3D-Printing Discussion Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cendrilth

3D-Printing Discussions, Tips & Tricks

Hey everyone :D

Since many of us seem to have 3D printers and are using them for Propmaking and Costume building
we had the idea of starting a discussion & help thread on the forums as not to clog up the other communication channels
with 3D-Printing blabbering.

Feel free to ask questions or post any tips, tricks, projects where you need help figuring out whats wrong and so on.
We also had the idea to share print profiles for different machines & materials that work out great etc.
I'll be updating the main Post here with any profiles and important advice so that you can see the most important stuff right ahead ;)
Also if you have good filament suppliers in Europe please post them here with a little description why you like their filament in particular,
all of us will appreciate it :p

Recommended Filament brands/sellers

Printer Profiles

I'll make the start because I already have a question in mind:

I've printed this wonderful 3D model for the Halo:Reach Shotgun from thingiverse and it's sliced in
many parts that had to be assembled. I glued all the parts together with 2 part Epoxy-Glue and over the
course of assembly and 3 Cons the prop broke in half after every event (4 times in total)...
I tried superglue, 2-Part-Epoxy and special plastic glue but I think PLA is just not the right material
for me or that length of a prop. I've also tried sanding the areas where I applied the glue beforehand
but that also didnt help. Do you have any ideas how I can glue this thing so it will last more than one Con
without snapping in half?
It's printed in standard Janbex black PLA, but I get the feeling for the nex big project
I really want to upgrade my printer with an enclosure so it can print ABS.

51174429_335989303789594_7933531788584928664_n.jpg 50773362_2082213051854536_9202295987735790449_n.jpg 51913055_501639383699021_8880520088874970788_n.jpg

I've printed this wonderful 3D model for the Halo:Reach Shotgun from thingiverse and it's sliced in
many parts that had to be assembled. I glued all the parts together with 2 part Epoxy-Glue and over the
course of assembly and 3 Cons the prop broke in half after every event (4 times in total)...
I tried superglue, 2-Part-Epoxy and special plastic glue but I think PLA is just not the right material
for me or that length of a prop. I've also tried sanding the areas where I applied the glue beforehand
but that also didnt help. Do you have any ideas how I can glue this thing so it will last more than one Con
It's printed in standard Janbex black PLA, but I get the feeling for the nex big project

View attachment 287283 View attachment 287284 View attachment 287285

It's not the material itself. ABS will also "like" to break, maybe a bit later, but still not be that rigid as you'd like. The best idea would be to use Meshmixer and include guides for the next print or even better, place holes in it with Meshmixer, so you can put metal, wood or plastic rods or even small chunks in it when gluing it together. This will significantly strengthen the part and take lots of stress from the glued contact areas.
I also have a knife from Alice Madness Returns and have to redo it with a wooden inlay to connect blade with handle, as it always breaks way too easy.

I recently noticed older prints developing cracks between the layers due to temp stress so its not the best material for cosmetic parts. I still use it for structural parts like a sat dish holder but nothing that has to look pretty. PETG has a lot of the pros abs has but apparently its less likely to crack.

I use superglue initially, then I create a groove along join with V shaped attachment on woodburner, then 'solder' the v shaped join with a 3d pen, and then use flat end on a wood burner to level off any excess PLA. Then I sand it as flat as possible, apply filler if needed, etc etc. For longer, bigger props, I put holes in and run a dowel or rod through first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back