Greeny building...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah building it in two sections, really helps, like you said by making it more manageable. My bondo looks crumbly in that some of those as I hadn't yet sanded it down in a few pictures. As wel no area is complete finished off, everywhere I have done is needing sanded with a lighter grit, only used 80 so far.

So here we go, 3rd day of my build (well 2 and a bit hours before bedtime :))

Basically finished off the back. Here is a picture where I'm just trying to figure out if I've gone too large this time:
Trial fit.jpg

I'd say its slightly larger then it should be but only just. The helmet sits too much forward in this image and then the visor would come inward a bit and with some padding inside she's probably got something she can use for a year after the suit is finished (I hope to get a long way by the end of the year, maybe get lucky and have something she can wear for EBGames. Famous last words....)

Pretty happy with where I got to at the end:
End of Day 3-1.jpgEnd of Day 3-2.jpg

Next up is one side of the helmet. I'm hoping to do one A4 each night I can work on it...

I'd say its slightly larger then it should be but only just. The helmet sits too much forward in this image and then the visor would come inward a bit and with some padding inside she's probably got something she can use for a year after the suit is finished (I hope to get a long way by the end of the year, maybe get lucky and have something she can wear for EBGames. Famous last words....)

Dont worry. i started from the top and back too and it looked huge. Continuing now, it looks pretty regular. Dont worry about it just yet :p
Happy to see how it is working out for you!
Cheers!
PS: if you need some halo/destiny/general music for motivation just tell me.

Okay, end of day/evening 4....

Worked on the side of the helmet and oh boy, this was by far the most difficult piece yet:
Left side.jpg

Attaching it to the rest of the helmet was a lot harder then I thought but I think I got it in the end. Once the glue is dry I'll have to push and pull a few more difficult places into a bit better shape but I'm pretty happy by the end result. Had to prop up the other side as with the left being so much heavier not then the right, its warping the helmet:
End of Day 4-1.jpgEnd of day 4-2.jpg

As my daughter couldn't really help me much with this part of the build I printed out pages for the COD and set her to cutting those out. They are fairly large and simple pieces and she did pretty well with scissors. I'll add more detail on those when we progress further, she has one more A4 to cut. One mistake I made is that somehow I managed to turn the edge numbers off (or it wasn't on and I didn't pay attention). The other is that time will tell if I got the size right :)
Bags of COD pieces.jpg

It is looking very good so far. It is always great for families to get into this together. I love the days when my husband and I can sit down and work together on pieces. We consider them date days.

No real update for today, we didn't have much time tonight. We spend an hour or so working on the COD piece that my daughter cut out and started folding and glued some of the first pieces together. She made a few small but rectifiable mistakes. I'm using Brian McClains files from the HALO reach files thread. So far it looks like I might have just missed out on a CM in scaling it, not bad for a first try:)

That brings me to an interesting question that I'm not sure where best to get the answer too. When I switch between male and female armor in HALO reach I see minor detail changes to the suit. What are the differences between the two and are the female version of the armor available somewhere?

End of day 5 working on the helmet.

Found a few hours tonight to do the right side of the helmet:
Right side.jpg

And this is how far I am so far:
End of Day 5.jpg

Almost weekend and I hope to finish the bottom/front part and this step of the build is done.. That is... if I don't find out I've made it too large.... :)

For the female reach files I would check the file archive. If it exists it's probably there. The helmet looks great so far! Scaling problems are the worst tho. The moment you realize that all your hard work has gone to waste is terrible. On a more positive note, this one will probably be the right size. If it's a bit too big you can always add some extra padding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the female reach files I would check the file archive. If it exists it's probably there. The helmet looks great so far! Scaling problems are the worst tho. The moment you realize that all your hard work has gone to waste is terrible. On a more positive note, this one will probably be the right size. If it's a bit too big you can always add some extra padding.

There is a nice thread for female armor but its mostly stuff that has been altered for looks. In the official reach files thread there seem to be a few female chest pieces which looked ok but I had issues downloading them, might try again tonight. But other then a few helmet for specific female characters in the game I haven't really found good info on what parts I should change.

