405th Gun Owners (Firearms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing some very impressive guns here. I come from Canada, which as you probably know has stricter gun laws, and as a result, less gun culture. Fully automatic guns here are completely illegal, Bushmasters and other civilian AR type rifles require a restricted firearms license, and handguns are tightly controlled and all legally sold pistols have to be registered. This registry also applies to all shotguns and rifles.

My question is, why do so many of you want to be able to carry a concealed handgun? I'm not trying to cause controversy, I'm just interested. Nobody would be allowed to carry a concealed handgun up here, not even some law enforcement. What is your reasoning for carrying a concealed firearm, why do you need it?

Again I'm not criticizing, just asking cause I'm interested.

Your question was well written.I think the reasons are different for each of us. For some it is an expression of freedom: being the captains of our own destiny. For others it is from a sense of preparedness. For others it is out of necessity, whether they live in a remote or dangerous area or are in a line of work that could warrent the need for extra protection. For most of us it is not so we can be tough or cool, and I would actually discourage that as a reason. it is a very serious undertaking that warrants thought and education. I can only speak for myself and my family.

I am a family practice physician, and certain people might see me as a worth while target as they might think that I have one of three things on me worth stealing. 1. Money, 2. Prescription pad, 3. Drugs. The simple fact is that I almost never carry cash, I do not have a portable doctor bag full of medicine, and I do not use prescription pads. My prescriptions are printed via electronic medical records. However, I have had people attempt to accost me while I'm out and about and try to steal something I dont actually have. So I carry a gun, because crazy people and druggies just dont understand the word "NO".

A few years ago my wife worked as a rape crisis counselor and forensic interviewer who testified in court on behalf of molested children. These children were most often molested by one of their family members, and these court cases were bringing criminal charges against the perpetrators. My wife worked for the state at that time, and gave her testimonies while the perpetrator sat across the room. Being a state employee, her identity and work adress are not protected information. We recieved threats, and had more than one very alarming encounter because of this. My wife joined me in becoming a liscenced carrier of a concealed firearm. Someone who is insane enough to sexually assault their niece or daughter, is certainly insane enough to attack a grown woman who was testifying against them. And rapists also dont understand the word "NO".

I will never be a victim, nor will my wife. This does not make me Rambo, or tough, or cool. It is simply a decision. Any concealed weapons liscence comes with a large amount of accountability. Most states require that you submit your fingerprints to be filed in the FBI archives, and you undergo an extensive background check. Many states also require special training or classes. You basically have to prove you are a law abiding citizen.

Hope this adds a little insight.

Good answers. At first I just thought it was just an excuse for everybody with a sidearm and some time to feel like a secret agent. Now I see good reasoning behind CCW. Thanks for helping clarify my understanding of gun culture.

Its for self defense, and the defense of less fortunate people you happen to come across if your that much of a good person. The people who own guns for the wrong reason are why people need guns to defend themselves. Nice and simple.

Hollywood nailed the answer perfectly. Where I live I had to pass a 16hr training course, Pass an extensive background check, Submit my Prints when I filed for C7 (Auto Weapons License) and pass a Psychiatric Evaluation.

Ohio Attorney General also made a clear and open statement about CCW and Gun owners, "If someone breaks into your home and puts not only yourself, but your family at risk, The homeowner or tennant of residence shall not be persecuted for defending themselves and family."

One thing mentioned Durring my training was that i should avoid the use of my weapon if at all possible.

The CVS incident I was involved in, was something I never expected, I don't count myself a hero either. I was just picking up few extra goodies on the way home, while i was in back (20-30 ft and within clear view of the counter) in the Beer cave (This is about 3am by the way). A man walked in with a loaded 12g, I'm only guessing with the sound I heard when he shot a warning. I saw him rounding up the customers and the employees in th pharmacy area. I had my .45 AcP Revolver. He started getting testy with a the nite shift manager about the timelock safe ( Idiot should have done his homework.)
He got pissed and Hit the Manager, I saw him aim his weapon for a kill shot and I just reacted. I Use Hydroshock rounds given to me by a few military friends, I shot through the glass door and hit him in the shoulder. at about a 25ft distance. He dropped his gun and ran as best he could, He was gone before the police arrived. I filed a full report, and CVS sued me for destruction of Property.
The state dismissed their case and made insurance pay it instead.

I Carry out of Habbit and Necessity. I have extremely odd Karma or luck, what ever you want to call it.
I was asked to be interviewed by Channel 5, I refused out of the fact that the idgit was still loose.

When I comment on some things I feel I must give an example for where my information comes from.
I'm not a hero by any means.

Only reason I'd ever carry a gun is if I wanted to end people. That's what guns are designed to do, after all!

"HEY KID, BEFORE I BITE YOUR **** OFF, WHATS YER IP ADDRESS?"

"76.24.47.NOT HAPPENING *Blammo*"

Average response time of the police in the US: 4 minutes.

Average response time of a .357 Magnum: about 1700 FPS.

Hollywood nailed the answer perfectly. Where I live I had to pass a 16hr training course, Pass an extensive background check, Submit my Prints when I filed for C7 (Auto Weapons License) and pass a Psychiatric Evaluation.

Ohio Attorney General also made a clear and open statement about CCW and Gun owners, "If someone breaks into your home and puts not only yourself, but your family at risk, The homeowner or tennant of residence shall not be persecuted for defending themselves and family."

