Schankerz' First Halo Reach Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also just realized, 50 posts!!! Only 22 days now until that New Recruit title says goodbye! (Yes I've been counting)

Congrats! I am planning a post very similar to this when I hit that milestone myself. You're not the only one counting, my friend!

So I had this crazy thought after reading your recent posts. I have the opposite problem of being not incredibly tall, so in light of looking for solutions, I wonder if it would be inadvisable to design boots to add a few inches of height. Or would that be cheating? :p

So I had this crazy thought after reading your recent posts. I have the opposite problem of being not incredibly tall, so in light of looking for solutions, I wonder if it would be inadvisable to design boots to add a few inches of height. Or would that be cheating? :p

Not at all. I'm 6'4", and I'm even boosting my height a bit. I have 2 or 3 layers of eva foam on the bottom of my boots, which along with shoes, and a helmet, should put me around 6'10". I think it looks good too, when you add to the sole of your shoes/boots.

Looks super good so far!

I'm actually really curious to see how this turns out, as I am also 6' 7" and think it would be sweet to have a suit for halloween and events and stuff. It's pretty close to chief's actual height, so I think it would be a pretty intimidating effect. I've just never gotten around to it.

Not sure if I missed it somewhere but what foam are you using and where did you get it?

A fellow 6' 7"! Glad to meet you! The foam I'm using is a 4 pack of EVA connect-a-mat 60cm x 60cm, 1cm thick foam mats that I got at Home Depot.

Happy Halloween...

image (48).jpeg

Update for the COD piece, all the separate pieces are built but I have yet to put them together.

image (50).jpeg

The plan is to have these three pieces glued together for the sides and have the butt plate attached with a strap and the front plate with a strap and buckle.

image (51).jpeg

I do have a question though, am I able to install the straps and buckles into it now? Or does that have to wait until after sealing/painting?
The reference photo I've been looking at from vivalablake89's Emile build shows the buckle installed before painting so I assume I'm ok but I figured I'd ask just in case.

photo 1 (1).JPG
(vivalablake89's COD piece)

Man lovely job, what are you using for your cut lines mine have been really jagged especially with the angled cuts. so envious right now.:lol

Wow, I never thought someone would use my stuff for referencing haha I'm honored, and to answer your question Its really up to you whether you want to put the clips on before or after you paint. I put them on before I painted for a test fit and made sure it was the perfect size before I proceeded to seal and paint. All I did when painting was wrap the clips in some painters tape, so if you want to put clips on any of your parts and pieces before you seal and paint it is doable. Just make sure you cover them in painters tape before doing so. COD's looking great by the way keep up the awesome work Bro!

Wow, I never thought someone would use my stuff for referencing haha I'm honored, and to answer your question Its really up to you whether you want to put the clips on before or after you paint. I put them on before I painted for a test fit and made sure it was the perfect size before I proceeded to seal and paint. All I did when painting was wrap the clips in some painters tape, so if you want to put clips on any of your parts and pieces before you seal and paint it is doable. Just make sure you cover them in painters tape before doing so. COD's looking great by the way keep up the awesome work Bro!

Thanks for the tip! I know I've got painters tape somewhere so I'll be sure to do that! All I've got to do now is tear apart a spare backpack in the storage room for those buckles.

But your work is SO AWESOME!!! This won't be the last thing of yours I'll be referencing, I'm a big fan of that shotgun you've got there, here's hoping I can live up to it. :D

A fellow 6' 7"! Glad to meet you! The foam I'm using is a 4 pack of EVA connect-a-mat 60cm x 60cm, 1cm thick foam mats that I got at Home Depot.

If you are anywhere near a Harbor Freight, they have it for less than HD does. 17 days left now dude!!

Man lovely job, what are you using for your cut lines mine have been really jagged especially with the angled cuts. so envious right now.:lol

You might want to use a fresh blade when doing your angle cuts. A dull blade will pull the foam a bit before it cuts it, which give it that jagged look. You could also get a kitchen knife sharpener. Most large chain supermarkets carry them. Don't try a sharpening stone either.....you will never get the correct angle for a sharp edge. I've been using the same blade for about 3 weeks. Its a heavy box cutter w/ the single sided trapezoid shape blade. Once the tip breaks I either flip the blade to the other end or put in a new one. It save a lot of money and I get smooth cuts all the time.

Wait until Black Friday......They always have those on sale for about 8 buck a pack. I pick up about 5-6 then.

Thanks bro appreciate that, and good luck with the shotgun, heads up I used the Pep file in the reach files for size referencing and making my own templates, its tedious and takes awhile but worth it lol. Also if you run out of straps because I was thinking the same as you just cutting off of an old back pack, you may want to invest in Black 1 inch Nylon strap roll, and 1 inch black plastic buckles both are on Amazon for pretty cheap.

Also thanks Dirtdives you just reminded me I need to take a trip to Harbor Freight after work, running low on foam ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably have to take that offer on the buckles and straps from amazon, my backpack scavenging hunt has not produced any results so far unfortunately, haven't given up hope yet.

In the meantime, I've found an old pair of shoes that still fit me but I tell you, these things have seen much better days.
image (52).jpegimage (53).jpeg
It's ripped in so many places and the soles are REALLY worn out...they're perfect.

Going to bring these things new life as a pair of new shiny spartan boots!!!

Update on the shoes:

I got one of these suckers done! Took me a while and still needs some little touch ups but for the most part I'm really happy with how it turned out!

IMG_2492.JPGIMG_2493.JPGIMG_2494.JPG

I'll have more pictures when the second is finished! (Even when I'm only wearing one of them I feel like a badass walking around :D)

Thanks! And funny you should ask that, I did a test for yesterday after I finished the second boot.

IMG_2502.JPGIMG_2501.JPGIMG_2504.JPG
I do do intend to make knee guards later and detailed craft clam inside that area behind the shin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back