I game switching between male and female characters there doesn't seem to be a big change between the armor anyway.

Some more work on the COD:
Linsey glueing.jpgMore glueing.jpgCOD attempt 1 nearly done.jpg

Unfortunately, now that we put it together, it is to small but only just. I misjudged it by a 1 to 1.5 cms. I've already rescaled it so we can start again but giving me a little extra space as she'll have grown a bit by the time we'll be done.

The only thing that's holding me back ripping back into this one is that I may look around for a slightly better design. Pieces on this one didn't really fit all too well together.

all my cods o wait i havent finished one yet but keep looking or just change the scale on the model

You know, its weird. You started about a week after me and you are WAAYYY further than me on my recon build (i think). I mean, i am barely finishing the bottom layer of my helmet at the moment and although ive chosen what pieces im going to use i have neither scaled nor found the files for the pieces such as the cod and thighs.
Oh welp!
At least i can still blame it on exams right?
Amazing progress so far and its trully heartwarming seeing a father-daughter relationship like this!
Cheers

Sword Breaker,

The HALO reach official file thread in the pepakura subforum contains all the links to the models I've been using. Way at the top there is a download for a full Reach suit though I've used a more detailed helmet which is further down below. Its a great place to start.

As for scaling, its part educated guess, part getting lucky, so far.. I'm lucky in a sense that my daughter is still growing and thus getting it too large isn't as big a deal as getting it to small. If I was building the helmet for myself I would now be redoing it slightly smaller but for my daughter I'll just add a bit of extra padding.

As for going faster, the paper stage is just a matter of spending hours and sticking with it. I've been spending 2 to 3 hours before bedtime every night this week. And offcourse the COD was 90% done by my daughter, I really only helped with sticking the more difficult parts together. Also the COD is a very very very simple build as there is hardly any detail to it, I'm guessing the idea is to get the basic underlying shape and add detail later on. I'll be redoing it over the weekend in a larger scale while my daughter is having a sleep over at a friends, I'm pretty sure I can rebuild it in a couple of hours.

I'm pretty sure that once I'm at the bondo stage things will slow down dramatically :)

And day 6....

Another hour or two I've managed to squize in today. My daughter test fitting what we've done so far:
Trial fit 2.jpg

And one more A4 cut out, folded and stuck onto the helmet:
End of Day 6.jpg

We're about 85% through the pepakura stage now.. I hope to find another two or three hours tomorrow to cut out the next A4 and we should be starting to see the finish line for this part of the build:)

Just a quick question I'm hoping someone who's already build a helmet could answer. So far I've been planning to build the helmet leaving the visor out so I don't have to cut it out later but I'm rethinking that strategy as I'm afraid it will increase the changes of the helmet warping during the resin stage. Valid worry, or is leaving a hole for the visor this early on in the process indeed a good idea?

Just a quick question I'm hoping someone who's already build a helmet could answer. So far I've been planning to build the helmet leaving the visor out so I don't have to cut it out later but I'm rethinking that strategy as I'm afraid it will increase the changes of the helmet warping during the resin stage. Valid worry, or is leaving a hole for the visor this early on in the process indeed a good idea?

I'd leave the paper visor in, without it the resin/fiberglass could seriously warp the helmet without proper support.

^^beat me to it :)^^

Anyways, I would also say put the visor in. Unless you have a lot of supports around the visor, its better to play it safe by having the visor in. The visor will help keep the general shape of the helmet. Who knows, you may want to vacuum form the visor at a later time.

The helmet is looking pretty good. Keep it up!

Pep work looks really good. I would imagine it takes a while. Are you doing any of this freehanded?
After destroying a couple of plastic rulers I started doing most cutting freehand. I found it surprisingly easy to get the cuts straight. I did end up buying a metal ruler for making sure longer edges are straight.

So far I've only had a few small areas where the folds weren't clear enough of where I cut slightly wrong and things are slightly out of alignment but I've found paper very forgiving to with. The round things at the sides have so far proven the most challenging:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back