3D printer Bowden Tubing failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnAgileKoala

Does anyone know how to get the Bowden Tube to stay in the feeder on the Ender 3 Pro? It will print fine for a few minutes then the tubing will slip out. I’ve looked into it on Google but most of what I’m finding is it a common problem some people replace parts some people just use other means to hold it in place. Any tips would be great appreciated as I am new to 3D printing.

Do you have a clamp like this on your bowden tube? Could be any colour, mine on a CR10s is blue.
1641772104269.png

This slips in between the two rubbery rings that are attached to the brass connectors at each end of the tube. Pushing the rings together is supposed to release the tube from the connectors, so having this clamp in place stops them from sliding together under vibrations/movement and releasing the tube.

I'd just buy replacement tubing, usually it comes with the connectors and you'll need it eventually anyway. Ender 3s get under extrusion issues very commonly, and whenever it happens on mine I have to replace the nozzle and reseat/replace the Bowden tube.

I do vaguely recall having issues with the stock connecters, AFAIK the clips PlanetAlexander mentioned worked until I got an aftermarket set. Just had to 3D print them.

Had the same issue once early on with my Ender 5. Made sure the tube was sat in the coupler properly and redid the clip which solved the problem. Swapped over to this a few months ago Amazon.com: Creality Upgrade 3D Printer Kit with Capricorn Premium XS Bowden Tubing 1M, PTFE Teflon Tube Cutter, Pneumatic Fittings and MK8 Socks and Extra Nozzles for Ender 3/3 Pro/5 CR-10 Series/10S/20/20 Pro : Industrial & Scientific as the stock tube started to get torn up around hot end and extruder. The parts are much easier to work with then the ones that came on the printer.

Make sure you are installing the bowden tube correctly. Hold the collar down with a fingernail:

20220110_084734.jpg

Insert tube till it won't go further.

20220110_084815.jpg

Pull collar up with a fingernail while pushing the tube down. You should feel a faint click in the collar when it has been pulled up enough, that is the metal teeth biting into the bowden tube.

20220110_084851.jpg

Insert retainer ring, and you shouldn't have a problem with it popping out ever again.

20220110_084906.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention something important: Make sure the end of your tube is cut flat and flush. The flush cutters that come with most 3D printer kits is usually good enough for the job, or you can use a razor blade. The specialty cutters work, but really it just needs to be flat enough to seat properly, so you don't have to buy a specialty tool if you don't want to.

Last edited:
Do you have a clamp like this on your bowden tube? Could be any colour, mine on a CR10s is blue.
View attachment 312848
This slips in between the two rubbery rings that are attached to the brass connectors at each end of the tube. Pushing the rings together is supposed to release the tube from the connectors, so having this clamp in place stops them from sliding together under vibrations/movement and releasing the tube.
I have the blue one but the tube still pops out.

Make sure you are installing the bowden tube correctly. Hold the collar down with a fingernail:

View attachment 312881

Insert tube till it won't go further.

View attachment 312882

Pull collar up with a fingernail while pushing the tube down. You should feel a faint click in the collar when it has been pulled up enough, that is the metal teeth biting into the bowden tube.

View attachment 312883

Insert retainer ring, and you shouldn't have a problem with it popping out ever again.

View attachment 312884

Edit: Forgot to mention something important: Make sure the end of your tube is cut flat and flush. The flush cutters that come with most 3D printer kits is usually good enough for the job, or you can use a razor blade. The specialty cutters work, but really it just needs to be flat enough to seat properly, so you don't have to buy a specialty tool if you don't want to.
That’s how I have been installing it. I’ll check to see if the end is cut flat, thanks for the tip.

I have the blue one but the tube still pops out.
The retainer ring doesn't keep the tube from popping out, it's not a pressure fitting, the ring doesn't hold the tube at all. All the retainer ring does is keep the collar from being pressed down after the coupler is set. If the coupler isn't set properly it doesn't matter if the retainer ring is in or not.

Make sure you are pushing the PTFE tube all the way into the fitting. If it's not in far enough the coupler can't grab onto the tube when you pull the collar up. It goes deeper than you think:

20220112_141659.jpg20220112_141735.jpg

The retainer ring doesn't keep the tube from popping out, it's not a pressure fitting, the ring doesn't hold the tube at all. All the retainer ring does is keep the collar from being pressed down after the coupler is set. If the coupler isn't set properly it doesn't matter if the retainer ring is in or not.

Make sure you are pushing the PTFE tube all the way into the fitting. If it's not in far enough the coupler can't grab onto the tube when you pull the collar up. It goes deeper than you think:

View attachment 312954View attachment 312955
I’ve tried pushing it in all the way then pulling the collar out and putting the stopper in a bunch and even had other people try it incase I was just messing it up but it kept popping off. I ordered the parts recommended by S225 and it seems to be working for now. It’s been printing for an hour now without the failure but I’ll keep trying to figure out the old part to try to make it useable for the future.

Had the same issue once early on with my Ender 5. Made sure the tube was sat in the coupler properly and redid the clip which solved the problem. Swapped over to this a few months ago Amazon.com: Creality Upgrade 3D Printer Kit with Capricorn Premium XS Bowden Tubing 1M, PTFE Teflon Tube Cutter, Pneumatic Fittings and MK8 Socks and Extra Nozzles for Ender 3/3 Pro/5 CR-10 Series/10S/20/20 Pro : Industrial & Scientific as the stock tube started to get torn up around hot end and extruder. The parts are much easier to work with then the ones that came on the printer.
I ordered the parts you recommended and It’s been printing for an hour now without the tube failure, which is the longest it’s been since my one successful print. Thank you very much for the tip.

Sometimes those couplers break. I had one break recently too. If the small metal piece that bites into the tube in gone/damaged, there isn't really anything you can do other than replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back