Props 3D Print Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chisum

I previously printed a BR 55 Battle Rifle with a 60% fill. Dropped it once at Con and it shattered into 6 pieces. Looking for recommendations on a better fill ratio on the print?

I previously printed a BR 55 Battle Rifle with a 60% fill. Dropped it once at Con and it shattered into 6 pieces. Looking for recommendations on a better fill ratio on the print?
24% is my magic number for one printer and 20% for the other. Those values are the lowest I go to prevent pillowing on the top surfaces while keeping weight of the prop down. I've never had a shatter, what was the adhesive you used?

Locite Epoxy and Bondo. Only one seem broke, the rest were fractures in the print. Must have just perfect when I dropped it from the truck and struck butt first.

I found perimeters do more than infill for strength. I print most of my stuff with 10% but 3 perimeters. I can recommend looking into ABS as well, dropped a prop before and got only a few scratches and dents in it.

So, as an engineer IRL, there's a very very good reason that perimeters add more strength vs. more infill. If you think of a beam of material, say steel....and you try to bend it, primarily the top and the bottom parts of the steel are bending the most. So, if you have more solid material in a part along the outer edges, the more bending you can take up before it breaks! :)

So, as an engineer IRL, there's a very very good reason that perimeters add more strength vs. more infill. If you think of a beam of material, say steel....and you try to bend it, primarily the top and the bottom parts of the steel are bending the most. So, if you have more solid material in a part along the outer edges, the more bending you can take up before it breaks! :)
Oh boy I remember that subject and the horrible math

bender-laughing-gif-1.gif

I mean....bending is no joke! :p
This is why I went CEng, I'll whip up a controller for you or be a code monkey but finite element analysis gets me sweating.

Material properties are also another consideration along with print settings. I'm not sure about all brands of filament but eSun includes a data sheet for all of their materials in every box. The particularly handy entries when choosing a material for props are the tensile yield strength, flexural modulus and impact strength to help gauge how well a piece will react to clumsiness.

We print in 5% infill with 5 perimeters. The durability is excellent. As stated previously here, the perimeters are extremely important to strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back