One thing mentioned Durring my training was that i should avoid the use of my weapon if at all possible.

The CVS incident I was involved in, was something I never expected, I don't count myself a hero either. I was just picking up few extra goodies on the way home, while i was in back (20-30 ft and within clear view of the counter) in the Beer cave (This is about 3am by the way). A man walked in with a loaded 12g, I'm only guessing with the sound I heard when he shot a warning. I saw him rounding up the customers and the employees in th pharmacy area. I had my .45 AcP Revolver. He started getting testy with a the nite shift manager about the timelock safe ( Idiot should have done his homework.)
He got pissed and Hit the Manager, I saw him aim his weapon for a kill shot and I just reacted. I Use Hydroshock rounds given to me by a few military friends, I shot through the glass door and hit him in the shoulder. at about a 25ft distance. He dropped his gun and ran as best he could, He was gone before the police arrived. I filed a full report, and CVS sued me for destruction of Property.
The state dismissed their case and made insurance pay it instead.

I Carry out of Habbit and Necessity. I have extremely odd Karma or luck, what ever you want to call it.
I was asked to be interviewed by Channel 5, I refused out of the fact that the idgit was still loose.

When I comment on some things I feel I must give an example for where my information comes from.
I'm not a hero by any means.

Your CVS incident is the very reason why our rights to bear arms should be protected. A perfect example is the situation here in San Diego where the drug cartel have connections on the U.S. side of the border and any civilian can be a target at any given time/day. I commend you on your brave actions but the ingrates from CVS should've been thankful instead.

Hollywood, I totally agree and empathize with you. I have my wife and two kids to protect if and when the need presents itself, so I am now looking into getting some weapons training and eventually become a gun owner. Unfortunately, California gun laws are not as lenient as the other states.

The only thing I know about Cali is that they have recently made any armorpiercing High power rifle along with certain handguns illegal.
But not all. Do I think this is a good idea on their part, no.

A 22, and up to 25 autos can do sime serious damage. I had a nice Italian 25 the name started with a V.
I know Taurus has some great conceal weapons that're allowed in all states. the Judge being one, I think Tact has one mentioned.
But I do think they allow 500 revolvers.

I will never be a victim, nor will my wife. This does not make me Rambo, or tough, or cool. It is simply a decision. Any concealed weapons liscence comes with a large amount of accountability. Most states require that you submit your fingerprints to be filed in the FBI archives, and you undergo an extensive background check. Many states also require special training or classes. You basically have to prove you are a law abiding citizen.

Hope this adds a little insight.
No, my friend. You are not Rambo and a lot of people will never think that you are cool. But you are a sheepdog, a title that carries far more honor and responsibility than any contrivance that Hollywood could muster. A growing class of individuals, the sheepdogs are people who refuse to be victims and utterly refuse to place their destinies in the hands of evil people. I, like you, will never be a victim and I will never allow evil to harm those whom I love. If what you say about yourself is true, neither will you. You have my absolute respect, sir.

For those that might still be a little shaky on the subject, try reading this article. It is written by a man named Mike Adams, a respected columnist and a Professor of Criminology at UNCW. This article is one of my favorites and it very well describes the mindset of the sheepdog. Please, I beg you to at least read it.

http://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/2007/06/11/three_kinds_of_people

The only thing I know about Cali is that they have recently made any armorpiercing High power rifle along with certain handguns illegal.
But not all. Do I think this is a good idea on their part, no.

A 22, and up to 25 autos can do sime serious damage. I had a nice Italian 25 the name started with a V.
I know Taurus has some great conceal weapons that're allowed in all states. the Judge being one, I think Tact has one mentioned.
But I do think they allow 500 revolvers.
the 50 cal, any automatic, any tracer rounds, or above 50caliber is banned.
I have my wife and two kids to protect if and when the need presents itself, so I am now looking into getting some weapons training and eventually become a gun owner. Unfortunately, California gun laws are not as lenient as the other states.
to start TD2235 buy a small 380 for a concealed weapon there nice and the recoil isn't to bad. they do i think allow a 500 nitro but there like $3000, and are hard to find, and get ammo for but go here to check all are horribly written gun laws. thats not the whole list but the whole list is here.

Thanks for the advice norox190! I am currently checking out the Walther PK380 which has great reviews on it's performance and how it can be easily concealed. It will probably be close to impossible to get CCW where I live but I will ask my friend from the SDPD. I am definitely going shopping in about a month or so.

I too am a gun owner.

My armory consists of the following: Ruger 10/22, a .22 single shot bolt action, an SKS, Mosin-Nagat 91/30, and I soon will add a Remington M1911 in .45 to the collection. Also I am waiting for my CHL to come in the mail. Gotta love it here in Texas!

On another note, concealed carry on campus passed in the Texas House today.

I too am a gun owner.

My armory consists of the following: Ruger 10/22, a .22 single shot bolt action, an SKS, Mosin-Nagat 91/30, and I soon will add a Remington M1911 in .45 to the collection. Also I am waiting for my CHL to come in the mail. Gotta love it here in Texas!

On another note, concealed carry on campus passed in the Texas House today.

Passed in Idaho yesterday.

I have a Ruger 10/22, composite stock, 22magnum caliber rifle.

It's in one of my parents name until I'm 18.

I'm planning on getting more firearms when I get older. I go hunting with my friend and his father every now and then.

As a result of content not appropriate to the forum, this thread is closed. Do not re-post or create a new topic related to owning firearms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back