H3 Master Chief Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

So today, i got a nice big box from Thorssoli! Got everything so far except for the torso and forearm pieces. I feel alot of it will fit me alright, considering I'm a big guy. The only issue that I'm going to have as of now is modifying the thigh armor to be able to slide onto my leg, as I can't get it past my calf/knee at the moment.
Other than that, just need to do alot of grinding and sanding. The lower legt armor should fit no problem after awhile of grinding. So here it is as of now!

SAM_0092.jpg

SAM_0094.jpg

SAM_0093.jpg

It's going to need alot of modification in the thigh pieces and I'm most likely going to have to extend the sides of the cod/space diaper to get all around me. Other wise, everything else appears to be sized well for me!

-TC

A pretty penny, PM me if you really want to know. I don't like to talk about maker's prices on threads openly :/

Yea, I am currently having some issues at the moment. His stuff is sized for someone my height (6'6" or around this) However, for skinnier people. I'm not fat, but I'm not skinny either, and I cannot seem to get the thigh armor up past my knee at this time. I've grinded down the inside of the ring as much as I can without compramising the structural integrity and my last option is to cut the outer portion off and extend it out a bit. The thing about that is I'm worried about how strong it will be after I make the modification, and on top of that, I have to wait until the next shipment to recieve the foam inserts for the inner part of the thigh pieces to see how much room I do have to play with when I do extend it out. I know the piece fits me right, just need to make the ring a bit wider to get it on...I also went ahead and started work on one of the calf/lower leg. I can get my leg into it, but the lower portion on the inside sticks/crimps inward and prevents my foot from getting through the bottom hole...I'm probably going to have to make a removable section on them as well :/

This is getting frustrating...

You could do a magnet mod. Make a section of the shin remove via magnets (same with the thigh) and then have it lock into place with a lock on the inside to keep it from detaching when you shift your legs.

halpfortuba.png

Try to leave 1/4" or something there. I can't draw with MS Paint. >__>

Yea, I've cut that ring down to where I'm able to get my foot through it, however, that's not the part hinderig me. Look at the side profile of the lower leg armor, and look around the ankle portion. Just below the curve of the "calf" is a crimped/indented portion where the faux buckles are located. Right there, on the inside, is where I can't get my foot past just becuase it's too narrow. I can't grind the inside for I most likely will put a hole through it, ruining the detail.

I'm going to see about where I can cut it and successfully make it a clam shell of some kind. However, since I cannot do these kinds of extensive mods where I am currently, this project, for the most part, is on hold for at least 4-5 more months....

:/

-TC

my friend had that exact same problem, he couldnt get his heel through the actual shin, i suggested cutting the back part off at the bottom of the shin and connecting it back when you put your foot through, like the odst shins (except not in half down the middle of the shin). but then you could ruin the detail.. in the end he sanded it down and rondoed it to make it smooth and just slipped his heel through. not sure what would work for yours though. i can only see that cutting it into 2 pieces then using some kind of system to hold them together when you wear it it. stretchy straps maybe?

nat

my friend had that exact same problem, he couldnt get his heel through the actual shin, i suggested cutting the back part off at the bottom of the shin and connecting it back when you put your foot through, like the odst shins (except not in half down the middle of the shin). but then you could ruin the detail.. in the end he sanded it down and rondoed it to make it smooth and just slipped his heel through. not sure what would work for yours though. i can only see that cutting it into 2 pieces then using some kind of system to hold them together when you wear it it. stretchy straps maybe?

nat

Cross posting this, as it covers my solution, thank you for your help!

This morning, I went back to look at the pieces. I've come up with some ways to work on this and make it work out. First off, I can't do the Thigh's until I get the inserts.

For the calf/lower leg, I've determined my best option is to cut the front, lower portion of the shin, and make it removable. This would allow me to put it on, and the re-attach the seperation piece. I'm considering using some strong rare earth metal magnets for this. I chose this portion because it's not only the part with significantly less detail, but is also the thickess and would be structurly sound in the end. It's going to leave a small seam line, but it's my best option.

I've reviewed the belt/butt plate. Turns out that it might be alright for my size. After looking at some reference, its only supposed to cover so much of a particular area, and it seems to do so based on what I've seen after looking over it again. I'm still going to have to extend the sides though, and I think I've found the solution.

If I can get the clamps, adhesives and what not, I'll begin with this build...

In other news, I recieved the accurate gun metal paint, and got around to painting the upper portion of the AR. I'm going to get pics up as soon as I can tonight.
\-TC

I've sized my leg pieces to fit a variety of folks, but they get tricky towards the extreme ends of the spectrum. I'm 5'6" and I'm really the smallest guy they'll fit. It looks like you're the other end for the leg parts.

