halo 3 hunter 10' tall

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I couldn't stand just letting a pile of paper just sit uncut. So here is the right thigh!

20160112_191215.jpg

20160112_191204.jpg

20160112_191134.jpg

20160112_190902.jpg

So with the way thing are looking the suits waist is going to be around 68" tall. Which should make the whole hunter about 10'6" when I am standing fully upright. When in a fighting stance I should be around 9'. "This thing is going to be sooooo cool!!" Quoted by my son:)

Don't get me wrong : I'm in awe and I'm humbled when I see what kind of stuff gets created on this forum on nearly every build I see, even the so-called simple ones, as every single one of the builds I've seen is a celebration of the fact that even with very simple means great things can be achieved if you put your heart in it.

But THIS one, man, not sure if I have to envy you or pitty you. :D . Incredible stuff. PS : listen to your son, he KNOWS. :thumbsup

I do have some concerns about being able to walk in a stable manner once this suit is ready. High gravity point ect.

Thank you, and ya am totally loving this build. The first thing I built was my son's helmet, and it was a pain in the butt. It wasn't even a super high definition build, but all those tiny little prices were hard to glue together. So this hunter build is nice and easy, bigger parts makes a huge difference when assembling. As for the stability issue, I will be custom building a stilt system.

I see.

Hm.

Not looking to be a killjoy/smarta** or whatever here, but from a pure technical point of view, in retrospect wouldn't it have made more sense to start with the stilt system and build the rest around it?

Unless you already have build up some experience with such systems, getting it right can be a pain in the .... you know even with just the load of a human.

I know because I've once tried to help somebody with a stilt system of 50cm -not cosplay related-, so roughly 1.5 foot high several years ago.
It was a very bumpy road and in the end we needed a lot of help from people with auto-mechanics backgrounds to make it halfway safe.
Long story short : it worked, but the end result in terms of dimensions, even the way it worked were totally different from what we had in mind in the early stages.

As the stilts will be essentially the foundation of the whole armor, my gut feeling would be it's easier to adapt the suit to the stilts than vice versa.

I also seem to remember having seen a similar idea somewhere in an Elite build, and the stilts as a project took a complete life of their own there too if I'm not mistaken.

(not looking to pull the legs from beneath your chai... euh ... Hunter, like everybody I'm sure I'm totally rooting for you as when this is done, it will be nothing short of spectacular).

It looks like you've got the sizing right! Great job!

I'm curious as to what kind of system you plan on using to make it so the Hunter can stand upright and have the ability to crouch. Jeremie and I built our Hunter so it's legs were always crouched so we didn't exhaust ourselves trying to change between the two. The Hunters have a very wide stance when they crouch into "combat mode" so crouching that low in stilts is not humanly possible...

I'm probably getting annoying with this, but I highly recommend you go the EVA route on this one just because of personal experience. Once you've built the whole Hunter and you have all the parts hanging off of your body, you won't want to be wearing it for long. I know a person with a to-scale Jorge suit had a rough time wearing it because it was made from fiberglass and weighed roughly 100 lbs without the added backpack and giant machine gun. Hunters are twice the size of Jorge.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, I'm just looking out for your safety and comfort. :)

No one's beating a dead horse, or being a kill joy. Just trust me guys. Building a set of stilts for this suit will not be rocket science, and crouching in stilts is not hard to do. The stilts that I am use to working in have horrible mobility, matter of fact they are primarily designed for just standing and limited walking. When they are set at 30" I can spread my stance out and pick up a pencile off the floor and then stand back up. That is something that I will NOT be doing when I have the hunter suit on. My goal is to keep the suit as close to scale as possible, and luckily it's damn big. So I have lots of room in the shins and boots to coordinate a stilt system into. Like I have said in my other post, I have been in the construction industry for 20 years and there is not much that I haven't built or can not build. So again, trust me guys.

As or the bulky and weight issue. Ya it's going to be a bit heavy, but if I am careful when I do the glassing and not use bondo, I should be able to keep it at a manageable weight. Bulky, well that's inevitable. I am planning on positioning my legs to the inside edges of the thighs and shins. This will help with the stance, but I am fully expecting to feel like I have ridden a horse all day. But no pain no gain!

I do really appreciate the concerns about comfort and safety. So thank you, and I promise I won't break my neck when I finish it. :)

It sounds to me that you have a lot of experience with stilts and have a good plan for what you want to achieve.

"I'm just a witness"

So here are the giant hunter panties! ;) I had to add a bunch of bracing to keep the shape right.

20160116_181946.jpg

20160116_182008.jpg

20160116_182032.jpg

Tomorrow I will be working on the left shoulder and fore arm.

Well here is half of the left fore arm. This piece has been a bit of a pain so far. I should have it done tomorrow evening after work.

20160119_223551.jpg

I work construction and right now it is the slow season for me. So when I am not out on a job, I am sitting down at my kitchen island and cutting parts. For as big as that fore arm is there is a ton of small parts in it. Something like 60 pieces. That is almost as bad as my son's helmet.

Man, I have been watching you on that build, and my hat is off to you! Your pep work is amazing. I think I would go crazy thinking about the amount of pieces you are going to have in the whole suit. Looking good though.

Off topic, but that is one sweet octopus platter!

Why not head into the right forearm? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back