3-D Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
captain-bluto said:
any updates on this project ???????

Sorry, i´m still working on the first testbuild of the snakehead, and don´t know how it will turn out jet.

It just seems like time is running faster lately. If i keep working on it at this pace, it will probably

take about one or two weeks, hopefully less.

Here´s a picture what i have so far....

snakehead_testbuild1.jpg

the only possible problem i see, it might need supports and maybe its to smal (again).

I fixed the shoulders of the collar thoug. If you like, i could upload the pep´s without doing another testbuild.

Its just a minor change so it should turn out just nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
becouse the changes made to the collar were minor.

i see no reason that they cant be posted to the thread

i look forward to building this one

i simply cannot thank you enough for stepping forward ond building the 3-d and converting them to pep foy us all . this is a really cool thing you have done for all of us

ps just incase you wanted to pep a few weapons too

im still looking for really good photos of the zats and tors

So is there links for the pep files for the Jaffa helmet available yet or does it still need unfolded because I want me one lol.

Nintendude said:
So is there links for the pep files for the Jaffa helmet available yet or does it still need unfolded because I want me one lol.

well... not yet, but there will be. Right now i just have the collar and the snakehead converted to pep´s. For the other ones there is

still some work to do.

anyway.... here are the files for the collar, letter and A4. Scaling instructions are in the pep. You might have to rearange parts after scaling thoug.

collar_Letter

collar_A4

Let me know if there are mistakes , or if something need to be added. Have Fun!

Woe, I do not know what to say or how to say this. But I am a huge fan of Stargate SG 1. When I first saw your post I was going to recommend making the cast of the headdress. So you can modify it to wear. But you're not looking to where that particular headdress. Question for you, did you find the help he needed. I look just quickly in short time. Please let me know how this came out for you.

draco61 said:
Woe, I do not know what to say or how to say this. But I am a huge fan of Stargate SG 1. When I first saw your post I was going to recommend making the cast of the headdress. So you can modify it to wear. But you're not looking to where that particular headdress. Question for you, did you find the help he needed. I look just quickly in short time. Please let me know how this came out for you.

Sorry, but i don´t realy know what you are trying to ask, and to whom this question is adressed. What kind of headdress you mean?

to caption-bluto... i like the tor alot, so i modeled it ruffly at the train to work today. I might unfold it, but i think its better if someone else do the

testbuilds. Any voluntiers?

The first low-res render:

tor_testrender1.jpg

subsurved and smoothed:

tor_testrender2.jpg

and ruffly textured:

tor_testrender3.jpg

any more pictures of the tor? Can´t figure out how the detailes should look like.

so... what do you think?

well so far i have been unable to find better pictures of the tor gun , the quest goes on though.

i wouldnt worry about the deiails too much decouse those will have to be put in when the bondo layers go on

i might have a picture thst shows the detail on the top front section of the gun .

i will post that pic later on tonight when i get on my computer

i will do the test build on the tor if you like .

let me know if you need my email adress to forward the tor or if you wish just post it to the thread and we can get multible test builds, realy though i think the tor looks fine .

wow ,the work you are doing is fantastic , i cant wait to see what you can do for the staff weapon and the zat .

it is my hope to be able to use these files to make something slightly more rigid than paperstock props

i will probably use plastic sheets and transfer the pep pieces to those so that it has a lot more structure and weight and can stand up to wear at the conventions.

one of the things that i constantly hear on the stargate costuming and prop building sights is a huge lack of people that can reliably produce the weapon props and costume pieces .

it is no longer the reality where those of us who want stargate stuff have to depend on others to produce items for us ,this is what you have made happen,

now we can do it ourselves for far less than it would cost to buy the licensed items .

i cannot begin to express just how cool this is of you . with what you have done we can now even out the odds at conventions and

make the leagons of jaffa represented plus it also give the sg teams something to shoot at ...lol .

to draco61 ....

i do plan on wearing these items becouse as i have said i see all kinds of sg team members at the conventions but i never see any jaffa,.

that is why i started this thread . i want to see jaffa at these kind of shows .

it is something that someone can do with out spending huge amounts of money on buying props and costume pieces,if one is able to build it themselves.

which is why i posted this public cry for help .

the greatest part is that backbone answered the call and got us all very excited over the work he has done and the reality of further celebrating our love of stargate in public and in costume .

i think that this is truly wonderfull and he deserves more praise than i know how to give .

for years i have wanted to do something like this but needed some help as i know very little about how one makes 3-d models .

i have little experience at pep designing but i can build it from a file that has been provided .

he has given that help expecting nothing in return and has made a friend of me .

captain-bluto said:
well so far i have been unable to find better pictures of the tor gun , the quest goes on though.

i wouldnt worry about the deiails too much decouse those will have to be put in when the bondo layers go on

i might have a picture thst shows the detail on the top front section of the gun .

i will post that pic later on tonight when i get on my computer

i will do the test build on the tor if you like .

let me know if you need my email adress to forward the tor or if you wish just post it to the thread and we can get multible test builds, realy though i think the tor looks fine .

wow ,the work you are doing is fantastic , i cant wait to see what you can do for the staff weapon and the zat .

it is my hope to be able to use these files to make something slightly more rigid than paperstock props

i will probably use plastic sheets and transfer the pep pieces to those so that it has a lot more structure and weight and can stand up to wear at the conventions.

one of the things that i constantly hear on the stargate costuming and prop building sights is a huge lack of people that can reliably produce the weapon props and costume pieces .

it is no longer the reality where those of us who want stargate stuff have to depend on others to produce items for us ,this is what you have made happen,

now we can do it ourselves for far less than it would cost to buy the licensed items .

i cannot begin to express just how cool this is of you . with what you have done we can now even out the odds at conventions and

make the leagons of jaffa represented plus it also give the sg teams something to shoot at ...lol .