I don't mean to insult you 'cause you've probably already thought of this, but have you tried slipping the shins on sideways and then turning them to face forward? This seems to be the only way a couple of my buddies are able to get them on. If that doesn't work, you can always just cut the back of the ankle section off with a coping saw (or a jeweler's saw) and work out a way to strap it or snap it back together. If you'd like, I've got some castings of just the faux buckles that might help to cover the seam. I can add them in with your next box of stuff when I ship it. That way you can cut through them or remove them or use them as part of your attachment system if you separate the back of the ankle.

As far as the insides of the thighs go, I'd suggest you cut them out so that they're notched like I did when I stretched out my undersized Ironman helmet a while ago:
4620435627_f5f9d6149e_z.jpg

This way, you've got a ready-made system of guide points to make sure you realign the pieces correctly:
4620435697_a5a038f345_o.jpg

To make sure you have a strong bond when you rejoin the pieces, I'd suggest sanding the backside, washing the parts with soapy water, and then gluing them together again with an epoxy adhesive (or backing with fiberglass if you feel like making a bigger mess). Don't count on bondo alone for strength. Bondo's plenty strong by itself, but the bond might not hold up very well if you put any strain on it (people don't tend to pull against body work on their cars).

I'd recommend the same cutting and splicing method if you want to widen the buttplate.

Hopefully this will help. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm subscribing to this thread. I love seeing people put together my pieces.

So here's the AR. Unfortunatly, the camera I was borrowing from has horrible image quality. I was actually thinking about getting one of these cameras since their "Hale Proof" (inside joke) so I apologize for the horrible images, but these are the best ones out of about 50 I could manage to get

DSCF1083.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

I started to notice that on the topside seam, the paint is reacting with whatever filler was used, and isn't cured completly. I did just buff the newly painted areas using my palm to create some heat, and the gunmetal area has a very subtle sheen going on now, but I'm probably going to be going over that area once I get my mouse sander shipped here..

-TC

Ok, got myself a somewhat cheap, but good camera. I started today with the mods for the thigh, and for the lower leg..unfortunatly, the issue with cordless dremels is that they die right when you don't want them to, so I'm going to have to wait to finish cutting the piece off of the lower leg.
So what I just did today was seperate the ring portion of the thigh and started to extend it by using the some JB quick putty (same kind of thing as the "green to white technology" but stronger) When I get it closer to where it will be wide enough, I'm going to start prepping it to attach the seperated piece. I'll then be using strips of plastic to overlap the insides of both sides, and use some plastic welder and fill in the gaps, sand and finish off.

005.jpg

Also, here are BETTER pics of the AR

001.jpg

003.jpg

As you can see in this pic, where the seam line is, there is something that reacted with the paint. It's retained the silver fine, but the gunmetal didn't so well. It's dry, but can feel tacky to the touch...I'll need to fix this..(sorry for the messy room)

004.jpg

-TC

Ok, so here's how I cut the calf piece. I did the cuts gradually, to try and not over-cut what I needed..however, that part of the plan didn't work completly out lol Needless to say, I have several small parts that need to re-attached to a larger whole. However, this means I know exactly what to cut, and to leave it all as is so that one will remain one complete section

Here ya go. I was walking around wearing it for a good amount of time. The thing fits me perfectly (still uncomfortable at the moment from rough plastic) and should be no problem getting to work out as it should.

001-1.jpg

002.jpg

So here you can see all the pieces that need to be re-attached, filled and cleaned up.

005-1.jpg

Debating how I want to utilize the magnets with the faux buckles though. Kept these intact fortunatly, gotta think on it...

-TC

Ok, so here's the paint test, if not, I'll leave it as is. I might touch it up with some silver acrylic down the road though. Anyways, I'm not going to really weather the costume too much, since the actual game model only really has minimal weathering and the most being on the dented portion of the chest piece. I might however, might be going for a "Anouncement trailer" masterchief, which has just a bit more weathering on it.

I'm actually quite pleased with the color, it has the color shifting qualities that the game has in different lighting. The first pic, is more brown where the second pic shows it to be more green.

009.jpg

010.jpg

-TC

Looking good! Can't wait to see this finished. Btw, go for the announcement trailer version of Master Chief. Its the best version.

Looking good! Can't wait to see this finished. Btw, go for the announcement trailer version of Master Chief. Its the best version.

That's what I'm thinking, cause that trailer is what really got me wanting to get jump started with this project. He appears more "epic" in the trailer than any other version...however, that means significantly less reference :'(

Got a really beat up package. I see the mail gods showed it no mercy, but failed lol

002-1.jpg

Going to be doing some minor mods, I'm going for the H3 trailer style. Fits me perfectly!
Already planning on using the HCH Kevlar padding system since they sell them by the dozen here..

Got some trimming done...along with some plastic dust in my pizza lol

004-1.jpg

It slips on comfortably now. I just need to get the padding in there so I can start adjusting and playing around with it as well as get some sanding files to clean up the corners and such. Really need my mouse sander though. I'm gonna be lining up the bottom of my chin close to the "nose" portion of the helmet. This will help add height as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back