of how I been doing it...

1. Take your .pdo file and convert it to an .obj file. I used pepakura designer to do this.
2. Edit the .obj file in a 3d program. I've been using Blender.
3. Export the finished .obj file into an .stl file for 3d printing.
4. Print yourself or send out to be printed.

Easier said then done right? It honestly is. I've been trying to to build the locus helmet for awhile now and I HATE cuting out pepakura (No offense to anyone who does! I commend your patience). Having owned a 3d printer for a few years now, printing helmets just seemed to be the obvious choice. So my method involves taking a pepakura (.pdo) file and working on it in blender to add detail and cut it up into printable sections. I currently have portions of it printing now, just waiting to see what I need to alter and fix. It's a very time consuming project. I've always heard about blender and had no idea of how to use it. I primarily use Solidworks. My best suggestion is find a program to edit .obj files, practice with it, and see what other people are doing to build similar projects. I do highly recommend Blender. It has a bit of learning curve but once you learn the fundamentals of the program it does some pretty amazing stuff. Plus it's free!

I know this is just the broad the strokes but I hope it's helpful. I'm planning on doing a tutorial of how I did the Locus helmet so keep an eye out in the near future. Good luck with your future build!

73!

Yeah It's pretty much what Fudz073 said i find smoothing while trying to keep the detail pretty hard try use meshlab or meshmixer blender for this then cut in netflabb make sure you've scaled it before you split it up :)

Hey there everyone, I'm looking to print the Halo Wars (Mark IV) helmet. There is this file in the archive:

http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=585

, but I have no idea how to make it able to be 3d printed. Does this file exist, or can anyone point me in the right direction? I have no 3d modelling experience, so I can't create my own.

I really appreciate any help!

Hey there! So there are actually a couple models that exist that are extremely high detail, and 3d print ready! I have something I can send, as well as a tutorial that was posted on here a few years ago to convert a basic .pdo into a 3d printable model. If you like, please shoot me an email at mkshane81@gmail.com , and I would be more than happy to send you everything that I have!

-Matt

Thank you very much everyone for your replies! Very awesome community, haven't been on here in a while but I'm glad to see it's epic as ever.

I would very much suggest using mkshane's ; but for future reference, here's how to thicken a pep model...

1: export obj. file in pepakura

2: import obj. to rhino

3: in rhino, type command "offset mesh"

4: click the model you'd like like to thicken

5: click the checkbox that says "solid"

6: split your model and import it into your slicer for printing

hope this helps!!!

Sweet! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there! So there are actually a couple models that exist that are extremely high detail, and 3d print ready! I have something I can send, as well as a tutorial that was posted on here a few years ago to convert a basic .pdo into a 3d printable model. If you like, please shoot me an email at mkshane81@gmail.com , and I would be more than happy to send you everything that I have!

-Matt
Emailsent!

Heh, for what it's worth, THIS is coming your way soon anyhow and free for all here on 405th too.

helmet MKIV.jpg

A little thingy, created by Carterbuilder12 and meant as a little present to the 405th from my side. ETA somewhere next week last time I heard. :D

Also, out of general principle, all models I'll do myself/convert myself/commission myself will always be full access to everyone here at 405th for free.
Power to the people and all that. :D

whoo hooo!!!!

that bad boy looks awesome!

Oh, man... I hope there's more guns and props... that would be REALLY great.:lol I'd like to see a high-res assault rifle with detachable scopes on here someday...

Hrmmm... maybe eventually we'll see one:)

no...waitaminute!...NO?! are you accusing me? I have no idea what you're talking about:rolleyes. Now, PLEASE hear my pleas of mercy and let me out of your evil interrogation room, or i'll end up like that cat in your avatar:cry!

Heh, we'll see soon what's in store.

Probably not, but I know something neither of you do... ;)

I don't doubt that for a second. :D In fact, you did hint "something's up" at least once already, maybe more.

And don't fear Trevor, "that cat" is still very much alive and kicking. It was pure self defense what you see in that picute. He's the grandfather of all Kilrathi for all I know. :D

Probably not, but I know something neither of you do... ;)

yeah, gonna agree with Kris on that matter... I'm sure all will be revealed in good time. :)it's just a matter of when- or when we run out of patience and threaten to assassinate you in warzone firefight and FORCE you to give us the files!! :angrybwahahah! I have revealed my EVIL plan!:lol and yet, there is another evil plan! I shall release the headcrabs on all of you and join the com-bine forces!...as soon as I destroy Gordon Freeman in HL3 whenever it is released -if ever-. (just kidding about the Gordon Freeman part, I would never destroy freeman:D.)

This is actually an awesome question because I was asking the same thing about a month ago. So here's the gist of how I been doing it...

1. Take your .pdo file and convert it to an .obj file. I used pepakura designer to do this.
2. Edit the .obj file in a 3d program. I've been using Blender.
3. Export the finished .obj file into an .stl file for 3d printing.
4. Print yourself or send out to be printed.

Easier said then done right? It honestly is. I've been trying to to build the locus helmet for awhile now and I HATE cuting out pepakura (No offense to anyone who does! I commend your patience). Having owned a 3d printer for a few years now, printing helmets just seemed to be the obvious choice. So my method involves taking a pepakura (.pdo) file and working on it in blender to add detail and cut it up into printable sections. I currently have portions of it printing now, just waiting to see what I need to alter and fix. It's a very time consuming project. I've always heard about blender and had no idea of how to use it. I primarily use Solidworks. My best suggestion is find a program to edit .obj files, practice with it, and see what other people are doing to build similar projects. I do highly recommend Blender. It has a bit of learning curve but once you learn the fundamentals of the program it does some pretty amazing stuff. Plus it's free!

I know this is just the broad the strokes but I hope it's helpful. I'm planning on doing a tutorial of how I did the Locus helmet so keep an eye out in the near future. Good luck with your future build!

73!

Is there a way to convert the .pdo to .obj without using pepakura? It requires a license and I'm not sure I'm quite comfortable spending $38 on a program that I'll probably only use once.

Is there a way to convert the .pdo to .obj without using pepakura? It requires a license and I'm not sure I'm quite comfortable spending $38 on a program that I'll probably only use once.

Afraid not. That said, we have raw OBJ versions of most PDO files in the Archive already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back