3D Printed ODST Journey (Starts Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuts4Accuracy

So, First the Star wars episode VIII trailer comes out. And I receive my 3D printer on the same day Yay!

My 3D printer is a flashforge 2016 creator pro. Had good reviews and seemed to not let anyone down even for a cheap printer ($1419 AUD) , so far it hasn't cause me troubles. (Other than getting the manual calibrations correct, took me an hour, but I have no experience so meh) Much more quieter than I expected, so I can sleep through it.

I tested a small test cube that came on the SD card... Looks great

Now lets start. I've just downloaded Dutch Prop's model from myminifactory (Looks great Jeffrey!) scaled it from another guys recommendation (29cm overall length) and sliced the Jaw to fit onto the bed. Printing right now but it looks beutiful so far.

Now the wait game, 7 hours until jaw is done.

(Image of printer below from prior test)

IMG_0249.JPG

Ooooohhh another 3d printed ODST build! If you need any files, just tell me. I pretty much got all odst files converted and smoothed for 3d printing

Can't wait to see your process.

Tip: Keep your eye on that scaling with you start printing because it can change by itself.

It happen on some computer where it will think it the original file and it rescale it back. Just dont click open the wrong file. another then that you should be good

IMG_0251.JPG
Status update. 90% printed front part (Jaw)

Midnight.

xD

*Edit* Just finished printing. Will take pics in morning with better light.

One problem I noticed was that when I sliced the model a side was slightly floating, so it didn't print too good on the end, but It's a quick fix with bondo.

Last edited:
It happen on some computer where it will think it the original file and it rescale it back. Just dont click open the wrong file. another then that you should be good

Yep it just happened. Had the cut piece scaled for print. once it was printed] something was off, like by 10%... I'm going to be using ready sliced pieces now from thingerverse.

Also I didn't seem to like the scale, so I'm using the original scale now, and I'm going to print it in higher resoultion this time.

Still need a lot to learn in terms of 3d printing

Anyways, while that's getting printed, I've been studying blender for the past few days to make my own custom 3D model... (Because I'm cheap)

So far it's hard. I don't know how to align the vertex to an angle, so I can keep the model uniform.

In short. I hate blender.

Capture.PNG
side.PNG
Capture2.PNG

I'm not familiar with "the wheel"

If you're talking about the curvature of the 3d model, I wasn't sure how to make a high poly sphere dome for the top...

I think he's using the phrase to ask why make a custom model when there's already some out there (The Proverbial 'reinvention' being making your own model instead of using someone elses- The wheel that already has been invented).

Just a guess.

I think he's using the phrase to ask why make a custom model when there's already some out there (The Proverbial 'reinvention' being making your own model instead of using someone elses- The wheel that already has been invented).

Just a guess.

If that were the case it's because of molding rights. I want to make a odst set in the future with my own molding rights :p

So far I've stopped on the helmet until i can get more filament, and made a M6G, not accurate, but it's going to be strapped to the waist like the landfall, so i didn't bother too much with detail and functionality. Pics prob tomorrow...

Helmet came out amazing. Did you model this helmet yourself?

No, I'm not talented enough to do 3D models. This was modelled by Jeffrey from Dutch Props.

I just printed, glued, reinforced and smoothed the front at this stage.

I still have to fill up some of the gaps, a little more reinforcing, smoothing and make some visor from the buck.

Last edited:
Did some pepakura conversions, slight modifications and scaling.

untitled.png

I should also note, I don't intend to print all these pieces. Most of the Landfall odst armor pieces are so simple, i could carve them out of foam, there's no point in wasting filament on them. (Also taking into account some pieces are innaccurate anyway)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back