1st Build 3D Printed Reach Spartan ft. AKIS

spitzkitz

Hey there peeps! I'm spitzkitz, I've been poking around on the Discord for a while so you may have seen some of my progress.
But now I'm here to make a thread!

This isn't my first time 3D printing armor (see my profile pic lol) and not my first exposure to halo armor nervously glances at piles of foam and unfinished peps, but in any case it's the first time I plan to actually finish!

I've bought myself armor smith and began printing some pieces already (notably biceps and forearms), and in addition modeled the AKIS/GRD helmet from Halo: Reach to be 3D printable so I'll be trying that out soon.

I can post more pics soon, but for now here's an armorsmith shot.
Screenshot 2021-02-08 213259.png

Starting up printing again! Just got a massive swath of filament in the mail so I'm ready to go. If it ends up being good I'll probably buy from this manufacturer from now on (they're based in the U.S.!!)

For now, here's some nice screenies of a before and after of the AKIS helmet prepared for printing.
1614457442537.png
1614457820190.png

I'm planning on also making a version that lacks the "camera" so that it could maybe fit a GoPro or something.
Any thoughts on the model? Thanks :)

I'm not distracted, you're distracted.

Just finished making a high-detail model of the Halo: Reach grenade launcher, so now I'm trying to make it printable. At the moment some pieces are intersecting, so itll take some time. But look! She purty.

1614823083583.png

I also plan on making it semi-functional (can be opened and loaded with a dummy grenade) so that'll be fun! Worst-case scenario I give up and it's just a decoration lol

I'm not distracted, you're distracted.

Just finished making a high-detail model of the Halo: Reach grenade launcher, so now I'm trying to make it printable. At the moment some pieces are intersecting, so itll take some time. But look! She purty.

View attachment 303605

I also plan on making it semi-functional (can be opened and loaded with a dummy grenade) so that'll be fun! Worst-case scenario I give up and it's just a decoration lol
OOOOO that is looking pretty!

Hey guys! Been pretty busy with life, but I just finished repairing a Prusa i3 I was kindly donated so I'll have even MORE PRINTING POWER!

So basically yeah that's all from me lol. Been chipping away at the grenade launcher and just finished modeling the UGPS from reach as well! I couldn't see any files of it around so I went ahead and made it. I'll probs release it in the free 3d model index once I make sure it's all good for printing/etc but yeah!

It's hollowed out-ish so you can place electronics and whatnot inside if you so wish (I'll probably use my phone in there lol).
unknown.png

unknown.png

Hopefully I'll get back to printing soon! Til then.... ;)

So, good news and bad news.

Good news:
I just bought a broken Ender 3 pro v2 off of a friend for $50, which was an amazing price. I keep buying printers..........I need help. Or a girlfriend. Or both. In any case, I have 5 potentially functioning printers!

Bad(?) news:
I no longer have reasons to keep pushing off the rest of the armor

Any ideas what I should start with next? I was thinking of doing the chestpiece but I am also considering doing some other boring bits in the meantime while i carefully plan it

The helmet will definitely be last so I don't add another helmet to my hoard of unfinished suits lol

solid idea... now I know what I'm doing today!
And print them I did! I tried it out on the "broken" printer I was given, turns out it came pre-installed with a 0.8mm nozzle and the guy had no idea. He thought it was an extruder clog, but it was just wrong settings lol.

Ill probs swap it back to 0.4 for the detail, but it works ok! Printed these out REAL quick and they look pretty good. I just don't like the areas that needed support but I could probs tune it..

Pic time:
1616268186868.png

While I decide what piece to print next, I am working on the AKIS helmet again. I am unsatisfied with my previous work, so yeah.
1616437697203.png

Lots of pretty creasing this time, too. Note how the vents are separated (and I hid the camera for now). This should make solidifying parts easier, I think. Also looking into separating the neckpiece this time around too.

This looks beautiful so far!
I assume you are going to print the helmet in a bunch of different pieces?

Have you considered using the hatchbox wood pla filament? it isnt as strong but it sands really easily

This looks beautiful so far!
I assume you are going to print the helmet in a bunch of different pieces?

Have you considered using the hatchbox wood pla filament? it isnt as strong but it sands really easily
Thanks! A great suggestion, though there exists some filament out there that sands even better, like PLA+. Available from Sunlu or Inland (apparently identical soooo)
Going to give that a shot for my helmet!

Depending on how large it ends up being, I may do several pieces or one piece. I have access to a large-bed printer that I could use, so I'll see once I get there.

Thanks! A great suggestion, though there exists some filament out there that sands even better, like PLA+. Available from Sunlu or Inland (apparently identical soooo)
Going to give that a shot for my helmet!

Depending on how large it ends up being, I may do several pieces or one piece. I have access to a large-bed printer that I could use, so I'll see once I get there.
Oh I didn't know about that. I'm currently using the wood filament for a helmet and I'm going to reinforce it with fiberglass.
I'm interested to see how the PLA + works

Hey guys! Been a hot minute. Finished up the AKIS helmet last night, so that's sick. I don't really like GRD so I didn't model it (and how tf am I supposed to see out of it anyway). I have some more details in my Modeling Quest thread, but here's an image anyway.
1616798938675.png

Soooo, up next.... I'm thinking the shins?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back