Good to see that you apreciate it.

I don´t know if plastic sheets are such a good idea. There are alot of small faces put together, might be very hard to build. I would try to resin it and the fill

the whole thing with something like liquid wood.

Do you know the dimensions of the tor? I was unable to figure it out yesterday, so i´m just halfway finished with unfolding. Today i added all the needed cuts,

so its just a matter of about half an hour to unfold it properly.

And i started modeling the zat afterwards. You can expect the first pictures tomorow. The easy thing will be to make one open and one closed version, but i think i will experiment with this one a little more. Maybe we manage to create a working folding mechanism.

Oh... and about the testbuild(s). I will upload peps with a revision in the name, like you would do with software, starting with alpha0.

After some feedback from you guys, we will go from alpha to beta and from beta to final. I guess this is the most practicle way to do it.

This gives more people the oportunity to help out, and this way it is clear if the pep or the mesh may still contain errors or not.

By the way.... that i´m not asking anything in return is just the right thing to do. I got tons and tons of help over literaly more than a decade from forums like this, and didn´t had to spend a thing. Plus i´m curius what your results will look like.

Edit:

now i found the dimensions.

The true name of this weapon is Transphase Eradication Rod or T.E.R.

Thus with tor you don`t find much.I allso found a nice 360 rotation gif.

after looking at the first image of your t e r, i agree thatif i used sheet plastic it would probably take forever to build the prop .

i think i will attempt this with card stock , resin and rigid foam .

that should make the body solid enough to tool in the detail in bondo.

cant wait to see the zat

Finished the pep´s for the ter today. Seems like i overestimated my pep-skills. Took me a lot longer than i had thougt. Therefore i had less time to work on

the zat, but i have still some pictures to show off.

You can grab the ter pep´s here:

TER_A4_alpha0

TER_Letter_alpha0

ter_gun_ltr_alpha1

ter_gun_A4_alpha1

ter_gun_A4_alpha2

ter_gun_ltr_alpha2

ter_gun_A4_beta0

ter_gun_ltr_beta0

so, anyone who grab those files, please post your feedback here, in order to iron out all kinks and errors.

About the zat: i modeled the parts separated from each other, instead of one solid mesh. I will spend the next days working on the joints.

Rigging and Animating to test the folding movement is what i want to do next. Moving parts will obviously require more time to do but

in the meantime you can allways build the ter ;)

ruff model:

zat_testrender1.jpg

subsurfed and smoothed:

zat_testrender2.jpg

and ruffly textured:

zat_testrender3.jpg

have fun!

the zat gun looks sweeeeeeeet .

i dont think it will be to hard to figure out a way to make it unfold like the ones on the show .

at least i think i will try to make mine do that

do you think that you will need more referance on the staff weapon ?

BackBONE said:
Finished the pep´s for the ter today. Seems like i overestimated my pep-skills. Took me a lot longer than i had thougt. Therefore i had less time to work on

the zat, but i have still some pictures to show off.

You can grab the ter pep´s here:

TER_A4_alpha0

TER_Letter_alpha0

so, anyone who grab those files, please post your feedback here, in order to iron out all kinks and errors.

Looks like you've got some normals inverted. You can see them more plainly if you change the 3d view from white or color+texture to shade.

captain-bluto said:
the zat gun looks sweeeeeeeet .

i dont think it will be to hard to figure out a way to make it unfold like the ones on the show .

at least i think i will try to make mine do that

do you think that you will need more referance on the staff weapon ?

The folding of the "main"-parts might be easy. The challenging part, i gues, is the head that splits up when unfolded.

But i´m shure we figure something out.

As i tried to figure out the dimensions of the ter, i found a lot of pictures of the staff. In fact, i found more pictures of the

staff than any other stargate prop, but thanks for asking.

to MrOreo123:

Yes, your right. There where 3 Faces inside the handle, messing up the edge flow. Thus recalculating the normals (i do before exporting) didn´t work that well.

At least i learnd that red lines mean non-manifold edges in pepakura. I forgot to close the pointy back end aswell.I Fixed the model, but i will finish unfolding it tomorow.

Edit:

slowly i get the hang of pepakura, i unfolded it diferently this time, grab the new files below.

ter_gun_ltr_alpha1

ter_gun_A4_alpha1

BackBONE said:
to MrOreo123:

Yes, your right. There where 3 Faces inside the handle, messing up the edge flow. Thus recalculating the normals (i do before exporting) didn´t work that well.

At least i learnd that red lines mean non-manifold edges in pepakura. I forgot to close the pointy back end aswell.I Fixed the model, but i will finish unfolding it tomorow.

Almost there, Backbone. I hate to say it, but now they're ALL inverted. Just gotta flip 'em all the other way, and you should be good. :) As for unfolding tips, check out my unfolding tut in the video section. I think it might help reduce the part count and make for an easier build. Other than that, excellent work!

Well, i shouldn´t hit flip faces, after loading the mesh, but it was quite messy anyway.

Your tutorial helpt a lot! It took me a few houres,but i think that i made my best unfold so far. I was experimenting with diferent edge setups, and

was able to drop the partcount below 100.

Its hopefully a lot easyer to build now. The snakehead will probably need a cleaner unfold too. All the little parts, made it troublesome

to assemble, but i guess i learnd my lesson.

Without further due, alpha2

ter_gun_A4_alpha2

ter_gun_ltr_alpha2

have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back